Which drugs did Pynchon take and how do I procure them?

I'm assuming heavy doses of marijuana for one because of his rampant paranoia.

His marijuana abuse is the only informations we've got about his drug use in general. He was a big time chronic stoner, and an afidionado to this day, apparently.

>Like others, I spent a lot of time in jazz clubs, nursing the two-beer minimum. I put on horn-rimmed sunglasses at night. I went to parties in lofts where girls wore strange attire. I was hugely tickled by all forms of marijuana humour, though the talk back then was in inverse proportion to the availability of that useful substance.

there should be a name for the affect that imaginative, strange or otherwise super-human creative-output = induced by huge amounts of drugs. I hate that desu, I think it's a pretty low-brow thing for people to assume of artists.

But, as a smoker who reads Pynchon, it's very clear that a lot of his style is born from getting high because I can relate

who was the dude who claimed he met Pynchon and he was smoking chimneys of cannabis?

I wonder if he's ever taken DMT.

weed doesn't give you any experiences that you cannot get while sober. I'm not saying he didn't smoke a tone, because he probably did, but it's not all about weed duuude.

Also, I think it's a lowbrow assumption for you to make that a genuine artist can't partake in recreational (or chronic) drug usage.

Yeah, its just like the joke in Young Sheldon when he states that all musicians do drugs.

That's not what I said DUMB ASS!!!!

>weed doesn't give you any experiences that you cannot get while sober
u wot m8

>books about weed aren't about weed

>weed doesn't give you any experiences that you cannot get while sober.
pic related

And no shit it's not all about weed, but if one of the posters in this thread is contemplating trying a drug in order to emulate his style or understand a level of its influence over the mind

That would have to mean cannabis doesn't change your perspective at all which is obviously wrong.

I believe it. I'll stand by it.

I hit post on accident, don't really care to correct myself, you get the gist. pic was pic related tho

So you claim that smoking doesn't do anything at all? Its all placebo? thats a bold claim

You're right, you implied it SMART-ASS

There is no way he smoked. Its impossible to remember anything on dope, or was able to formulate any coherent thoughts at all

I DID NOT SAY THAT! I believe that anything you perceive or learn "from" being high can be experienced while sober. Smoking weed doesn't do anything but get you to a place that is otherwise more difficult to get to if you hadn't smoked and weren't high. It doesn't fucking change you, or shift you into a different state of consciousness - and I mean state without any kind of condescending angle.

No I didn't you fucking idiot. I said I don't like the assumption that crazy, brainy art is only the product of drugs. I never said it couldn't be, I never said that the assumption is always wrong. I was commenting on how tiring it is to have anything nearing surreal or psychedelic confronted by dorks going "wwooaaahh what the hell wasss hee onnnn maaaaan!"

Dude what, it's a mind altering drug -as named so by the DEA- with hallucinogenic effects on perception.

You are basically implying it. If you state of consciousness hasn't changed then obviously smoking did nothing at all.

And why does it bother you? Because you look down on drug usage. If you didn't, it wouldn't bother you, you'd just brush it off and say you're sober. Do more soul searching pleb

Doesn't matter. He is shit. Veeky Forums likes him because he writes such nonsense that they cannot be proven wrong in their opinions.

You guys are right, but I don't think weed is that nutty of a drug. It's pretty mild.

You don't even know me, or where I am coming from. You're not reading my posts, fuck off, have an argument with a wall dude. I smoke weed, I have for years, and I do other kinds of drugs too. I love the psychedelic and the imaginative, but I hate the idea that it is only glimpsed via substances or only ON them.
Fuck off you defensive, cuck stoner.

Nobody smokes weed to learn anything you absolute novice

>impossible to remember anything on dope
What about, oh I dunno, writing your thoughts down?
>Its impossible... or was able
Check urself m8.

That's kind of my point, but it doesn't seem like you see that or understand what I mean. Maybe that's my fault, maybe it's yours.

Lmao, your beliefs probably include santa Claus as well.

Not even learning what its like to smoke?

>demolished by a dumb ass stoner with a black-light Dark Side of the Moon poster on his wall
holy f!

Oh, you're one of THOSE people. Even worse bruh. If you're gonna smoke, be proud of it. Don't deny the fact that the artistic, free-spirited, and open souled aspects of you personality aren't exemplified by your drug usage. Go sober for more than a year, and watch how much you stiffen up. It's not a bad thing either. It just shows that drug use dies exemplify certain personality traits. Don't be one of the faggots who denies it and just accept it.

It is mild, unless you use it only once or twice a week or month. Then it's pretty fucking exhilarating

Maybe there's some truth here. But my initial complaint with that kind of approach to art is still valid. Don't care if you don't see how I do, but it is lame to hear people imply some works are only comprehensible on drugs or after having experience with drugs. Just a dumb, unintelligent perspective to hold.

>On the writing of Gravity's Rainbow, Pynchon reportedly told Siegel, "I was so fucked up while I was writing it . . . that now I go back over some of those sequences and I can't figure out what I could have meant."

>le quirky reclusive man

I chose not to believe this one.

PYNCHED

this is the most reddit gif I have ever seen
why does lit like him again

DUDE WEED LMAO

>Don't deny the fact that the artistic, free-spirited, and open souled aspects of you personality aren't exemplified by your drug usage. Go sober for more than a year, and watch how much you stiffen up.

I havent smoked for years and I'm infinitely more driven and creative than when I did smoke, lol it dosent do shit but get in your way IMO.

I should also add, if you don't even have the discipline or talent for you craft while sober then dont even bother with drugs, it wont help. "le drugs for creativity" is a meme generated by dilettante fucks who want easy ways in.