How come cast iron skillets don't grow mold and shit

how come cast iron skillets don't grow mold and shit

Mold doesn't usually thrive on iron and carbon

I hope you realize that "seasoning" doesn't mean never cleaning them - you should wash and dry them after every use

what about bacteria?

what about it?

>I hope you realize that "seasoning" doesn't mean never cleaning them - you should wash and dry them after every use

You wipe it down with a wet paper towel or a sponge. You DO NOT use soap.

you do whatever it takes until there is no food left on it

maybe tetanus, but you cook the bacteria their little cells exploded.

Also you are suppose to season your pots and store them with light oil applied to them

Wrong. Soap is fine.

Soap is for pussies who do not understand a good body smell.

soap won't separate polymerized carbon from iron, captain meme

Tetanus lives in soil, not rust.

Looks like a nice pork crackling from the thumb

"mold and shit" grows if there's nourishment to grow in. Heat-polymerized long-chain carbons in don't have any nourishment so any mold spores than land on the pan go dormant or die of starvation. (Note: Always dormant, never starvation. Mold has had millions of years to perfect this trick.)

as long as you heat it up and rinse it seems safe

Well ideally op there's some lipids polymerized to your pan. And, ideally, there will be some lipids left in your pan post cooking. Bacteria and mold don't grow well in lipids it's why cofit was a preservation method, why butter without toast crumbs or contamination will last a long ass time, it's why salted bacon/ham/sausage has been a favorite of explorers and armies of the last.
My mom does this. Her pan started to rust

>Her pan started to rust
Your retarded mother should have oiled the pan after washing it and before putting it away.

Yeah no shit. But there's no point to washing it after every use either. Only autists and once a week cooks do that.

I clean all of them because no one else knows how to maintain a good pan and I won't have them rust because of others' incompetence

>Her pan started to rust
Then she didn't dry it.

Easiest to clean a cast iron pan is to leave on the burner for like five minutes so it's super hot, then dump in a few cups of hot water.

The water will instantly boil which will loosen anything that's stuck on (you can use a stiff brush too) and is hot enough to kill any bacteria if you worry about shit like that.

Wipe it down with a tiny bit of oil and put it away.

Okay which is it?