/SFFG/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General

Continuing the theme from the last thread:
Bizarre covers! This one seemed apropos to the discussion that ended the last thread.

BEHOLD! The Blessed Charts!
FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries (incomplete, mostly pre-Millenium):
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previously on 'Why Does One user Keeping Asking About Women Authors':

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=taNlGT3DTzo
youtube.com/watch?v=6n1QDMrXmXw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_H._Schmitz#Legacy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Trial listing the author ratings link. Feel free to fling poo if you disagree; my Teflon is fresh.

I certainly don't mind its inclusion. If nothing else, it is a valuable resource for dinoposters.

Should I?

It's not as good as the first book but still fairly enjoyable.

>reading the first book of Acts of Caine
>the obvious villain is (((Kollberg)))

Is M.W. Stover, dare I say, /ourguy/?

I should have waited for her to finish the series, then at least I could plough on all four at once

Welcome to the eternal wait. I hope that the first person in line is going to rip a copy of these suckers the same hour it releases.

> vegana author
youtube.com/watch?v=taNlGT3DTzo

>natives kidnapped the president and jews has to rescue him
Are the natives trying to stop the NWO from taking place? It's 1999, so they obviously know what will happen in the 2000s.

It's okay. Just hope an autist donates because the site is going to get more traffic. Just enough to pay for domain/server use.

It's awful, though Republic of Thieves is surprisingly good by comparison.

Give me some fantasy where it starts out happy and genre typical then goes full GRI out of nowhere.

>Bizarre covers!
I think the bizarreness of a cover scales directly with the number of naked fat men on it.

Anyone here read Anita Blake books? I heard she does good necromancer novels.

worth the read?

>made over 120 memes for lit over the past 6 years
>only saw them posted less than 10 times by others
>i forgot more than half of the memes I made

It has s&m, lolis, grannies, milf, rape, "wtf is that a trap?", gri, Stockholm syndrome, anime, earth no jutsu, stands in the form of mole people, etc.
You decide.

>made 2 memes for /sffg/
>see one of them posted every other thread
feels good man

wat
>earth no jutsu
oh my
It's at least veiled or it's plainly weaboo sjw shit?

>Salon.com

why did you greentext a news website

The best lolis ever

if Salon praises something avoid it like the plague

no

>t. /pol/

What?

i dont really mind sjw as long as it not
>hey mi name is marina and i am a genderfluid trap with a dick 18 inches hehe
>whats your name

Scores high on GRI and middling on anime, highly reccomended.

>Reading fantasy book
>Find out the author is a tranny

Should I bother continue reading it? I don't like trannies very much.

well, i made some researchs and looks like almost everyone is black, the girl had a romance developing with a guy but turns out he's gay all along so he and her have sex with the pirate and become a family of 3, really.
Please anons help me find a not so shitty fantasy novel.

Schaffa is white and based.

The Broken Sword.

The entire time I assumed the retarded poison was a lie, I was actually mildly surprised it was real. I found it odd that they didn't even spend a moment considering the possibility that the poison was a bluff

i dont like histories with christianity included, dunno why

Your loss dude.

what does /SFFG/ think about the black company series?

It kinda shit the bed the final two books.

What was up with the entire final book anyway? It seemed like nothing but a setup for something then everyone kind of abruptly died and the series ended. Tobo was prophesied to do something then just sort of got his ass kicked.

What do you get when you cross At The Mountains Of Madness with Barsoom and Ridley Scott's Alien movies? Clarke Ashton Smith's Martian survival horror short story The Vaults Of Yoh Vombis, here excerpted.

---

If the doctors are correct in their prognostication, I have only a few Martian hours of life remaining to me. In those hours I shall endeavor to relate, as a warning to others who might follow in our footsteps, the singular and frightful happenings that terminated our researches among the ruins of Yoh-Vombis. Somehow, even in my extremity, I shall contrive to tell the story; since there is no one else to do it. But the telling will be toilsome and broken; and after I am done, the madness will recur, and several men will restrain me, lest I should leave the hospital and return across many desert leagues to those abominable vaults beneath the compulsion of the malignant and malevolent virus which is permeating my brain. Perhaps death will release me from that abhorrent control, which would urge me down to bottomless underworld warrens of terror for which the saner planets of the solar system can have no analogue. I say perhaps . . . for, remembering what I have seen, I am not sure that even death will end my bondage . . . .

There were eight of us, professional archaeologists with more or less terrene and interplanetary experience, who set forth with native guides from Ignarh, the commercial metropolis of Mars, to inspect that ancient, aeon-deserted city. Allan Octave, our official leader, held his primacy by virtue of knowing more about Martian archaeology than any other Terrestrial on the planet; and others of the party, such as William Harper and Jonas Halgren, had been associated with him in many of his previous researches. I, Rodney Severn, was more of a newcomer, having spent but a few months on Mars; and the greater part of my own ultra-terrene delvings had been confined to Venus.

I had often heard of Yoh-Vombis, in a vague and legendary sort of manner, and never at first hand. Even the ubiquitous Octave had never seen it. Builded by an extinct people whose history has been lost in the latter, decadent eras of the planet, it remains a dim and fascinating riddle whose solution has never been approached . . . and which, I trust, may endure forevermore unsolved by man. Certainly I hope that no one will ever follow in our steps . . . .

Contrary to the impression we had received from Martian stories, we found that the semi-fabulous ruins lay at no great distance from Ignarh with its terrestrial colony and consulates. The nude, spongy-chested natives had spoken deterringly of vast deserts filled with ever-swirling sand-storms, through which we must pass to reach Yoh-Vombis; and in spite of our munificent offers of payment, it had been difficult to secure guides for the journey. We had provisioned ourselves amply and had prepared for all emergencies that might eventuate during a long trip.

>People here read wimmen authors
lol

Never read books by degenerates

This. It kinda did shit the bed but for some reason I liked the way the story arcs were set up.
As much as I enjoyed Black Company, I'm in love with Malazan books at the moment.
Tried getting into them earlier but Gardens of the Moon was too much at the time. This time I get the praise totally, currently reading Memories of Ice and it's awesome. Hope the series stays as good until the end.

Its such a massive red flag isn't it? They all seem to push the most vile ideas to the point where it makes me want to throw up.

what are some far future books (at minimum 500 years from now to 10000 years from now) can you anons reccomend?

>he reads any fantasy book not from tolkien
how is it having such a shit taste?

Tolkein is top tier pleb & generic

At least Tolkien is literature unlike most of the genre fantasy and fiction.

This is a stupid opinion.

This is also stupid.

>implying based Wolfeman isn't worth reading

>books released up to 10000 years from now
Not Winds of Winter

Tolkein promotes race mixing

>implying the orcs weren't inspired by Tolkien's disgust at the degeneration of Spaniard to Mestizo

no, i meant the story and setting is that far in the future.

This actually makes me think more of The Walls of Eryx by Lovecraft and Sterling than At the Mountains of Madness.

tolkien was racist guys, chill.

>the black humans allied with morgoth helping him in the siege of idontremember
>the black elf helped in the fal of gondolin(is that the name?)
and so on
he hated nigger

Does it show in the book? Or was it fine before you learned of the author?

>dark elf destroys gondolin because "muh dik, gimme dat elf cousin"

BoTNS

Eugenio Loboe seems to be a recurrent /sffg/ approved author. What is the absolute recommended book/series from him? what is the most anime and the least GRI?

Donaldson one-uped Tolkien with the first two Thomas Covenant Chronicles.
Book 1 of his new fantasy trilogy comes out November 14th.

Hi, /SFFG/, everyone knows that BD usually makes songs inspired by fantasy books, so this song lighted up my interest of the source which it originated but i cant find what they used as inspiration, can someone point it out for me?
youtube.com/watch?v=6n1QDMrXmXw

surethingbuddy.jgp
tolkien is god

I think it's from Twin Peaks IIRC

>What is the absolute recommended book/series from him?

BotNS. Just keep in mind, if you don't like puzzles, references, or hardly ever reread books, then you likely won't get the most out of his work.

>What is the absolute recommended book/series from him?
The Book of the New Sun of course
>what is the most anime and the least GRI?
Eh, he's not really anime at all, though Vampire Hunter D was supposedly inspired by BotNS. Also, I personally believe that series wirtten by Dai Satou, especially Eureka Seven and Ergo Proxy do the Wolfeian atmosphere of "you don't understand anything the first time through, and the second time it feels like a completely different work" pretty well. Alas, the question was which of Wolfe's works is most similiar to anime, not which anime are most similiar to Wolfe's works, so I have digressed.

The Night Land Retold

Is the Witches of Karres a cute read?

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_H._Schmitz#Legacy

>Male feminist
nope

Thanks. I'll try to get the omnibus but i rather have paperbacks since I read on the go.
I like The knight's cover, is it any good? From synopsis seems like an isekai story.

It's really cute, but the MC is a little too old to keep it from being creepy too, and the prose is so bland you'll spend the whole time waiting for it to start.

Anything similar? Doesn't have to be post-apocalyptic.

Basically someone going on a journey and dealing with internal conflict or growth and finding their views changed or challenged by the journey

It's really funny how often the right answer to a rec question in /sffg/ is Book of the New Sun.

Check out We by Yevgeny Zamyatin if you want some great Russian Science Fiction/Dystopia.

Startretard

Thanks for your input

I really hope you didn't listen to some nutter talking about how its "creepy" for a guy to be around a younger girl or talking about the "prose"

Cutest lolis

Really excellent book.

Hypothetical question: is a character with a gamebreaking power who can't use use it to its full extent for ethical reasons (for example, a fire bender who doesn't want to hurt people or commit arson) still OP, or does it more or less cancel out?

Yes, he's still a broken piece of shit, unless him using it has actual negative consequences, beyond muh morals.

wait, do you mean it has to have a consequence every time they use it, or it had permanent and horrible consequences one time they used it that they can never forgive themselves for?

>the science fiction classics consist of stand-alone 200-400 page novels and I can read all the important works in a couple of months
>the fantasy classics consist of 3-10 part series where every book is at least 1000 pages long

why is this allowed?

Only, and I mean only, if they stick to it the whole way through. No loopholes, no rage moment, etc. Otherwise it just becomes a convenient deus ex machina in disguise.

Although, it's not like broken characters aren't inherently bad. You just have to tell a different kind of story with them.

name one "fantasy classic" where that is true

yo, is there a collected edition of all of CAS's stories? i have the penguin classics one, but it didn't have the story you posted yesterday. i assume there's some more that were left out.

Science Fiction is a million times better than Fantasy in terms of story, covert art, characters, and prose.

Prove me wrong.

too much liberal propaganda in sci-fi

What if their character arc is about them learning to use their powers a different way to do the right thing without violating their morals?

say for example, going back to the firebender, instead of using it to burn people, they learn to use it for stuff like cauterizing wounds, thawing roads so ambulances can get through, melting walls to give innocent people an escape route or reshaping screwdrivers for when the villain's time bomb uses nonstandard screws

I disagree. Most fantasy books and authors tend to be a queer or lesbian woman or MtF pushing some female power fantasy. Science Fiction on the other hand has a wide range of subjects.

Any good historical fiction about Rome or the tribes of the classical antiquity?

SF is Fantasy, you brainlet.

The King Must Die. Till We Have Faces.

Well, I suppose those are more Greek.

What makes Sanderson's prose workmanlike? What does it mean to have workmanlike prose?

This is one of the main gripes I've seen about his writing on here.

t. brainlet

Obviously you look up the bio's of the author and don't read shit by women, haven't seen any trannies, I don't think people post too much of that faggot stuff on Mobilism, which is the only place I get books from.

The First Man in Rome by Colleen McCullough
Imperium by Robert Harris
Roman Blood by Steven Saylor

>Most fantasy books and authors tend to be a queer or lesbian woman or MtF pushing some female power fantasy.
when the worms have started eating into your brain but it feels good

It's bland. I don't know how else to describe it. Like if you made a computer program that took in millions of samples of writing, from the greats like Nabokov, Dostoevsky, Faulkner, Hemingway (I'm just throwing names I remember out there) to the dregs of genre fiction and told it to churn out text that will be an average of all of these, Sanderson's prose would come out.

I loved that book as a kid. But it is a kids book. Don't expect epiphanies and revelations to come springing forth. Read it, enjoy it for what it is,and ignore the haters.

>MtF pushing some female power fantasy.
that's unironically more common in sci-fi

It means not much description and isn't very lyrical. AKA Beige Prose. So Sanderson, Asimov, PKD, Alfred Bester, Vonnegut etc all have that sort of prose and they also tend to be the sort of authors who write more plot than description.