I notice that STEAMING is a fairly common way to prepare fish in East Asian cuisines...

I notice that STEAMING is a fairly common way to prepare fish in East Asian cuisines, but not in western ones - why is that? Is there such a thing as western-style steamed fish?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargazy_pie
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Westerners are disgusted by fish so they insist on maillards and deep frying and hot sauce to "improve" the taste. Same reason why they'll freak out if you serve a fish with the head attached - that's like something out of Indiana Jones or a horror film.

I suppose it has something to do with not being able to appreciate subtle flavors, anything is tasty if you fry it

Obsessed.

I know right? Why are those pesky orientals so obsessed with the west?

In history it was common to eat potaties with fish with the head on in the western world.

But the western world is keep losing their traditional cuisine overtime.

when did this become the default whenever someone on Veeky Forums says anything that cleetus the trailer park manager doesn’t have a coherent opinion on

Fish head soups/stews have been a part of European cooking for centuries, though.

there is but its really only salmon that you will see being used by westerners when it comes to fish, for steaming that is

It's still popular in parts of the west to smoke fish, which is almost like steaming. Traditional western food is usually from colder climates where you'd already have a fire going to stay warm so you'd just use that to cook your food. Either by roasting, smoking, or just making a soup/stew. Dedicated steaming wouldn't have been practical.

Nobody cares what your opinions on animal proteins are, tripfag.

That pic was meant for

Triggered.

Seems to me the only triggered person is yourself, thinking every post about the West is referring to Americans.

is that sheep asleep?

braised fish is goat

sleep tight, sheeper

I think the closest you'll find on the regular would be fish en papillote - baked in parchment.

And I suppose the reason why it's not very prevalent in western cooking is that steaming itself just isn't all that prevalent. It occurs in eastern cooking all the time, and occurs in new world recipes like tamales. The only explanation I've read is that Europe simply had excesses of water and fuel that allowed for more consumptive methods like boiling and baking.

It had a long day

Western cuisine tends to use poaching or dry heat methods rather than steaming on fish, but there are still classical ways of preparing them that way, notably cooking them 'en papillote'.

this made me laugh more than it had any right to

>Dedicated steaming wouldn't have been practical.
you're posting a steamed food....

Can someone explain why “goat” means good?

Greatest of all time= GOAT

>Westerners
You mean Americans

no, he means ping pong ching wang

No, you mean suburban and upper-middle class city dwellers.

>suburban city dwellers
Is that kinda like the millennial boomer boogyman I keep hearing about?

Nah, most coastal people assume suburb refers to small-town flyover America when it really refers to the cardboard housing developments surrounding big cities: areas populated by the worst of stuck-up cunts who consider themselves superior to both city dwellers and flyovers (who generally live in nice, small, apartments and quality constructed old houses respectively). Upper-middle class city dwellers are just cunts overall who think their dooney-burke purse and starbucks soy-late means they are superior to anyone and everyone.

-t Chicago educated east-coaster who now lives in "flyover" territory.

when did chicago stop being flyover territory?

When Chicago had a better culinary and cultural scene than pretty much every coastal city other than NYC, SF, and LA.

Chicago's official motto: "at least we're not the south"

Nah, try "At least our blacks aren't Haitians".

"At least many of our whites aren't obese"

Finally an intelligent post

u live in toledo ohio?

Because we have microwaves

Married a gook, can attest to this, head on fish is disgusting.

No, it's fish.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargazy_pie

I'm from Chicago (because it's a good place to be FROM), and Chicago's obesity is across all races. Now, the nignogs are easily the most disgusting landwhales, but that's because they have no shame at taking welfare money and converting it into blubber.

that looks fantastic. love a good trout

corn and ale