Let's get Veeky Forums's collective unconscious out of the shadow of self hatred. What do you love about Veeky Forums...

Let's get Veeky Forums's collective unconscious out of the shadow of self hatred. What do you love about Veeky Forums, and Veeky Forums in general?

When you get past some of the nihilistic hostility this board fosters, there are often some damn good literature suggestions and legitimate discussion. I can't particularly say the same for other boards.

I unironicly think Veeky Forums is less toxic then most similar sites

as for Veeky Forums in general, the format makes what is said more important than who said it.

I hate lit. I hate how you faggots never get past the top 100 charts. I read those books before coming here and I have no one to talk to about what I read now.

There's a better combination of being "well-read" (for the lack of a better word), being forthright (either cynicism or beyond cynicism), and being willing to think outside the box. This is only marred by incessant shitposting, but even the shitposting is fun when it isn't disrupting a good conversation. That being said, my standards are low thanks to years of disappointment, but this place is better compared to most thanks to the format and the community.

I just simply haven't found any more tolerable platform for discussion and/or shitposting. Most online communities are toxic like and so is this. But over here you see at least one bizarre or interesting thing each day.

I actually like nothing about it except that it is one of the few places on the internet, except for private groups and forums, where people are at the very least savvy and self-aware enough to not be complete pedestrians. Not intelligent, very far from it, but initiated, and self-scrutinizing to a point where the stupidity at their core only surfaces wrapped in opaque irony. Veeky Forums is a contest in looking smart, where any genuine enthusiasm for art is a sign of shameful naïvité, and if there's anything I actually gain from it it's an exercise of rhetoric. It beats hanging out with literal kids on reddit though.

for you

I come here exclusively for charts and book recommendations. Although I have exhausted a lot of that and all thats left is shitposting and memes, which are a waste of time.

As far as Veeky Forums in general, the simplicity really makes the boards more approachable than other forums around the internet.

Veeky Forums is the best place to use these boards to chat with well read people. I am convinced that this is the premier "literary community" in the modern world. Where places like Argentina had The Florida group and Boedo Group in the early 1900's, the internet has allowed for a place like this to exist- larger, more diverse, but still with the same strain of collective thought that the prominent societies of the past contained. If you gave me 20 writing samples, I could easily pick out the 1 that was written by a fellow Veeky Forums member, and thats not a bad thing

/pol/tards should be banned on sight, not because of their ludicrous opinion, but because of how fucking stupid they are. As soon as one of them post one of their shitty baits, the level of discussion in any given thread sinks immensely, and as soon as this happens, the debate shift from its original topic to the validity of the discussion, mainly due to stormfags making absurd, dishonest claims while ignoring coherent answers (they obviously do so for propagandistic motives: they know that propaganda works not due to good arguments but due to how many times it's heard by non-thinking individuals).

Mods, have some standards and ban these subhumans.

Strange that we are nicer than the rest of the internet these days, unless there's (menstrual) blood in the water.

The amount of /pol/tards who actually browse Veeky Forums is greatly exaggerated. Most of the bait is from Veeky Forums trolls who imitate /pol/acks for shits and giggles. If you closely examine the vocabulary, mannerisms, and beliefs of the so-called /pol/tards, you'd recognize that they bear little resemblance to actual posters on /pol/. There's little congruence in what they care about beyond the surface level, how they react to outside forces, what value systems motivate them, etc. It's terrible LARPing, and you people should be ashamed for falling for a bogeyman every single time. People who gripe about /pol/ are therefore infinitely worse than the effects of any /pol/ack browsing Veeky Forums. You've brought this hell on yourselves.

not true

Whatcha reading?

I'm coming for your sushi, hiroyuki.

Absolutely true. Most of the /pol/acks here sound more like alt-lite shitposters than actual /pol/acks. That's the dead giveaway. They sound like fucking robots.

You're just a brainlet if you can't see it dude
Like if the first response to a thread is "I don't read nonwhite literature take the red pill I'm redpilled" and your unironic, for real reaction is "OMG FUCKING POLTARD GO BACK TO /POL/!" you're not even smart enough for Veeky Forums.org which is incredibly sad

No. You can sometimes read them telling each other to be more covert. You're trying to make it sound like it's not /pol/ ideology that's polluting the site.

I've been meaning to say this for a while but I thought I'd get killed by the disinfo squad

I come only for the London Underground Man posts, desu familia

fpbp. this is it exactly. a shitpost by an educated person is still a shitpost. that said, Veeky Forums is the best forum for literature on the internet. people here don't take themselves seriously, and that is necessary for discovering new ideas.

it actually reminds me of the old Poe-News forums before it got the gayass proto-reddit bulb system; lots of educated people, and recycling center garbage sorters all earnestly searching for keks and wisdoms

>implying that a troll wouldn't say that
Sorry but it doesn't add up. Spend a day browsing and trolling /pol/ for shits and giggles and you'll see what I mean if you have any sort of "theory of mind" like a normal person. /pol/acks on Veeky Forums, for the most part, come off as bad impressions and LARPers more than anything else. It's the butthurt reaction that destroys threads more often than anything else.

4chans humour is the cream of the crop and Veeky Forumss been pretty funny recently.

an abandonment of noumenal objects qua archetypes and a revival of immanent and speculative critique of objects and concepts

are there any good forums on the internet besides Veeky Forums?

I've noticed this as well
Veeky Forums is really funny these days
Maybe I just love bugsposting too much

Other anons have put what is great about it much better than I have.

The one problem with it is that I’m a normie outwardly, and this site can really trigger (hate to use that word) my isolation/sadness/whatever. It’s obviously my own fault somehow. But because there’s always something new I’ll find myself just refreshing and refreshing. And there is something to be said about all of us here, posting about literature, when what are we really doing with our lives? But maybe you all are not the NEETs I presume you to be. I’m not a NEET myself but could be much more productive and successful...

Anyway. This is becoming a rambling blog post. The posts I read here are much, much more intellectual than the shit my friends say. My friends aren’t dumb necessarily, but they’re just not this introspective. My best friend is a youtube star, and he couldn’t be more of a narcissist. Very bright guy, though, otherwise.

You guys teach me something everyday. Thanks for that.

You greatly overestimate /pol/ posters. They are terrible LARPers of themselves.

T B H there are some very small subreddits that are great. The Jung subreddit for example is a good community.

>It's the butthurt reaction that destroys threads more often than anything else
no

'Thanks to' twice in one sentence

NICE

>It's the butthurt reaction that destroys threads more often than anything else
As if there's anything to be ''destroyed'' in a racist shitpost thread in the first place.

This is sad but true.

People here are hostile to everyone and everything but are open minded. I love you faggots. No homo.

I love that Veeky Forums has nightmares about /pol/.

They don't seem to LARP as hard on /pol/ than on /lit, which wouldn't make sense at all if we make the assumption that the "/pol/acks" on Veeky Forums are the same as the /pol/acks on /pol/, since the pressure to appear genuine is higher on /pol/ than anywhere else.

I don't like meta threads. 95% of the threads are "x should be improved". The threads are too much about change, when things don't necessarily need to be changed.

Is that pic real?

L-love you too

This. Everyone thinks of Veeky Forums as this horrible website when the average youtube comment section is much worse.Or a comment section on a tabloid gossip website. Some comments that I've read on dailymail , tmz, or even facebook terrify me because there's no self-awareness in them.

I agree. Veeky Forums is the only online community I've seen where the userbase is actually somewhat self-aware and doesn't think too highly of ourselves. Everyone else, people think they're fucking geniuses and they are gifting the internet with their presence. But we pretty much know we are useless and unimportant and thus don't care about being anonymous

>go to local news site
>check comments
>people you can readily identify telling each other to eat shit
>somehow worse than Veeky Forums
I'm glad I'm here forever to be honest.

I love our disdain for the unwashed masses (normies, plebs, etc.), and our mistrust of common sense.

It's just annoying, this is a literature board.

You sure do know a lot about /pol/. What do you like about it?

I feel like I always come back to Veeky Forums because there is a sense of raw earnestness here that can't be found on forums that aren't anonymous. Since people aren't hiding who they really are, discussions on here are just as ugly, vile and bizarre as they are beautiful. I can't find raw human emotion and humanity like I find it here anywhere else.

And Veeky Forums is probably the least retarded place on Veeky Forums, I'm learning a lot coming here. I didn't read much until this spring but since I started frequenting this place I feel like I've soaked up so much

Veeky Forums has garbage discussion but pretty good taste

I love that I can post an in-depth literary analysis in one thread and hit a BUGS in another

I second this very hard.

you're right. every other website just feels fucking gay and they ban you for everything.

Very True.

Damn this thread is comfy.

First of all, this is just glossing over the /pol/ invasion. Not every retard who goes DA JOOS in Spinoza's threads are Veeky Forums trolls.
Secondly, your argument applies only to people who get baited. I ignore these posts, but this also means ignoring the answers to said posts, which means filtering 99% of every thread. This is how shitty their influence is: everything they touch turns to poison.

If I seem too critical, keep in mind the nature of this thread: we should give our opinion and this is mine. You're free to disagree, but please don't play the "wow just don't get triggered" card, since this defies the entire purspose of this thread.

I don't care for /pol/. I know enough of it from curiosity. You dumb LARPers kept shitting up my board so I went to check out the source. Then I realized it was just opportunistic trolls from Veeky Forums, and that the triggered idiots who responded to them were the biggest threats to this board.

You just made me check their catalogue to be sure. They're exactly the same as when they shitpost here, /b/-tier histrionics and the same conspiracy theories. What are you even on about.

Can we please get rid of the janitor that keeps deleting philosophy posts and blocking everyone who makes them?

Topics are the same, mannerisms aren't. Comes off as tryhard LARPing. /pol/acks on Veeky Forums come off as alt-lite and not alt-right because the trolls don't know what alt-right looks like.

I am honestly terrified for the day when this site goes down. I don't know what I'll do with myself. If this site goes down, it will leave a massive hole in my life. No other website feels the same, not even close. This is the only website where I actually feel I can post what I want to post and the people here share a pretty similar mindset to me. Despite the fact that people here thrown around insults like faggot, autist, etc, a lot, I think this site has more camaraderie than almost any other site, as we all know why we are here and why we prefer Veeky Forums to anywhere else. Sentimental as it sounds, this website feels like a second home for me, or maybe even my first home, as everywhere I go in real life I feel out of place.

t. sensitive sally can't even bear the thought of being criticized

seriously i wish all reddit normie users would leave Veeky Forums forever. you don't contribute anything, you're just here to read anons discuss what you would discuss if you were smarter.

anonymity is freedom from the anchor of identity. if i don't have a name to give a shit about or a post history for mean anons to scroll through and downvote, my ego remains comfy and protected. but that isn't enough for you fuckers. you don't want to read anything you disagree with. so just fuck off already.

>inb4 go back to /pol/

Well said, this is the only place where I can talk to "like minded individuals". Without this shithole I would feel truly alone.

come to think of it, reddit's system actually puts down initiatives towards challenging discussion as posts that goes against the norm/paradigm are sanctioned by downvotes

Sometimes this place feels like high school, where everyone is on the same level.

God, what is it with these (((desert rats))) false-flagging all over Veeky Forums 24/7!?! When will this persecution end!?!?!!!!!

What does it look like?

That people are larping or not does not matter much on Veeky Forums, ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

Now that you mention it, they seem to be more extreme and confident on /pol/, like the difference between straight up fashies and Trump supporters. On /pol/ they come off as really believing their shit instead of naively regurgitating propaganda.

You're not being consistent anymore. It's ironic /pol/ shitposting by people who aren't /pol/acks. Like I've said for the 20th time. It's cancerous.

Bingo. The people here are caricatures.

even if they're mostly unhelpful and only read to feed their sense of superiority most people here are actually:

1. fairly well-read relative to the rest of civilization
2. decently funny

>The people here are caricatures
Show some respect, buddy.

Respect is earned maggot.

The cancer is /pol/ on Veeky Forums. This is a literature board.

>advocating tripfaggotry
disgusting

I unironically love this place. As much we all shit on it, it truly is a last bastion of sorts. In an age where people's sensibilities are an all time low, it's nice and refreshing to be able to just let loose and fuck around with fellow 20 something men online. I've learned a lot here and have laughed a lot as well. I wish you all the best and hope you achieve everything you dream.

>fuck around with fellow 20 something men online
Book forums attract the weaker sex in large numbers for some reason. I'd be surprised if Veeky Forums wasn't at least 35% clotpocket. Also despite Veeky Forums moving from hebe to ebe the userbase is getting significantly older.

I like it in general. So much of Veeky Forums is prone to desperate nostalgiafagging, and I get how they feel, but I do wish they'd realize how good we have it. Even in 2017, this place feels like home. Discussion might suck some days, but other days it won't. I can leave for a month knowing the place won't die without my support, which certainly isn't true of other chans. Above all, I can go here and find someone that feels like I do, which is why I like books as well. It sucks that lots of discussions just end up debating the Jews, but it's temporary, and it'll change too. It's all fine.

More "What's on your mind?" threads would be cool, too, but they don't have to be there all the time.

You too user

Misogyny should be a bannable offense

Misandry should be a bannable offense

Philanthropy should be a bannable offense

Breathing should be a bannable offense.

I love the memories.....because its been shitted up now.

I remember when we made it to Veeky Forums's home page "top trending threads" when we wrote poems about birds.

nobody archived it so it only exists in memory

I like reading Veeky Forums while I should be reading literature. My read later list includes:
>Greeks (specifically Plato, The Republic)
>Western Canon
>General western philosophy, up to & including Kant and Hegel
>Russian lit
>Catholit (though I'm not a catholic)
>Early books on music theory & theory books on early music. Indonesian, Indian and Japanese traditional music
>Psychoanalysis

This very well could be the last bastion of free speech on the internet. Additionally, this place attracts intelligent/crazy people, which is entertaining.

I wish we split philosophy and fiction/non-fiction into their respective boards. Fiction often tends to get disregarded into pure philosophical conversation, they are not mutually exclusive, but I tend to see a lot less fiction enthusiasts on this board than philosophical pseuds.

Again, I'm not bitching about /pol/tards in a Tolstoy thread. This is a thread for opinions about this board, and that was mine. I'm not complaining because I'm butthurt, I'm complaining because this is literally the point of this thread: to share your actual opinion about this board, so that mods and other users can consider it.
Also notice that my complaint was not ideological: it was all about the quality of discussion on this board. This of course would not include /pol/hacks who actually put some thought in their posts: there is some value in this sort of discussion. There is none in retards baiting by /pol/posting in unrelated threads with short, inflammatory sentences.
Again, I do not get bait by them, but they're still the reason for which I have to ignore 99% of the posts on this board. I'd rather have a slow board filled with long winded, coherent posts, no matter how unflammatory they are, rather than a plethora of short posts about either how Jewishness makes your thoughts invalid or how thinking the latter opinion is infinitely stupid.

>jewish conspiracy

It's 2017. That means posters on a board centered around reading have no excuse for not doing the reading necessary to understand the jewish question. Admittedly, it takes a lot of time and requires a high IQ, but there shouldn't be this many meta-thread moaners and deniers. It's all right there in front of you, no "conspiracy" to it, so quit bitching and get reading. Do you want to be an elite thinker? You'll never be if you don't understand the JQ, that's a fact.

I like the unfiltered discussion, even if its childish at times, or most of the time. I wish I had a book club to be a part of. None of my friends read..

What I don't like about Veeky Forums is just how dreadfully leftist most of the board is, just spouting off as ideologues fulfilling all the negative stereotypes about well read people, including the shitty slam poetry, snapsnotclaps, and just general lack of humility.

There is also this complex that people have, not just on here but everywhere, that people will obtain all the trappings of an interest or field but rarely actually have interest in the field. The "I read Pinecone's Gravity's Rainbow on the bus, train, plane, at the coffeeshop and in class and look at all these plebs who can't comprehend genuis, it sucks being so intelligent", and the "dude my mom has never read Foucault or Dostoevsky, God I hate old people just die already" crowd.

At least the discussion is somewhat about books.

Amateurs by Donald barthelme

I agree with your posts in this thread.

Additionally, the extreme self-segregation from having so many sub-reddits develops inevitably into a series of echo chambers.

Tumblr and Facebook are similarly guilty of this. The userbases of all three can go their entire lives without realizing half of the site even exists. Bleeding heart sjws share digitally thin drywall with neo-nazis and wanna-be necrophiliacs without having any clue that they're there.

Lel

I don't mind hostility. I'd prefer hostility over censorship any day. I know Veeky Forums isn't the "censorship free zone" it is made out to be but it is better than other sites that literally have programs censoring shit and pushing agendas.

What are other sites like Veeky Forums?

I want a lit penpal who will bully me into reading properly.

Nice try, hasbara. There's no /pol/ invasion, it's just that Veeky Forums has become acutely aware of the redpill and the jewish question, thus no more circlejerk pomo, Frankfurt School circlejerks shall ensue. Adapt and survive.
t. a redpilled warrior and proud Kekistani

This is the kind of LARPing shit that I'm talking about. Kekistani faggots get their shit kicked in when they post in /pol/. Veeky Forums trolls have no idea what /pol/acks actually believe despite being only a click away. Anybody dumb enough to fall for their bait deserves the ruined threads and high blood pressure that ensues. FFS.

i don't think I can know any people like are here in real life. irl people drain me with faggotry. im a beta so i let it wear off on me.

I don't think you are inventing a new concept to help you cope with your lack of understanding. Whites are waking up en masse to the jewish question and rediscovering their own ethnic identity, and frequenters of lit, being of above average intelligence, will undoubtedly be among those furthering their knowledge and taking a collective stand as a people.

You're having trouble comprehending this phenomenon because a) you're jewish and thus delusional wrt how whites could be asserting their interests with greater force against the harmful policies of your tribe, b) you're a mulatto naturally inclined toward racial neutrality, or c) you are a white guy of below average intelligence with a dulled sense of curiosity about the world.

You can't fight this. This is the new reality we live in.

*I think you are ... scratch the 'don't' in 1st sentence.

Whites were never a monolithic mass---we were constantly at war with each other----and the Jewish conspiracy is a 20th century fabrication whose primary exponent was Adolf Hitler. Almost everything people you believe in you were indoctrinated to believe by some infographic or similarly weak or falsified argument.

You don't have to be a racial absolutist or a fanatical Jew-hater to oppose mass immigration and support nationalism.

muh /pol/ bogeyman