Now that the dust has settled, what do we think of Molyneux's mammoth contribution to Western philosophy?

Now that the dust has settled, what do we think of Molyneux's mammoth contribution to Western philosophy?

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/@cianchartier/a-review-of-stefan-molyneuxs-the-art-of-the-argument-2c1c83fa7802
youtube.com/watch?v=91YLkT2I66E
scribd.com/document/266161985/Stefan-Molyneux-Masters-Thesis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No anarchocapitalist has ever made a worthwhile contribution to anything.

death to teens

>we are in a moment of western civilisation where pic related is the pinnacle of debate culture
Really activates my almonds.

I would consider "not an argument" to be a significant contribution to the field of memeology.

truly a mind that will be remembered throughout the ages

It was shit and it is still shit.
Do we really need a thread every two days about this?

Did anyone actually buy that shitty book? sometimes I'll listen to his rundowns of things like terror attacks where he'll say the obvious that no one else will, but he's so fucking smug and full of himself. the quintessential "jack of all trades, master of none." His ego is incredible to the point of hilarity. I especially like how after some big attack/disaster, he will lament that he has been working so very hard to enlighten the unwashed masses and giving everyone the "gift" of his questionable "philosophy." Beware anyone claiming to be a "professional philosopher" in current year. I could completely see how he could be running a genuine, jim-jones style cult one day with dozens of neckbeard autists sitting around him in awe in the middle of a south american jungle...

lol what is this

Read this:
medium.com/@cianchartier/a-review-of-stefan-molyneuxs-the-art-of-the-argument-2c1c83fa7802

Hahahaha. It isnt from his last book, right?

At the end of the day, he made more money than all those smart people that criticize and ridicule him.
That's what matters: fame, money, bitches.

what a novel take

He is absolutely, completely, and hopelessly retarded. I have never seen more disgusting condescension in my entire life as tempter. He is the exact opposite of how to be a real man.

The only way to combat violence and barbarism as he claims his precious argument can is through splendid displays of superiority of all masculine traits to those who abuse their power on the weak. Frighten the fearful with power overwhelming. Prevent the weak from being preyed upon by devouring their predators at whatever game they play.

Bad bait. MUH FUGGIN AYN CHENCE is absolute trash.

Fucking scary. Man has genuine messianic delusions. He (and he alone!) could save the world if only you would listen to his arguuuument! ISIS would immediately drop their arms and renounce their radical Wahhabist faith if only they would listen to one of arguments...

I want believe that this was some sort of fan and not his own writing. It reads like those reddit atheists alerting about the evils of reliions and how good science and reason arr

Peter Molyneux was best Molyneux

youtube.com/watch?v=91YLkT2I66E

That is–dare I say–, at least in regards to OP's question: not an argument.

we need a separate /yootoober/ board

It's cringe but he is kind of right though, the thing that holds back violence is essentially discussion

We learnt that one dollar is not enough.

I honestly think he has some sort of mental illness.

autism?

>and that was not The Art of the Argument

Fricking heck, Molymeme. Really?

did you expect better of a living meme?

no its not, violence is withheld either with an eye to future gains, or out of fear of some larger retributive power.

Schizotypal maybe.

true

he got a wife somehow

Underrated

I'm thinking narcissism

Poor thing

how is that an illness? it's unseemly but not illegal or an illness

nah, it's definitely autism

Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental illness.

but it's only an illness if it causes havoc in your life or in society, otherwise it's just a character flaw like any other, he seems to be doing quite well for himself outside of being a living meme and he doesn't hurt anybody except the philosophy professors that went through his book to point out the inaccuracies

Calm down Nietzsche

what do i do if i feel like im becoming an anarchocapitalist?

stop watching youtubers

t. single mother

find moldbug's 2007 unqualified-reservations blogspot post titled "Limited government as antipropertarian idealism"

Don't buy "The Art of the Argument" by Stefan Molyneux, buy "Creative & Critical Thinking" by W. Edgar Moore and "Rulebook for Arguments" by Anthony Weston.

There is more attention to detail, more breadth, more depth, and less politics in Moore's and Weston's books than in Molyneux's book. Molyneux makes a lot of amateur mistakes like confusing validity and soundness, which means that he probably focused more on cashing in on his fanbase than he did on writing a useful guide to argumentation for laymen. Even if you agree with Molyneux's politics, you would be better served with a different resource.

>Molyneux makes a lot of amateur mistakes like confusing validity and soundness
wew, is it really that bad? that was like class 1 in high school philosophy

Yes. There wasn't a competent editor. Tbh, they're just arbitrary labels for two dimensions of correctness, but leading your fanbase into becoming the laughingstock of anybody with a basic education in logic is poor form IMO. Shame on Molyneux.

>Tbh, they're just arbitrary labels for two dimensions of correctness
yes, for some reason i thought he actually studied philosophy at the university but it turns out it was history

he is clueless either way, so he might as well have studied tibetan cuisine

>Stefan Molyneux is a online philosopher in the tradition of the Stoics and Emmanuel Kant, and advocates a form on Natural or Virtue Ethics based on ‘Universally Preferred Behavior’ which is his attempt to derive Virtue Ethics from a secular first principles using axioms of mutual preference. Using what is a rudimentary form of Game Theory, he argues that acts like Murder, Rape, Theft are not mutually prefered by both perpetrator and victim. He posits that only win-win transactions between individuals are universally moral, deriving the Natural Law precepts of non-aggression and respect for property, and requiring all interactions be voluntary.

>These principles necessary lead to anarcho-capitalism, and the coercive State is immoral, taxation is theft, and that a monopoly on the use of force leads to increasing corruption and misuse of power.

The distinction is actually kind of important and it's something that a lot of people get wrong. You can't even consider conditional statements in an intelligent way without knowing the difference. I don't know how many times I've had my arguments accused of being invalid by people who simply disagree that one of the premises is actually true.

It is an abnormal condition, therefor an illness.

This is the peak of the ego-right dialectic

that's like saying being taller than other people is an illness, it's annoying but it's not an illness unless it causes pain and discomfort to yourself or to others

and manlets being angry doesn't count as pain

You mean a success.

Yeah it is an important distinction because there is a difference between an argument's structure and whether its applications and assumptions are appropriate. I just meant to say that the assignment of labels are arbitrary and were decided by custom long ago.

Why does the internal truth of an argument have to be called validity instead of soundness? The short answer is that... well... we're using words that are almost synonymous in general parlance to explore different dimensions of truth.

However, the entire academic world has decided upon these labels for the sake of clarity, so eschewing them makes your ideas unintelligible to everybody else who has studied basic logic. It's an amateur mistake that will make you a laughingstock of educated people.

You can learn it by reading any intro to logic book for 5-10 minutes, lol.

His master thesis is groundbreaking

scribd.com/document/266161985/Stefan-Molyneux-Masters-Thesis

No shit. He means that the labels themselves are arbitrary, you could swap them or use completely unrelated words. The key is consistency and adhering to the common standard, so others can actually interpret your work. If the standard changes in the future (regarding these labels) then they would be different but the concepts themselves would not.

No, it's like saying that a uneducated youtuber who builds a cult on the premise that he literally holds the key to every possible debate and problem is almost certainly mentally ill. This is still the same guy who wrote a book about logic in which he shows he is more ignorant about it than a high schooler who has read a few wiki pages, and to introduce this absolutely worthless he works he starts by saying that in it it's literally contained the key for truth. Csn't you really see how delusional he is? Or are you just assuming that he believes in literally nothing of what he says? Because that would be pathological too.
Lots of mentally ill people manage to achieve success: this still does not make Molyneux's messianic complex a normal condition.

>this guy earns millions a year from his book sales
>your average Philosophy grad earns $18k/yr
What's your excuse?

so? being a stupid cunt is not an illness, no need to pathologize everything for god's sake, flaws of character and vices are just that, not the new disease of the week

Sad thing is you can tell is a fresher while Moly somefuckinghow has a MA.

>while Moly somefuckinghow has a MA.
didn't he dropout and rage because the university told him that his thesis was too autistic and to write it again or something similar?

He doesn't even have a PHD! He barely exists in published literature!

It's like Bill Nye trying to be this huge authority in science.

>PhD
>Notable Achievement in 2017
Do people unironically still believe this?

He hacked it out, he even admitted that he nagged assistants for months in order to find one that would accept his thesis no matter what (you can read it, in it he shows that he does not even understand syllogisms, just to show you how basic is understanding of logic is).
Here's the direct quote:
>"It took me months to find a thesis adviser, who then gave me an ‘A’ without reading my thesis, mostly to stop me from pestering him".

Of course this response of mine was not necessary, since you have failed to make an actual argument.

>He hacked it out, he even admitted that he nagged assistants for months in order to find one that would accept his thesis no matter what

I'm actually not a fan of the guy but your being extremely disingenuous by pretending like that isn't the norm.

It's not being a cunt, it's being an uneducated megalomamiac who has manipulated a personality cult for over 10 years. As I've said, he is either honest, which means that he is pathologically narcissist, or his entire life is a lie designed for personal gains through fraudolent means (in other times he would have been ostracized for corrupting the youth), which means that he is a sociopath.

Who cares? You are the one who has mentioned his qualifications.

Then why doesn't he Fucking have one? You can't be notable in a field without a PhD!

Bunch of sjw's in this thread.

wat, you don't need to have a particular ideology to know that molymeme is a retard, you just have to listen to him

>1) Philosophy requires values
so this is the fabled intellect of the alt-lite...

Not an argument

Ignore american propaganda threads. It's half of them.

this

The sad thing about Molymeme is that he is incredibly rich. People like him fly under the radar all the time and make millions.

>He is absolutely, completely, and hopelessly retarded. I have never seen more disgusting condescension in my entire life as tempter. He is the exact opposite of how to be a real man.
I'm OK with this...

>The only way to combat violence and barbarism as he claims his precious argument can is through splendid displays of superiority of all masculine traits to those who abuse their power on the weak. Frighten the fearful with power overwhelming. Prevent the weak from being preyed upon by devouring their predators at whatever game they play.
Lol

Mommy Issues: The Philosopher

Molyneux versus IcyCalm. Who wins in the battle of hubris?

One sociopath criticizing another sociopath. Sad.

Still waiting for Molyneux to buy the kool-aid for the freedomain listeners with his book sales

DELET THS

""""""""""anarcho"""""""""" capitalists:
>Take Back the Streets: Crush Criminals. And by this I mean, of course, not "white collar criminals" or "inside traders" but violent street criminals – robbers, muggers, rapists, murderers. Cops must be unleashed, and allowed to administer instant punishment, subject of course to liability when they are in error.

Morons don't realise he's just a money grabbing Jew who has spent the past decade shifting political opinions in order to make money from his donator base which amounted to him hiding over one million dollars in bitcoin before spreading it after people found out. Reminder this Jew said on several occasions he was Jewish and has spent the past few years hiding it as much as he can even claiming his parents were native Germans. Reminder this kike pretends to be traditional but advocated children abandon all friends and family like the first slave morality Jew. Reminder this kike has a psychiatrist wife that was suspended from the (((profession))) after he told her to push his pseud beta single mother risen beliefs onto patients.

Here come the stormfaggots

Fool, I don't support Nazism but I am aware of the JQ which even the Zionists of old debated with complete sincerity.