I'd like to discuss and know your opinion about this book. It was my first contact with Dostoevsky and I loved it

I'd like to discuss and know your opinion about this book. It was my first contact with Dostoevsky and I loved it.

Inane rambling thinly disguised as fiction.

I remember when I read it in jail. My first interaction with Dostoevsky. Immediately clear that he was an absolute genius. I still think about his anecdote of the old man and a toothache, that he only moans when someone is there to hear him, so he can make them know his suffering

i wonder how similar dostoyevsky really was to the underground man

if dosto was nothing like him then it's pretty incredible considering how realistic a character he is, in terms of his behaviors and thought processes and stuff

>It was my first contact with Dostoevsky
That's kind of unfortunate. Keep in mind that the views of the Underground Man are not intended to be taken at face value as a positive thing

it's not unfortunate at all. an excellent introduction to a fantastic author.

Indeed, I would say that Notes from the Underground is the best intro to his work, though I started with Crime and Punishment.

yes i think anyone with a cursory understanding of fiction will be able to grasp this

i feel crime and punishment is probably his weakest popular work. aside from the house of the dead. but that's just me. i have some problems with the book, especially the epilogue. specifically that there was one at all. god i wish i hadn't read the epilogue.

>anyone with a cursory understanding
Be careful not to forget where you are

no, didn't you know all instances in all books should be taken literally and followed as advice?

I think Crime and Punishment is one the greatest noels in western literature. The book provides some of the most beautiful and terrifying moments. I never forget Dostoievsky's descriptions of Ivanovna's insanity or when Raskolnikov asks Sonya to read him the story of Lazarus.
The epilogue was maybe unnecessary, but nothing terrible about it.

>realistic
I felt like he was more of a relatable exaggeration than a perfect representation. Dosto writes good characters all over the personality map so I doubt any one individual is his self insert.

the character was literally a autistic virgin /r9k/ poster

fair enough
just the bible :)

>My life then was already gloomy, disorderly, and solitary to the point of savagery. I did not associate with anyone, and even avoided speaking, and shrank more and more into my corner. (...) I even tried not to look at anyone, and I noticed very well that my colleagues not only considered my an odd man, but - as I also kept fancying - seemed to look at me with certain loathing.

This is too real

Where should I go after Notes?
I have Crime and Punishment here, I heard that both have sort of a connection. But I'd like to read BK so much.

I know, the same applies to them.

Karamazov is the summation of his thought and writing, so you may want to decide whether you want to jump right into that or read some other things that lead up to it first.
C&P is very important among his writings of course. I suppose Raskolnikov shares an anti-hero status with the Underground Man, but he's more sympathetic and Dostoyevsky does more to develop him by the end of the book.
You could also read some shorter, earlier works of his. The Double is good to pick up, and so is Notes from the House of the Dead

I wanna read this one which translation is the best?

do what i did, read half of crime and punishment, read a dozen other things, read Bros K, then read half of crime and punishment again, read all the rest of dostoevsky's works (except demons, fucking first person narrative. impossible to read) as well as several other fantastic novels, read all of crime and punishment, and then complain about the epilogue. it's the only way.

always garnett. just go with that, don't worry about translations until your second reading of any book that has a constance garnett translation available.

What aspect of Dostoyevsky is most appealing? Storytelling and characters? It doesn't seem to be prose style. I've actually read Notes and C&P and I think one other, but it was years ago and I don't remember much beyond the stories being dark, and in the case of Notes, extremely dark. I've been trying to wade back in a little since he's mentioned frequently on here, so listened to the beginning of BK the other week for a feel, and it seemed kind of funny actually, but ultimately couldn't hold my attention out of slowness and the overall basic-seeming style, though I wasn't really planning on going the whole way. I guess my question is what work most showcases his style and is not just for beginning readers?

emotion. he captures emotion that survives even the most shitty translations.
it's why autists and sociopaths hate him, because they legitimately cannot relate to the illogical acts of his characters, their poor philosophies and their melodrama. it is because that more accurately simulates the typical human experience, i say typical, because most humans are irrational, emotional, have poor ideologies, and are melodramatic.

Basically anything but P&V. They misunderstood the intent of the work and their translation is accordingly misleading. The first sentence should read something like 'I am a sick man ... I am a spiteful man' (instead of 'wicked', as P&V have it)

Which translation? Literally the only thing holding me from reading it.

garnett.
stop pretending you're not reading it because you're worried about a bad translation. you're just a lazy fucking pleb.

>it's why autists and sociopaths hate him
As a sociopath, can confirm. Only one I like is Demons.

Indeed, emotion.
The only book, beyond Iliad, I almost cried was Notes from the Underground.

The dialogue with the prostitute?

Yes. Particularly the scene where she shows him the letter. That shit broke me.