Little Free Library

Do you have these near you?
Do you ever check them out?
Do you ever find anything good?

There are 6 within walking distance of me and I like to go for long walks at night so I'll usually stop by one on my walk. I find some good non-fiction sometimes but hardly ever any real literature.

Pretty much the same. Far fewer selections in my area's boxes than the stocked box shown in OP's image. Have yet either to leave or snatch a book. They are nice to have around, however.

There's a phonebox that functions as one at the end of my street, there's often some good stuff in there.

im near quite a few also, are you in mpls? ive found saul bellow, iris murdoch, and a virginia woolf in the last year, but also tons of trash. ive begun throwing stuff away if it sits longer than 8 months or so, shorter for romances/old textbooks.

I have one in my own home. I'm always weeding books from my collection. Those picked get put by the door, for friends and guests to take.

>Do you have these near you?
there are several within walking distance of me (intown ATL)
>Do you ever check them out?
The one that I walk directly in front of I usually glance at
>Do you ever find anything good?
There's something that I know to be worthwhile maybe one-in-fifteen times. More than half the books are known or obvious trash, and the remainder I don't know either way.

I'm a faggot who doesn't read anymore so I seldom cop, but I was stunned to find a copy of Chang's hip hop document Can't Stop Won't Stop (until i later realized that a guy I knew from the club scene lived right next to the LFL box) and I'm currently halfway through a copy of Tender is the Night I found in there, which i probably wouldn't have copped otherwise

Yeah there's one in the annex beside bmv. I clear it out and just sell the books at bmv. Get at least $10 a week. Pretty neat.

Ones keep getting put up near me, because I'm in a big city, but someone always destroys them. When I've seen them up, it's pretty much just plain genre fiction, so I've never used one. Cute idea though.

These started popping everywhere (france) in the last few months. Haven't found anything worthwhile in them yet.

I like these, even if the books are shit. Avoid church "little libraries", they pack it full of their literature to try and convert you!!

Original thread thx op

There's a consistently good one near me. I've gotten
>Search for Modern China
>three or four Shakespeare paperbacks
>The Disaster Artist
>some beginners' language readers
Not bad!

Back when I lived in the suburbs there were three in my neighborhood. It was one of those pleasantville-type places that parents take their kids because the schools were good. Now that I'm in the city, though, I haven't seen any. Shit would probably just get vandalized and/or stolen.

99.99% crap. I did pick up a copy of the Landmark Herodotus though

My parent's town has a couple, and the small town I used to work in had one. Never found anything worth taking. I left a Michael Crichton novel one time. I regret never planting anything patrician in them.

>ATL
hello.

yeah, never anything good but its a pleasant reminder that you dont live in a total shithole

yo.

Found The Stranger in mine a few weeks back. It's mostly junk but I'm in a college town so you get good stuff occasionally.

Probably bait but either way please gouge out your own eyes.

I'm actually north burbs most of the time, but close enough.

Mostly children's books, not too enticing for me desu

I bought 4 books from Magers and Quinn today. GOAT bookshop

Not that user, but I'm from kennesaw. Live in midtown now for school. Hola

It's weird but I always notice a lot of Georgia fags here, across several boards. Maybe it's like that for every region.

I actually don't see that too often. Might have to do with which specific boards people frequent, Veeky Forums is one where anons mention where they're from pretty rarely. Except uni threads, and I've never found anybody else that goes to Tech.

Supposedly there's one a little over a mile from me, but I wasn't able to find it walking around.

I'm tempted to put one up myself, but I'm on a busy-ish street, and we don't have sidewalks (I live in a little pocket of unincorporated once agricultural land that was never annexed by the city that surrounds it on almost all sides). Some day I might get around to building one all the same though.

>Not looting them.

Sad bait still makes me sad. Why ruin it for everyone else?

That's a pretty great find.

~come to book nook~

I have five that I check pretty regularly. Mostly they're filled with trash but I've gotten some pretty good stuff as well

The library gives out free books(ones that are probably going to the trash). So far the only book I've found that I brought home was signet classics war and peace(good condition too). A lot larger than ops picture but it's mostly dated contemporary garbage.

I've seen about 6 in my city (Winnipeg). 99% trash, though I did find one with a book about the history of Christian dominionism in America, which sounded interesting. It wasn't my thing so I left it.

Lots of these in San Diego but they're mostly full of shit books. I've noticed that when I get rid of my books they disappear within a few days. I've never taken a book from them.

#LibraryLootCrew

You guys are such pussies. Thing fills up by the next day or two. It's in a super high traffic area. I'm sure homeless people around there do the same thing.

>I'm sure homeless people around there do the same thing.
Homeless people also smoke crack and masturbate in the streets.

I've noticed a couple of these popping up as my neighbourhood and surrounding area have become increasingly gentrified. The one that was immediately closest to me had a copy of Nathan Hill's The Nix in it once and I thought about just up and stealing it because I did not have the correct currency - which is another book you're willing to give away - to swap it out at the time. Some time later, walking home after a night out I walked along that road to find discarded torn off book covers and various pages littering the street. I then happened upon the remnants of what was once a box very similar to that in the OP, smashed to pieces. Judging by the scorch marks an attempt was also made to set it on fire (I wondered why they didn't just set the books on fire and not the wood specifically but who am I to question such action?) I must admit, there was a sense of pride in seeing that monstrosity smashed to pieces. Also, regret because I never did snag that copy of The Nix when I had the chance....

It's those little instances of violence that give you hope, I guess. Of course the gentrifiers always win. So it's a bittersweet victory that I was vicariously celebrating.

Not sure what the fuck I'm writing anymore.

Fuck a Book Nook. Atlanta Vintage Books on Clairmont.
There are cats.

Are these burger inventions or what

yeah

Nothing good at the ones near me.

I got a Rita Rudner book out of it once, but despite my found memories of her act, I can't read this thing. I'll probably put it back

>gentrification is bad
We get it you hate everything white people do. Your compulsion to want to steal the book was nail in the envelope.

This is true.

Got such a thing too. I got a nice edition of Kästners' poetry from it, but ither than that, it yields mostly garbage. Lots of follet, moyes, clancy and such.

Well good news the majority of the world is non-white. Feel free to go literally anywhere.

Nah

>this neighborhood is being gentrified wahhh!!
>I dont want people to encourage each other to read books!!

There are 4 near me and every single one is always swamped with Clive Cussler books

I spent a night in jail with a Clive Cussler book and it was just about bearable once I'd got bored of walking in four foot squares.

something like at my college. usually filled with junk but there was once Histories by Herodotus. Dunno why I didn't grab it

there's one down the road. often just duds, but I've found Mr Palomar, London Fields, some shitty Peter Ackroyd that made for a comfy hangover, The Master and Margarita, a BFI Film guide to The Big Lebowski, and A Fine Balance.

I found Anton Lavey's Satanic Bible in one of those once..

Hadn't read it before and so took it home. Was very underwhelming.

Weird, I spent the night in jail with a Chris Claremont book. I sometimes think about tracking that shit down to see if it transports me back to my wasted youth or something.

worst thing was I could've been reading Lagerkwist's The Dwarf but they locked it up in the evidence room with the rest of my shit.

The closest one to me is two towns over and it's hosted inside of a church. I don't think they'd want a dishevelled, tired looking man entering their wheelhouse only to have him asking about the free books.

Tech alum represent. Didn't read lit at all before graduating, though

They're dotted around the neighborhoods I like to walk. They mostly have trash, but I have occasionally found some decent things such as The Old Man and the Sea and White Noise. I'd already read both, so I just left them. I don't put anything in because I don't take anything out.

Are there books laying around jail cells in your area? My cell was barren. With all my stuff taken, all I could do was meditate.

How do these work?

I just looked up my location, and I found at least 20 of them within walking distance. I want to try it out, but I don't want do it wrong.

Take a book, leave a book

Then with that in mind, I should probably prioritize my visits only to boxes in neighborhoods that are as far away from grade schools as possible.

Only use them if you're bored and curious, honestly, or if there's one on some commute you take. Like other anons have said, they're almost exclusively filled with shit. There's a couple on my commute, but I've yet to get anything worth reading from them.

There is one at my uni, but my uni is full of blacks so I don't bother with it.

I may use it as a glorified recycling bin and dump my useless books into it which I have accumulated over the year.

If there was one in my town, it would get stolen in 1 minute.

There's a few of them near me. I'm out of shelf space so I've been been leaving a few of my older books in them lately; ones I've had for 10-15 years, read a long time ago and have no desire to read again anytime.

what kind of thieves steal books though

There're used book stalls on streets, they steal them and sell them.

Lemme guess, you tried to read it on a subway in burgerland and got nabbed on a trumped-up pretension charge.
I was in a big county lockup with about 20 other guys. A deputy came by with a rolling cart containing 1 trashy SF book(set in the Willow cinematic universe, what the fuck) and 20 old travel guides to places that arent even countries anymore.

no different from Diogenes

If I'm correct in thinking its where anyone can take a book or leave one, I've seen them in some tube stations.