Whisky thread

Post your favourites.

I am still rookie. My favourite whisky is Laphroaig's Quarter Cask, or the 10-years.
What other malts could I like? (besides the obvious Islays; Ardbeg, Lagavulin...)

I also find it hard to find a good affordable whisky for frequent consumption. What is good below the 20EUR mark?

>I also find it hard to find a good affordable whisky for frequent consumption. What is good below the 20EUR mark?
Depends entirely on where you live. Your best bet is probably some bourbon.

Newbie also. I like this. I need to find a bourbon as I see they are less expensive. I wish I got that bottle of Balvenie I asked for for Christmas.

Spain.
Bourbons feel a little bit too sweet

Port Charlotte is like Laphroaig 10 but good. Get a Laphroaig 18 when you can afford it.

I'm going to be out of the country for two weeks. when I get back I need to get a good bottle.

name your best idea, doesnt matter if it's scotch burbon or rye

What do you like? I am into Islay malts so I would recommend Ardbeg Corryvreckan but if you don't like that sort of thing you should get something else. Don't know shit about bourbon, but I am pretty good with Scottish whisky if you have any questions?

>good affordable whisky for frequent consumption
Islay Mist is a blended scotch whose primary malt is Laphroaig. It's like $25/bottle in my area and while definitely not as good as the single malt, it is very good for the money (compare to any other $25-30/bottle blend)

everything honestly.

the only thing I actively dislike whisky-wise is bottom shelf crap. so I'd love to hear about good scotch from you (aside from obvious stuff like lagavulin)

can someone explain rye to me/give me a budget recommendation? i'm considering bulleit rye or rittenhouse

price range? any opinions on peat, sherry, flavor notes, etc.? i can recommend some bottles in any case, but mostly looking for an upper price limit

Glengoyne 21, seen the price rise 25 % the last 5 years
Drinking good is a an expensive hobby nowadays

I'm thinking mid-level so in the 30-50USD range.

What is it about Islay whisky that draws in the reddit crowd?

Jura is probably the worst whisky I've ever tried.
Other people seem to rate it quite highly.

What's Glenfarclas 8 year old like? Worth getting?

yum yum

Seriously. Try this. I'm not sure how much it would be in Europe, but its 26$ CAD for a bottle here (i live in the province it's made in so maybe it's cheaper). Smooth, tasty, affordable, Canadian goodness.

Reminds em of bacon

What a fucking plebian you are why are you buying this trash.

4 Roses Single Barrel ~$35
Wild Turkey 101 ~$20
Buffalo Trace ~$25
I find Woodford Reserve too sweet but a lot of people like it ~$25

>rye

CR is only good with Royal Crown Cola.

The bags are more useful than the drink.

Pumb answer bls

got a bottle of this for christmas. i don't remember who gave it to me but i gotta find out and thank 'em

That faggoty caramel, fruity shit tastes like german brandy. Buy this and save yourself 50 bucks.

thanks for the aggressive tip! cheers
again, it was a gift

Sorry, I'm still pissed I spent 140 bucks on 18yr old oak. whatever the fuck it was fine oak.

it was oaked, and it was faggoty.

Just get Rittenhouse

Seconded for the 4 roses single barrel. One of my faves.

>blended
Is it blended malt or blended malt and grain?
Because if you don't know the difference you're in the wrong neighbourhood, motherfucker.

>not wanting to have a peated single malt when peat is the definition of what makes Scotch different to all other whiskies
Stick to your 10% malt 90% grain blends then, faggot. When I want to drink vodka I don't put a sporran on it and call it Scotch.

Best Scotches (general, special bottlings may outstrip these):
1. Highland: Ardmore
2. Islay: Lagavulin
3. Lowlands: Rosebank
4. Speyside: probably Balvenie
5. Campbell: fuck the Campbells.

From what I understand, the laphroaig 1/4 is a pretty young whiskey. Because there's less in the barrel, there's more contact with the oak so it transfers flavour quicker.

Ps dalmore 12 is fucking good.
Pps if you like peat and are loaded, ocotomore is like getting kicked in the dick by a peat bog

Winnipeg? You ever been to gimli? I remember going once when I was younger for the viking festival but I'd love to go back now that I'm older and check out the CR distillery. Fuck these other anons who don't like the northern harvest. It's smooth like butter

It might be you who's in the wrong neighbourhood if you don't realise that blended malts always specify that they're blended malts and blended scotch means that there's grain whisky in it.

peaty...
Islay...
brininess...

Yeah that sounds about right. I much prefer the QC to the 10, the fact it is a higher abv and non chill filtered helps too. I can see age statement malts being phased out or reserved for high end stuff only as it seems to be going down in quality. The last bottle of Lagavulin 16 I had was pretty bland, as was the Laphroaig 10.

Shut up faggot, you're obviously clueless as well.

Get a nice Japanese whisky

Folded 1000 times

Wow she must really like whisky

I enjoyed WP 10, but it's bloody $65 here. Can get a handle of bulliet Rye for $45 so I just can't justify it.

My brother is a total weeb and goes to Jap-land every year. He brought me home a bottle of that shit and it was horrid. Every other Jap-skey he got me was pretty nice, that was below famous grouse tier.

i drink piss of hangover hobos outside my apartment
its free and its great

I think they've finally reached the stage of being able to beam advertising directly into our dreams. I had a dream someone gave me a bottle of Glenmorangie 12 and I really liked it. I've never even had scotch before. So before I go out and buy it, are either of the Glenmorangie 12 years actually good?

Plz no bully, I cant help it.

i'm a poorfag and laphroaig 10 is the only "real whiskey" i've ever tasted, and it completely blew my mind. i still think about it regularly. is that really considered bad scotch? i'm sure there's better, but i really enjoyed it.

dude, you like what you like. who cares.

cant stand it myself, but if I post something I like some faggot will take the time to tell me why I have shit tastes. fuck that

fucking drink, enjoy, post more

Laphroaig is overrated.

This may be one of my favourites.

I've found that people who like Jura don't like whisky.

Have you ever seen Archer?

10/10 for mixing with tea. Not a fan otherwise.

Oi fuck you m8 Springbank is fucking awesome as is Glen Scotia.
This shit is $60 USD or less near me. Great deal for the price.
Not whiskey
Post an actual nice one then

I drank laphroiag10 exclusively for years and developed a real taste for islay single malts. It's serviceable but once you taste something better it's hard to to back, it's all smoke and peat with no nuance. My daily driver's a macallan12 now but I'm going to be buried with a laphroiag18

If you like your Froog get on the independent bottler game. They usually have better quality stuff than the 18 for a lot cheaper! I had a Douglas Laing Laphroaig done in Oloroso that was absolutely godly.

For me it's Toki.
Like a blend of Irish and a bit of scotch.
Not even a weeb, Japs are fags

Huh. Thanks for the rabbit hole. Any good sources online?

>Glenfarclas 10 - $46
>Glenfarclas 12 - $55
>Ardbeg 10 - $60
>Balvenie 12 Doublewood - $47
>Aberlour 12 - $36

Which two of these should I buy next?

you prices are pretty high you should look else where to buy

Not a fan. I have a bottle that I won and it's still 90% full

This is unironically good whiskey, if you are looking for a lighter-bodied one.

Only a few episodes, why?

i can't get liquor delivered to my state and it's the cheaper of the two big-box liquor stores near me. do you have any suggestions?

They reference "glengooly" scotch pretty frequently, I assumed there might be some crossover and your brain may be substituting the correct name of it.

I live really close to the bourbon trail, and have tried several different types, from the many distilleries. I've had everything from $1500 pappy, to cheap ass Evan Williams straight from the source.
My number one go to has always been blanton's original single barrel. While there are many great tasting bourbons, I always come back to this one.
My whiskey cabinet consists of this at the moment
Blanton's
Four roses single barrel
Jack Daniel's single barrel (found it on sale at 45% off, bought 2 bottles)
Buffalo trace
Makers mark
Wild turkey rare breed
Ezra Brooks
Four roses straight bourbon
(these last two are my mixers, EB tastes exactly like JD at half the price, and mixes well)
Already planning on hitting the trail this spring, mainly to buy bottles of stuff I don't normally find, I'll be at the Kentucky derby this year so I might hit up the Jim Beam distillery, it's one of the few I haven't toured. There's a few specialty liquor stores that carry hard to find stuff from the area, I plan on signing up for the drawings and raffles again this year.

>*The plot thickens!*

Master of Malt usually has an extensive catalogue but it depends where you're from.
Aberlour and Ardbeg

It's better than regular JD at least

Kek, didn't know it was real. Just assumed they were trying to get around trademarks

>Bamboozled
They're just fakes someone made that I found while searching for Glengoolie. They do look legit though.

Let me amend that, they're stickers you can buy in a kit from a vendor on Etsy, looking a little deeper.

Pretty sure the bottle in Archer is a Johnnie Walker bottle in shape, at least in some episodes.

I vaguely remember some, yeah.

Well fuck me lol

rye > scotch > bourbon
fight me

I wouldn't fight a person with brain damage

rye's spiciness is infinitely more enjoyable than scotch's smokiness/peatiness
simple as

hey, that's the glass i drink whiskey out of too! well, in a sense. mine was $2 at target.

Oh right all scotches are islays how could I forget

If you have poor taste. Also you're clearly a brainlet as you think all scotch is peated.

not all islay scotches are peaty and not all peaty scotches are from islay

I really want to try a sweet, fruity sherry-bomb, but am having trouble finding something affordable around me. Any recommendations in the

Glenlivet Nadurra Oloroso
Or if you can find it for a good price Deanston 10 PX is amazing

Glenlivet Nadurra Oloroso is $73 before taxes here, I can't justify that. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the other though, thanks

Several years ago my local liquor store had a massive markdown on that stuff. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but yeah, not sure I'd spend quite that much. Maybe once just to try it (I set aside a bit of money now and then so I can try a new bottle I've never tried), but that's it.

Yikes that’s heavy
Which state do you buy in?

WA. We also have the highest liquor taxes in the country, 20.5% + $3.77/liter, so a $75 bottle comes out to $93.

Currently drinking Woodford Double Oaked, pretty nice but I get either get maple syrup with a good burn, or a ton of oak depending on the sip I take

I picked up a pint of Bulleit Rye to see if rye whiskey is something I enjoy.

Fireball

I liked that one for the price

I'm willing to bet your favorite rye's are all MGP, too.

Just tasted. It's very interesting. I read a couple reviews online, but found that most somewhat disagreed with my own experience.

I detect fennel/dill, grass, dry cinnamon, and a little lemon as far as scent goes. The taste follows the nose, but there's a huge citrusy kick after you knock it back. This is quickly overpowered by the heavy rye bite. The finish is spicy, peppery, and a little citrusy, lasting an average amount of time.

It has more character than most whiskies for the price point. Still too early to tell if I'm on board with rye or not, but I'm not displeased.

Aware me on MGP ryes because I know this is one. Are ryes that come from there with the same mash bill essentially identical? Or do brands specify their own distillation techniques and source their own ingredients, and just have MGP do the dirty work?

The MGP 95% rye mash bill is the same recipe used by several rye bottling companies. The mash is distilled at MGP, where it's mostly also barreled and stored for maturing. Companies then pick and choose which barrels they want for their own product, which they then bottle and mark-up at sometimes ridiculous prices.

If you've had one MGP rye, you've had them all. Certain companies may do something different in the finishing process (Angel's Envy puts theirs in a rum cask for extra aging), but the underlying flavor is the same. It's one of the reasons I shy away from rye, as there have been a lot of shady marketing practices to hide the spirit's true origin.

Pretty good bang for you buck bourbon, only about $30 but tastes like an upper mid-range bourbon. The single barrel is better but about double the price and fucking impossible to find.

Go with the triple wood instead, its far more interesting.

Curious: anyone have other cheap Scotch recommendations like this? I mean cheaper than the typical names' flagship offerings. Scotch is seen as a luxury in the U.S., and in some sense it really is, but there have to be tasty, cheap Scotches as well. What are cheap meme whiskies of Scotland?

MFW it’s $130 dollarydoos in down under land

Pic related is pretty much the only thing I drink anymore.

Caol Ila 12 is my go-to. Not too pricey, tastier than most.