How do you eat at a diner or a restaurant? I've only ever ate at fast food restaurants...

How do you eat at a diner or a restaurant? I've only ever ate at fast food restaurants. Like how do you pay for your food? Like in the movies the characters will say "check please" and the waiter will come with some check book or folder looking thing and the character will sign it. But like what the fuck is that? How do you pay with a credit card? If you use cash how do you get change back? How do you tip if you use a credit card? If someone can give me an explanation ill probably decide to try one out. Restaurant thread I guess?

How how is it physically possible that you have never gone to a fucking restaurant in your entire fucking life.

So you want us to believe that you posses a credit card, but have never:

a) Been into a restaurant
b) Seen a credit card reader

I find this scenario dubious.

Yes, at the end of your lunch/dinner, you ask for the bill.
If you simply sign the ticket it’s usually in hotels (they will charge you when you check out).
You can obviously pay cash, just give them some bills, they will come back with change.
As for cards, they will bring a card reader, you enter your pin and that’s it. You may ask the waiter to charge you some extra if you want to tip with card.

yeah my family was poor growing up so we never ever ate at sit in restaurants, all we ate was fast food. Now I can afford to go to a restaurant but I'm too socially awkward and I don't know how it works or what do to. I walked into some brunch place one time and sat down and looked at the menu. The waiter came over and I freaked out and left. I don't know how it works.
Thank you.

I guess it it too late to change your hikikomori ways.

Where the fuck did you grow up, some shit hole in Alabama

Also how much do I tip? I've heard 20 percent but Im not sure

your family being poor did not cause you to be literally autisticly socially awkward
go to therapy and try again

you go in, order what you want
when you're done they bring you a bill. you can leave cash at the table or they will bring a wireless card machine to your table, sometimes if they're oldschool you have to go to a computer with a wired card machine
the machine will have an option to tip, or you can tip in cash

if they're super oldschool look for a sign at the door that says cash only or something to that effect

Close, Georgia
I never said it did, it didn't help though. I am diagnosed with aspergers so obviously that's part of it.

Christ, even niggers here can afford to chimp out and applebees or Fridays on the weekend.

the other explanations aren't what I experience:

they bring you the little folder/book thing with your itemized bill in it. you put your credit card in the little book and give it back to them,

they take your card to the back and swipe it for you then bring back the folder thing with your card and the receipt. then you write in your tip and sign the receipt.

also they'll usually bring your check without you asking, but sometimes you have to ask.

I'm supposed to give my credit card away to a stranger? I guess I will pay in cash but what if I only have big bills when I have to tip?

America is slowly getting up on the table wireless readers, right now it's mostly just bargain bin dumpster chains like Applebees that have them because they can afford it. Most independent or small franchise places will take your card and run it in the back, then bring you a paper receipt to sign.

aspergers is officially an un-recognized diagnosis in most first world countries
you need to go to therapy

you can get change back or ask them to "keep the change" as their tip.

ex: your bill comes out to $16 and you pay with a $20. you can tell them to keep the change or just leave it on the table yourself.

a waiter is not going to steal your credit card.

You are not a doctor so I don't know why I should believe you or listen to your advice on a medical matter.
OK but wont they be upset that they don't get all the money?
People are very untrustworthy these days. And I don't want to risk having to make a scene with a manager.

Not to spike your paranoia or anything, but your identity could have been stolen in the time it took you to read this statement or you could be mugged walking into the restaurant. Yes, the waiter could steal your credit card, it's something they are physically capable of. It's almost certainly not going to happen, the vast majority of transactions happen exactly as they're supposed to.

Fella, ive been to restaurants the world over for many years. My cards have never been stolen. People won't risk their job to walk out with your credit card.
The only possible thing that may happen is they duplicate the magstrip and make a fake card. But that's rare these days since chip cards are more prevalent. Even if it does credit card companies are so good at fraud detection they catch it.
It you'll see something weird on your bill, you call and say "that wasn't me" and it goes away.
Live an little and go buy a steak.

That's the whole point of a credit card though, if the waiter steals it, you're good

If they steal your debit card on the other hand, goodbye liquidity, good luck paying the rent this month because it's going to take a while to sort that out with the bank

>Living in a third world shithole that still uses little bits of paper with a signature on them to pay for things.

lol

its seen as rude to tip here
tourists always start arguing with the waiters over tips

15 percent, of the amount not including taxes, is standard, at least in the US.

They are there to serve you. If you want more drink (water, tea, soda) all you have to do is ask. Can't eat all the food & want to take the rest home? They'll package it for you.

If you're eating by yourself, you're certainly allowed to bring in a magazine or something to read while you're eating.

Depends on the level of service/type of place.
15-20% is standard. 15 for a low end place like a diner or a chain like Applebee's
20% for the nicer joints.
Above 20 if a server went above and beyond and provided excellent service.

Christ dude, you're on /tv/ as well. How many opinions on how to behave and act during one of life's most basic situations can you possibly need?

>putting a restuarent inside what was ment to be a living room

top autismo

You just signal a waiter over and tell them you want the bill.

>Close, Georgia
I'm in Georgia, user.
I'll take you to dinner so we can get this straightened out.

You like Thai?

Been to said restaurant in OP's pic. Food was very good albeit overpriced. Obviously ordered the Duck and Waffle.

But I'm shy. Isn't there another way?

You're an idiot.

Depends on the country too user. In Japan when you ask for the cheque (by making an X with your fingers) they just bring you the bill, you have to get up and pay in cash at the door when you leave. No cards, ever.

They usually bring you the bill when they notice that you're done eating. But if you want to leave earlier then you need to ask for it. Also some restaurants have the registers at the front so you can leave whenever you want

dont listen to these cucks, you don't need to tip. just don't go to the restaurant again.

Wrong, it just got lumped in with autism spectrum disorder.

What kind of shithole do you live in where you would ever have to go through that with a debit card

Even my local bank in po-dunk KY is just as fast fixing fraud issues with debit cards as they are with credit cards. Are eyou in fucking Ethiopia or something?

Assuming that it's a walk-in restaurant with no reservation/booking required:

- Walk in front door
- Make eye contact with a waiter
- "Hi, table for 1/2/3/etc please"
- Waiter gestures you/walks you to your table
- Sit down, waiter brings you the menu
- Look over the menu for what you want
- Waiter may come by and ask "are you ready to order?", if not, make eye contact with one and politely call them over, I usually do this by raising my hand slightly and say "excuse me".
- Tell them what you want, any adjustments like no chilli, extra sugar etc. Ask them questions like what's the market price for this fish, what's in this dish, etc
- Waiter will take your order to the kitchen and now you wait for your food
- Food comes out, and you eat it
- When you're done, payment usually happens in two main ways:
- One, you get up yourself and walk to the register and pay there or
- Two, you ask the waiter for the bill and they bring you the bill to your table
- You pay with a credit card by tapping/swiping/inserting it into the machine and inputting your pin
- With cash you give cash to the waiter and they'll hand you back your change. I'm sure you're not a brainlet that can't do some basic Maths right?
- Say "thank you" or "thank you for the meal" and walk out
- Oh, and if you're in America you'll have to tip, ask an American for tipping ettiquette rules.

Pro tip:
You don't have to "pay" if you just walk out while the waiters back is turned. If someone asks what you're doing, just say you're going for a smoke or left your wallet in your car

T. Nigger

Just remember whether joking or not these are the people that voted for the president.
Although I can vouch that I’ve had to deal with countless people who couldnt work an atm. In their own language

> Walk in
> Stand patiently by 'wait here' sign
> Led to table by wait staff, handed menu, asked about drinks
> Order drink, contemplate menu
> Decide, look around for wait staff, one should arrive once they notice you
> Order.
> Food arrives later
> A few bites in, once your mouth is full, they'll come and ask if it's okay. They do this on purpose.
> Finish food.
> Attract attention again like before; look around for them, look like you're finished
> Get upsold dessert/coffee.
> Ask for the bill
> Pay bill
> Card readers most often have an option to add a gratuity.
> If it doesn't, calculate the tip in your head and leave it on the table as you go

There are literally guides for this sort of shit so you don't have to look like a fool asking questions.