Will he take back what he said about Infinite Jest on his deathbed?

Will he take back what he said about Infinite Jest on his deathbed?

What will his last words be?

He can't think

He can't breathe

No discernible life

clever

I really believe that there are two reasons why Bloom said that about IJ:

1. DFW shits on him in the book.

2. Bloom actually takes his role seriously as a literary critic and has convinced himself that he needs to shit on younger writers because that's what every critic in the tradition has done. Has Bloom ever praised any writer born past 1950? This is a man who compared himself to Milton's Satan because of his perception of his influence on his generation's novelists.

he already said in some interview that he wants some poem to be his last thought/words

'i look back upon the places ive been and can no longer go' or something like that

"I wish I had read Gene Wolfe"

>At least DFW isn't where I'm going

thanks for the knowledgeable insight mayne

What did he say?

he said "no discreditably talent" or something like that

>*cough cough* s-show.....nomercy *wheeze*....to the goyim....he *cough* is an animal....in h-human *wheeze* form.....and e-exists....exists only.....to serve us *cough*....
>*dies*

>Has Bloom ever praised any writer born past 1950?

Kushner? That's about it.

Whatever he says is okay as long as it's not this: "And it IS a good book, it's a VERY good book."

I can't tell if Veeky Forums really likes Harold Bloom or if its just a meme.

His Western Canon list is pretty spot on

DELET

>Will he take back what he said about Infinite Jest on his deathbed?

No. He was right.

I was all set to read IJ until Bloom claimed the author had no discernible talent. Now I'm skipping it and going straight to Dante.

He went to far when he said Stephan King was better

Its a fun book. Its not Joyce. Everyone should still read it

>Has Bloom ever praised any writer born past 1950?
He did, but Veeky Forums manages to know even less about poetry than about novels.

You mean the Housman poem «Into my heart an air that kills»

>born 1951
Pttth

Kys my man, it's not the jews fault they write well

>It’s all a clear indication, Bloom notes, of the decline of literary standards. He was upset in 2003 when the National Book Award gave a special award to Stephen King. “But Stephen King is Cervantes compared with David Foster Wallace. We have no standards left. [Wallace] seems to have been a very sincere and troubled person, but that doesn’t mean I have to endure reading him. I even resented the use of the term from Shakespeare, when Hamlet calls the king’s jester Yorick, ‘a fellow of infinite jest.’

I own a few of his books, I like him. Not a giant fanboy or anything though.

he was right though, DFW was on so many anti-depressants he was like a zombie, his writing had no emotion