I'm getting my license to teach high school lit what are some essential books for high schoolers to read?

I'm getting my license to teach high school lit what are some essential books for high schoolers to read?

Don't worry that will be done for you by the school board

>high school students reading assigned books

Whatever the coordinator tells you to assign them.
Catcher in the Rye, 1984, and Romeo & Juliet, but not because they're good.

I guess then there's another question - how do I get kids to read?

John Green
Agatha Christie
Stephanie Meyer

travel back in time
ideally, you could visit a period when reading was the preferred time-killer

fpbp

You will have zero leverage until you become the dept. head

Put zeal into your work without losing professionalism. If the students aren't complete assholes, they'll appreciate it, and put in more effort. You might not get to start with advanced students though, and just have to suck it up for a while. Daily quizzes are another option.

The same way you do make people do anything, make it clear why it'd be a good idea and benefit them.

I remember when I stopped reading. I felt that no matter how hard I tried to read, I could never get beyond what I would have gotten if I had read normally. I would do this kind of skimming style where I read the dialogue, glanced over the descriptions, and only remember the general parts of the plot. I had somehow managed to test five? eight? grades above my reading level by virtue of reading a lot to compensate and because I have an addictive personality, but reading children's fiction will only get you so far. It also didn't help that I had a lazy bum for a teacher followed by a PMSing teacher that would yell at us literally every day, but I don't think crazy teachers were the reason for my disillusionment.

I do remember that I had a lot of fun diving into A Clockwork Orange on my own time without any preparation or background knowledge. Not having to worry about understanding anything but just appreciating the sound of the words. I did take Latin in high school so I've translated a few works. Hearing Caesar's racist rants against the Gauls, talking about it more in French class, that was a lot of fun. But Oedipus's 'shocking' story about murdering his father and marrying his mother didn't have the impact because it honestly sounded pretty tame and because we were told we had to feel that way by the lesson plan.

If I had to give advice to my younger self, I would say to read without concern for what other people think of you. That reading translations or even summaries was acceptable, but that if you really like a book, you should read it more carefully, just because it'll be interesting. And that English teachers are batshit insane, don't put up with verbal abuse just because you want to challenge yourself.

I remember my English teacher doing nothing but complaining about how shitty the people in charge of the school district were and how they were all dilettantes. He also had something disparaging to say about almost every single author we read and only had positive things to say about Shakespeare. I think he'd fit in here.

Patrician

Do you remember what his disparaging remarks were about different authors? How did he roast Homer?

A new teacher with his great ideas, how cute.

F

Even then it’s state test score pressure 24/7

Did he actually use “dilettantes”? Based vocabulary builder.

See this Veeky Forums? This is your future.

I saw an interview about a week ago about this. A good idea is to get the boys to read something that makes them angry. Then they just have to find out what happends.

Don't care about the girls, they will do whatever you tell them.

Don't remember many specifics about the class since this was about 8 years ago (HS class and I'm a college graduate). I will add that I saw him 5 years after I finished his class at a board game shop that he owned, the town over from my university/high school. Turns out he quit teaching the year after I graduated high school and opened his own business. He added that he hated all of his students and always got in trouble for failing too many.

Looking for Alaska
Paper Towns
The Fault in Our Stars

Dedicate the entire year to reading Infinite Jest.

>"for the benefit of the social order"

/ourguy/?

considering doing this
on an unrelated note, my weakest area is finding age level appropriate poetry? I really wanna teach Frank O' Hara and Yusef Komunyakaa, and Anne Sexton but idk

The irony of a position like this is mind-numbing, what a disgusting hypocrite.

OP, if you're a mensch you'll assign The Torture Garden

>it's a pleb shits on Fitzgerald episode

Your teacher was the real dilettante

How would you go about using "dilettante" in a conversation?

walt whitman bitch

Don Quixote + Enamored Knight
Inferno trans. Mandelbaum + Danteworlds: Inferno
Finnegans Wake + Joyce's Book of the Dark
KJV Bible + Asimov's Guide

Start with not being a brainlet

Sounds like a great guy

Make them read Lord of the Flies and don't be that retarded pleb teacher who teaches them that Ralph was in the right and Jack was in the wrong.

Can't go wrong with the Romantics. Also Blake.

Don't be that teacher who only teaches dumbass modern shit.

Classic poetry, side by side translations. The Rubaiyat. Romantics, Whitman, french and italian poets (also side by side translations). Spanish siglo de oro poetry if you're brave enough.

I was in the college of Ed at my university before I decided to go to law school.
Did you ever read Cultural Literacy by E.D. Hirsch?
If so, what are your thoughts on Hirsch's ideas?

Simple and healthy advice.

>OP, if you're a mensch you'll assign The Torture Garden
OP certainly is a man, but why would he want to lose his job?

Also, pray tell, how exactly is it ironic? Is it in the Alanis Morissette kind of way?

I had to read Promise at Dawn in highschool. Man that book did a number on me worse than Céline did. Made me into a pessimist and I still am to this day.