Who likes this book?

Who likes this book?

School of Life (youtube.com/watch?v=wMOM34XEi2k) called it his masterpiece but I find it utterly disappointing.

On the Heights of Despair became an instant favourite. The Trouble with Being Born seems bland in comparisson. Not that there isn't good stuff in there, but is less consitent that Heights of Despair.

I liked a short history of decay best

On the Heights of Despair was full youthful turboangst, later he became increasingly 'hon hon' being an old Parisian NEET.

>On the Heights of Despair was full youthful turboangst
He was on the heights of despair

Cioran was brilliant

I think he captured that feeling of unimportance so well. I also assume he had some sort of condition that prevented him from ever experiencing life in a different way. Anyone who follows him biblically is a retard.

>Anyone who follows him biblically is a retard.
just like anyone who follows anyone biblically

but sometimes we may need to concede to the authors writings a thought beyond their personal life
thinking cioran thoughts are the way they are because he suffered from depression, or thinking that schopenhauer pessimism had origin merely on his personal life, is a comment I see often and I find it to be awfully unrespectful to the authors

His best was The Transfiguration of Romania

A Short History of Decay was his best, probably because it was so difficult for him to write (his first book in French).

I've only read history of decay, which is pretty sweet.

>If Jesus had ended his career upon the Cross, if he had not been committed to resuscitation—-what a splendid tragic hero! His divine aspect has cost literature an admirable subject.

Cioran edginess is best edginess

Heights of Despair is juvenilia.

but at least the angst is real
later it feel watered down

Disgusting, maudlin thoughts not worth thinking, much less putting to paper, much less publishing!

Anyone who hates life so much should stop pestering us and just die.

>maudlin

I feel like that's the case with his early work, but later on he became much more tongue-in-cheek, at least that's how I read it.

Fuck that's a tasty, slick, crunchy book cover.

I agree with him that the idea political system is “a liberalism without dogma.”

>Anyone who hates life so much should stop pestering us and just die.
No, just no.
And complaining of "pestering us" is idiotic. Just close the damn book if you feel it is the case.
Pretty much the same could be said of silly optimists.
Besides, he is often right.

His later works when it seems he attempts to be more literary is just weak. It lost some power when it wasn't immediate despair on the paper.

Many such cases!

He had Anhedonia like all the other pessimistic writers.
>the inability to experience pleasure from activities usually found enjoyable, e.g. exercise, hobbies, singing, sexual activities or social interactions.

>the inability to experience pleasure from activities usually found enjoyable, e.g. exercise, hobbies, singing, sexual activities or social interactions.
where do u think u r nigga?