I received an Anova precision cooker sous vide machine for Christmas and I just used it today for the first time to...

I received an Anova precision cooker sous vide machine for Christmas and I just used it today for the first time to prepare filet mignon.

The steak was sealed in a bag with salt, pepper, butter, and herbs de provence. I cooked it at 129.0F for 2 hours and let rest for 20 minutes, then seared in butter about 90 seconds each side.

I was so anxious to eat that I did not take any pictures but it was really beautiful, picture perfect like you see in ads. I wanted to cut into it and take a picture of the inside but instead I ate everything first and I regret nothing

I served gnocchi tossed in a cream sauce made with this special little block of pecorino tartufello I'd been saving for this very occasion, and spooned the extra truffle cream sauce over the steak. Also I had roasted veggies in a lemon tarragon mustard sauce and altogether it was the richest and most flavorful dinner I've probably ever created for myself

Has Veeky Forums ever used sous vide?

that sounds delightful

I haven’t but your meal sounds good and sous vide intrigues me for, if no other reason, tempering chocolate.

thanks, I really wish I'd taken pictures but honestly a picture could not have done it justice. I didn't sprinkle with parsley or anything.

I never thought of sous vide for tempering chocolate but I've read you can make really good ice cream with it. Tempering chocolate is another really good one.

>using a cooking dildo

That goes in butts?

i cook eggs at 167F for 15 minutes. they are somewhere between poached and soft boiled. i eat them over rice.

you could probably use them on eggs benedict, too, but that seems like a waste of an english muffin to me.

It's fantastic when I have to cook for alot of people

>Has Veeky Forums ever used sous vide?
Yes, I use mine pretty frequently (like once a week). I really like it for pork chops, since they come out juicy and perfect every time.

Your meal sounds excellent.

No money to pay for a real ad?

I wouldn't buy one of those until I see some fucking safety certification, because I can't find any.
Unless you've got money to burn just use a temperature controller and a slow cooker, they work more than good enough

You mean you want to immerse a bowl of chocolate in the water set at the right temperature? It sounds risky and I'd honestly go for one of the chocolate tempering machines instead. They look like rice cookers with a temperature dial.

Why rest it?

Yeah, you don't have to rest something cooked via Sous Vide, it's one of the perks

a great benefit of it, no resting needed.

>anova
You might as well buy a chink wand instead. The anova is made in china and its electrical system is exposed so if you have a plastic cover, eventually the water vapor is going to condense and ruin the internals.
The blue tooth and wifi control systems are gimmicks only only add another variable of complexity, making it even more prone to failure.

I would not trust an anova after a few weeks.

Next time, don’t put butter in the bag.

The butter doesn’t “soak” into the meat but act as a solvent in which fat soluble flavor molecules from the steak get drawn out of the meat and thrown away with the juice.

I'm a chef, and I have an anova. I think it's helpful for some stuff and it will provide consistent results for amateur cooks.

However, generally find that cooking stuff the "old fashioned way" properly provides superior results to using a sous vide... the sous vide just makes it easier for anyone to pull off.

There is a definite texture difference that comes from sous vide, and it's not as good. But it's great for consistency and in restaurant environments consistency is key.

I

Go back to /r/cucking where you belong.

i just watched Ilsa Shewolf of the SS and this product looks like one of the sterilization probes they use on the prisoners.

>Has Veeky Forums ever used sous vide?

>has Veeky Forums ever used frying?
>has Veeky Forums ever used baking?
>has Veeky Forums ever used roasting?

surely letting it rest a bit before searing ensures you don't bring it over your desired temperature when you're searing it

how come none of the sous vide memers actually do the sous vide part? only the tepid water part? isn't the sous vide what keeps microorganisms at bay?

🧐🧐🧐🧐

they're poor fags that cant afford to vaccuum seal
they use cheapo zip locks with plastizisers in them.
Ziplock does not endorse their use for sous vide cooking.

"sous vide" means under vacuum
putting steak in a zip loc bag is not putting it under vacuum