it has to be worthy of my romantic lifestyle though

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DDRPtg0kmJU
youtube.com/watch?v=SEuOoMprDqg
encyclopediadramatica.rs/Tom_Preston
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Where's the joke?

Also Little Ceaser's Pizza every day until you die

My elderly father lived most of his working life as an artist, he was successfull enough to buy a house, and put three kids through private school, all while not starving. Why is it that artists keep being artists when they're not good enough at it to do it? You don't see many starving plumbers.

That's because people need plumbers

they bought into the "do what you love" meme

>OP misspelled starving autist

>My elderly father lived most of his working life as an artist, he was successfull enough to buy a house
>Why is it that artists keep being artists when they're not good enough at it to do it?

Kafka for example died of starvation from TB, any ordered his works to be burned after his death. Was he not good enough of an artist?

Your father probably was a populist hack, making hot pandering garbage.

>you have to make art most people don't like or else you're not an artist
Why? You can do both, nothing about being a unique creative type means you have to be incompetent with money and career. Kafka wasn't a very good businessman, either. Sure there's something to be said for bold and challenging art objects, but if you can't or are unwilling to make desirable work then you're the hack.

>can't or are unwilling to make desirable work then you're the hack.

People who set out to make desirable work to sell are called craftsmen, not artists. There is a difference, you can't be insincere like that and make art. Wouldn't expect somebody on a cooking board to understand though.

Either way, how successful you are during your lifetime, in principle, has nothing to do with the quality of your art. Making art and continuing to strive despite a lack of success is usually admirable in itself. Most artists in this day and age are complete unknows.

This thread needs some violins.
youtube.com/watch?v=DDRPtg0kmJU

Either you get paid for your stuff or not, what you people call it really doesn't matter.

>implies cooking is a shitty art
>doesn’t realize this is the most Kafka-esque board here

youtube.com/watch?v=SEuOoMprDqg
Xanadu - Rush

Vincent van Gogh was considered an untalented hack for his entire life

being an artist comes from an internal drive, its not something you do instrumentally to put your little shitposting brats through college but because you find value in itself

t. non artist

But ops example is both shitty and makes very little money.

Just any cheap shit you can stomach. Ramen, multi-vitamins, and malt liquor is a classic. Personally I’m a fan of PB&J on whole wheat with store-brand potato chips and PBR.

because 10% of artists sell 90% of art, 10% of writers sell 90% of book and 10% of musicians sell 90% of music
its an iq thing, stephen king wrote 100 books while most writers rarely write 10

>its an iq thing, stephen king wrote 100 books while most writers rarely write 10

that's not an IQ problem, it's a work ethic and conscientiousness problem
the 10% who are at the top who stay there for extended periods of time really commit every second that they can to their craft, they don't have time for anything else, and just keep pushing and working
it's a life not many are capable of

>Ceaser's

oats faggot

I made one baby laugh at the grocery store and disturbed one, it's always a crap shot.

you kind of get used to it i can ussaly just eat a can of fruit and be fine. i think i ate 8 of them last week.

Is that Dobson?

thats absolutely how iq works, people with higher iqs will always be more successful (unless they are mentally fucked) no matter the field
>that's not an IQ problem, it's a work ethic and conscientiousness problem
the thing is a person with high iq when confronted with a problem will inmediately look for a solution and he will find it fast while the same problem can be a big setback for anyone else.
There are lots of starving artists woring part time jobs to be abble to afford ramen noodles, so was einstein, so was edison when they started but having a high iq meant they would easily work around any complication being poor brought them

Have you even read the post I'm replying to? Or are you just massively shifting goal posts?

I was talking about the most successful % of the population who stand at the very top of their respective fields. Sure, IQ means you will probably be payed more, however it doesn't mean you will climb to the very top, even if its 200+

how am i shifting goals?
every person on earth has setbacks and no plan is foolproof, the person who can solve setbacks better and faster is obviously going to end up at the top

>its an iq thing
IQ isn't what your simpleton brain believe it is.

>making things people want is 'insincere art'
No. Look, I understand pushing the envelope, being a tricky subversive fucker just to surprise people, personal expression, and niche work, but the idea that it's insincere to make work that other people want is ridiculous, because it presupposes that the only true artistic intent is to work selfishly. you can absolutely have a real social relationship with the people who receive your art, and share the same taste and respect for your work as your fans/clients/audience do. You can absolutely apply technique, design, passion, emotion, and artistry to a work in a way that makes people want it without being some sort of liar to yourself. Art isn't some hidden secret that lives only in the hearts of self-declared artists, it's something that gives off an artistic impression. Nothing about cash being involved ruins that.
Behold: a tortured, reluctant, commissioned, paid for, masterwork of art. I know you think it's insincere to do anything but stew in your own isolated attitude and try to spit on people from your poor man's art projects, but mastery is marketable, and masters create art. The only reason you would say otherwise is if you believe anti-capitalist sentiments are the most important thing about art.
Can something be art without being sold? Of course. But to say that nothing people pay for is art, or to feel the need to call a career artist insincere just because his work is worth buying, is some infantile amateur punk shit.

Was this a food thread?

SALAD. SOUP. VEGETABLES. This is EASY! After a successful day, you and your extremely hot Japanese gf slink on home to your stylish but funky loft and you commence to heat up some homemade soup while she puts a salad together. Munch on some vegetables while working, celery and carrots sliced into long strips et cetera. Soup is hot, salad is ready, wine is open... see how this works?

>there is zero way to make money using internal drive and passion
O I am laffin. On the contrary, passion and internal drive is the exact type of thing patrons and audiences pay for.

Where does IQ even factor in? If you don't write much, you can't be a 90% producer, regardless of IQ, and it's a certainty that not everyone of high IQ automatically puts in the work. Work ethic is more important than IQ because you can't get the job done without work ethic period.

Forgot my pic

it is tho
lets use stephen king for example
writing is hard, it takes a long fucking time and a lot of creativity, even when a book is finished it takes a lot of revisions until its something you can sell
what stephen king did is he figured out a way for him to be able to write a lot in a very short time frame and he wrote so many books that whenever you enter a bookstore there was something new in display and they had like 20 other books from him at all times
thats him controlling the market and he accomplished it completely on iq, it doesnt mean that he was so smart he was able to write non stop it means he figured out a way to be able to write with as much ease as a person who has been doing it for 60 years, thats probably something he had to teach himself to do

What you just described is work ethic and career planning, none of which was any to do with IQ. To be honest you have a good, normal point, but it feels like you keep throwing in the word IQ for some reason where it doesn't apply, it's so detached from the rest of what you're saying.

> the person who can solve setbacks better and faster is obviously going to end up at the top

somewhat true, to get the idea of what I mean let's pretend you just got a call and the setback that needs to be fixed is at 3am, and if it's not fixed you're not getting another call
the problem is that you can't just have a high IQ, you need to be on call 24/7 or you miss the opportunity

The people who are struggling to get to the top all have talent, all have IQ. The problem is that to get to that top percentile who makes all the money you have to struggle. IQ helps, but in no way is a ticket to the top, not even half of it. And when you get to the top you have to continue working that way for the rest of your life if you want to stay there.

you dont get it
the higer your iq is the easier it is for you to solve problems
writing is hard because it takes a lot of creativity, you cant say i will write 20 pages today as if you would run 20 laps around the park because you will get stuck and have no idea what to do
one of his most obvious solutions to this is that he created his own style and writes everything in the same genere, whenever you read one of his books the same kind of things tend to show up and this is no accident, most of his books share themes because they take place in the same universe and are prt of a bigger thing
that way every book is king of part of a bigger book so whenever he has to write a setting or a character or some creppy shit its not as hard because he doesnt have to figure it out completely at the moment
you are over simplifying very complicated things

because iq isnt the only factor but its definetly the bigger factor
lets say you have to be on the call and you miss it, a high iq person will either make up for it in some way or find a way to achieve what he wanted regardless of the fact that he missed that chance
because you dont experience one problem, you experience hundreds of them every week
>The people who are struggling to get to the top all have talent, all have IQ
but they dont have the same iq and even a small difference can go a long way
>money
iq is a bigger factor than money, money can get you a lot of publishing deals but cant teach you how to write
if people where inmortal, at some point in the future the person with the higest iq in the world would have complete control over it and own everything, thats how it works.

Memes aside the joke is that even after spraying shit on his bakes potato he still can't believe it's not butter... why aren't you laughing user?

Sadly this is the closest Dobson has ever come to an actual joke. Double sadly This was also his first entry into SYAC

That comic strip stinks.

you really need to get treatment for that graphomania

>Ceaser
Cease this

Wow user, you’re a real smart feller.

I think you're using the phrase IQ to mean 'all possible problem solving and decision making', when IQ is just a metric to measure intelligence. To be honest your talk about IQ isn't bringing anything to the table when we already know that smart, problem solving go-getters are more successful, and nothing about IQ has anything to do with making good deals with people or waking up on time. You're not really making an argument for what IQ is or why it's important, you're more just repeating that IQ is what it's called when you solve a problem the right way.

You haven't even scratched the surface of the surface.

I know and I would like to keep it that way. Please stop showing me these comics. For some reason when people think they are funny when they are obviously not it makes me furrow my brow.

im not high in iq
listen, you argue that being organized and conscious is more important than having a high iq
what you dont et is that the person with higer iq than you already figured that out before you did and is better at it than you
iq is your capacity to solve problems, i already stated that, thats what intelligence means because you can contextualize anything in life as a problem with a solution

encyclopediadramatica.rs/Tom_Preston
Then you'll be happy to hear he's a fucking loser making feminist white-knight strips and mooching off his parents in his late 30s. He also has some of the worst taste in literally everything, it's a sight to behold.

knowledge of how to get somewhere doesn't mean you have the will to actually go there
people who worship their own intellect seem to think that just because they understand something they can control it, but it doesn't work like that IRL

Find a place that sells these, I have seen them for as low as $0.47 a pound, buy two of these and a big 20 pound bag of rice and you can eat chicken and rice all month for like $20.

high iq only means you have the capacity to solve problems faster than most people which in turn means you could be better than people with lower iqs in almost anything
>people who worship their own intellect
i dont think im high in iq, i think that im completely average, if i had high iq i wouldnt struugle so much in the exact same way most people struggle

DID YOU SAY BROW

lol, with how I see him everywhere on Veeky Forums I thought he would be popular and well off

IQ isn't a word that means 'figures out the perfect thing to do all the time fastest', it's just its own testable score that's meant to measure intelligence in isolation. Nowhere is high IQ defined as 'the ability to figure out what's right for your career fastest'. Yes, quick thinking and good problem solving are huge for a career, but saying 'IQ is the thing that makes you do the best thing all the time' isn't an argument, it's a statement you keep repeating, and no one here really agrees with you that's what IQ is.

you are too stubborn to listen to me, this is pointless.

>doesn't get Seinfeld
Well that explains the dearth of humor. Please don't post any more.

I get what you're saying, 'the most important thing for a career is to be smart enough to figure out and do all the best things for your career'. I get that. I just don't agree that this is measured by IQ, or understand why it's so important to say IQ when doing the smart thing is its own singular thing. I just think because IQ is merely a part of productivity and career planning, there's no reason to say it's the most important thing since it can't be isolated and reduced. Intuition, work and success are their own things, they all mean a lot more than a testable number.

some artists are committed to their vision to the point unto death, while others just make stuff that'll sell

And some artists achieve their vision in a way that makes people want to buy it.

>Dobson
>starving
>artist

You just gave me cancer user

>smart enough to figure out and do all the best things for your career
its not on a career level, its everything
im going to try to explain it differently, imagine you arrive into a situation and have choices, lets say you have a test in a week and there isnt enough time for you to learn everything you need to
a low iq person would think ok my options are to create the perfect study plan, skip all my classes for the week at the cost of my attendance and work myself to the bone

a high iq person could think ok, i could do all that but instead of not going to class i can just show up in time to answer when they take list and study n the library all day which is better anyways, i can talk with the professor and ask for advice, i can ask people who already took the test, i can try to summarize information so i dont have to go over the less relevant things, i could record myself reading and then play said recording as i cook dinner or shower or commute to school
higher iq = more choices = better solutions = better outcome
if this isnt enough to make my point i give up

I understand what you're saying, I'm just looking through sources and I can't find any evidence that IQ means creative problem solving. Everybody says that it's an abstract metric meant to help scale the vague notion of 'intelligence'. Yes you have to be smart and creative enough to figure out all the right moves, but IQ is a really limited reduction of that concept, and effort plus content is still paramount. If you're saying IQ is inherently lord above all that then I disagree with you because IQ doesn't mean 'always makes the best decision points', and if it does, then it's such an advanced yet nebulous idea that saying 'oh having a high IQ matters most' is stupid because apparently the word IQ captures the totality of all good things a person can do. And it's still true that someone who doesn't have the passion or effort will be less successful than someone who does even if they have a higher IQ.

>I can't find any evidence that IQ means creative problem solving
there are studies, books,even videos explaining it. You could even watch one of those 10 minutes powerpoints that are so popular on youtube to get the absolute basic points
an iq test ist that dumbthing you do online, irl iq tests are long, you have to take many of them so the data is as accurate as possible and there are proffessionals evaluating your results
your iq is like how tall you are, if you are really tall you would make a great baketball player but you can still choose to not play bsketball

Cum

What Stephen King figured out is that coke and speed can help you stay awake enough to write 24/7.

>hardly anyone answering OP’s question

Rice and beans is romantic if you eat it outdoors, so invest in a dehydrator, dehydrate you some rice and beans and go live out in the woods for a week or three. Don’t leave the rice and beans home by accident or you’ll have to forage.

Coq au vin is French and made with wine, and France and wine are romantic. You can use two-buck Chuck to keep it budget.

what the excuse of every other writer then? they are all doing some kind of drug

The Joke is his life

just look at his face in the third panel

kek

aye lad, it be son of dob indeed

Chicken, whole, thighs, or breasts

Potatoes

In season fruits or frozen berries

Vegetables of choice

And herbs and spices
Learn fancy recipes and plating techniques

Can make your dish even cheaper

Ramen( angel hair and broth)

Bread ( flour, sugar, salt, and water)

Chips ( potatoes and cheap oil)

Pbr( Milwaukee’s best ice

Cheez-Its are pretty good bang for your buck.

Ave, True to Caesar.

Is that Dobson?

>Stephen King figured out

Jack Kerouac was here.

the guy you responded to sounds pretty pretentious but you are delusional if you think that most popular art nowadays shows unfiltered internal drive.

It shows some kind of drive, the same type of drive businessmen usually have. And now that I think about it, why would it be bad, it shouldn't be frowned upon. It's not artistic drive, but it can be useful to society.

I wasn't judging it, I was just saying that artists completely indulging in their ideas often results in some pretty weird stuff. Everything has it's time and place.

Kafka worked as a successful legal clerk for his entire life. He did not starve from a lack of money

>successful legal clerk

now that's a new one

rice and beans with a crème fraiche and tomato sauce.
cheap and red, thus, romantic

Great. I have a boner now. Back to /b/ i guess.

Buy large cuts of meat & butcher yourself. Boil with some cheap noodles, salt and any other inexpensive spice for daily soup portions. Supplement with bread if there's leftover money. Would also recommend getting garlic if you can, easiest way to enhance soup & prevent sickness.

You don't get the brilliance of Dobson, his comics aren't shown because people think they are funny. They are to show you a man so petty that you just can't feel bad about enjoying his misery.

He's a lolcow almost anyone can enjoy.

>money is the source of human value

Damn man I always forget how much better Taylor Swift is at making art than Kafka and Herman Melville and Emily Dickenson and Throeau and Edgar Allen Poe

>tfw have a high paying job and do art on the side
I could live entirely off art if I wanted to but I like being able to reject clients if I don't like their requests.