"MacIntyre's whole attitude to Aristotle is a curious mixture of admiration for his methods and detestation of his...

"MacIntyre's whole attitude to Aristotle is a curious mixture of admiration for his methods and detestation of his results"
What the fuck is his problem?

He doesn't like slavery

This man, in my country he is everything.

Not even a Catholic but I love MacIntyre

bump

But surely you can appreciate Aristoteles results without pressing them through your moral filter?

Great Scott!

Completely new to him, where should I start? Also I've only read Ethics and Rhetoric from Aristotele and (Penguin's) Selected Writings from Aquinas, am I good to go into MacIntyre?

I haven't had the chance to read it yet but everyone on here seems to promote After Virtue as the best that MacIntyre has to offer. Maybe someone who knows more about the totality of his works will show up to help you though.

Not that big on Aristotle desu.

Can someone give me the basic gestalt on grandpa here?

All understanding is based in broad traditions of thought.
Because of liberalism, enlightenment and loss of religious belief, we lost our tradition and failed to replace it with something coherent.
This is why we now are polarised and cannot talk to each other, our concepts of good are radically different and completely incompatible.
This is why we need to move back to Aristote, and why we need the notion of telos, ethics cannot be constructed without it.

MacIntyre is a left-communitarian.

>Completely new to him, where should I start?

After Virtue.

>Also I've only read Ethics and Rhetoric from Aristotele and (Penguin's) Selected Writings from Aquinas, am I good to go into MacIntyre?

After Virtue is written in a way accessible to a world that has forgotten about virtue ethics, Thomism, Aristotelianism, telos, etc. So yes, MacIntyre's popular works are very readable even with limited understanding of his influences. What's more important, since AV is primarily political philosophy and ethics, is an understanding of liberalism and the other two main branches of normative ethical theories, consequentialism and deontology, all of which can be easily obtained through the SEP or some other resource.

It's when you want to start on his works that actually flesh-out and argue for his metaphysics that you'll need a comprehensive knowledge of Aristotle and Aquinas.

is he a traditionalist then? he seems to think we can just re-start traditions without an unbroken chain, so i guess he isn't or he is more optimistic than others

>is he a traditionalist then?
No, not in that sense anyway, if we think Burke, de Maistre, Donoso Cortes and similar we can't think MacIntyre. He's a staunch thomist (not in After Virtue tho, his following works are a lot more radical and he also assumes biological metaphysics)
>he seems to think we can just re-start traditions without an unbroken chain, so i guess he isn't or he is more optimistic than others
There is an unbroken chain with Catholicism, but he certainly doesn't believe the post enlightenment societies can just like that go back to that without a long process.

Does he make any remarks about ordinary language philosophy? He seems to regard modern ethics as 'mere' study of utterances. I wonder if how'd he tackle Austin or Grice for example, should philosophers like that also discuss man-as-he-should-be.

MacIntyre thinks that Americans should obsessively feel guilty for slavery. Fuck him. He's a cuck.

I've never encountered that opinion. Where does he speak about that?

He thinks everyone should be guilty about everything all the time. He's Catholic.

After Virtue, Chapter 15, p.216-224. Quote:
>"[. . .] Such individualism is expressed by those modern Americans who deny any responsibility for the effects of slavery upon black Americans, saying 'I never owned any slaves'. It is more subtly the standpoint of those other modern Americans who accept a nicely calculated responsibility for such effects measured precisely by the benefits they themselves as individuals have indirectly received from slavery. [. . .]"

This section goes on to talk about how some Englishmen deny responsibility for past grievances in Ireland, how some Germans deny that the Holocaust ought to influence how they treat Jewish people today, etc., and condemns it for being misguided and ignorant of how moral identity comes about. It is an insidious type of historicist and propagandist guilt that undermines an otherwise thought-provoking tract on virtues and the institutions that carry them through. People who call Alasdair MacIntyre a conservative have no idea what they're talking about, though his thought can easily ground conservatism if you wanted it to.

Sounds like you're making a mountain out of a mole hill because of your phobia for SJWs

GEM Anscombe >>> Alasdair MacIntyre

Why even conflict them?

You do have to look at things from the context your in, when misplaced guilt is tearing countries apart you are always going to be harsher on people from the past who express proto-versions of the thing you hate now. Its a bit like people going off Sorel after the 30s. I agree, for MacIntyre this probably wasn't a major opinion, just something he mentioned. But for someone going through the education system now then that is going to put you off

I read he was a marxist in his youth, does this oppressor vs oppressed stuff flow often to his pages? I was hoping to find a contemporary aristotelian

It's a critique of liberalism and the moral foundations that allowed for exploitation and slavery to exist in the first place. Reading MacIntyre as a conservative is indeed a natural reading of him and it's why his influence is mainly within conservative circles, just not amongst those who harbor ideals of the enlightenment. And I know perfectly well what I'm talking about, I've read 7-8 of his works.

The further you go into his old age the more thomist he becomes, Three Rival Versions of Moral Inquiry specifically sets out to refute genealogy of Focault and Nietzsche and establish tradition (meaning virtue and telos) as the only possible and valid basis for morality.

Was aristotle the smartest man who ever lived?

Pretty much desu
He was honestly right about everything

It was Aquinas.

So all Catholics are cucks? Damn Cucktholics! Really makes you think.

There are the virgin believers and the chad inquisitors, you can't put them under one class of catholics

Tell us more.

Those who embrace Jesus' teachings tend to turn the other cheek and press on the feelings of guilt are on the other end, while those who cynically utilise catholic doctrines to gain power are the other end

MacIntyre all suddenly makes sense now!

....How?

Bump

Thanks

How does he not make sense? I wouldn't call him a challenging author or anything.

Yes, but why would he "suddenly make sense now", after my post here ?