Americuck here. I've never had a really good, authentic English fish and chips. If I get the chance for one...

Americuck here. I've never had a really good, authentic English fish and chips. If I get the chance for one, should I have the cod or the haddock? Which one is the best, or which way do most bongfags have it? I want to try it at least once, I don't want to fuck around, I want to try it properly. Bongfags only.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-5ayNU-NfLM
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr3Rrzrv8vU)
youtube.com/watch?v=LoNhqkUHyGg
dailymotion.com/video/x2iiu5d
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

cod

Cod in London but might be different elsewhere

Turbot

New Englander here.

Haddock is a type of cod.

this user gets it.
one of the greatest chefs in britcuck history recommends Turbot:
youtube.com/watch?v=-5ayNU-NfLM

Whats the honest difference between "authentic" fish and chips and regular American fish and chips? I've had it at places here in America that specialize in it, and it was fucking amazing.
Do britfags do anything special with it that makes it better or what?

Thanks. I know the place has to have real malt vinegar to go with it. What about beer to go with it? I'm guessing an English pilsner or ale? If I get one chance to have the real deal, I want all of the real deal.

Heston Blumenthal as well
Mr. Best Nr1 World best restaurant 2005

Shut the fuck up, we're talking about English fish and chips the way it's served in English chip shops, not your stupid political garbage.

What?

I eaten french fries a million times. I've eaten fried fish a million times. I want advice on fish & chips, malt vinegar, and beer the way the English have them, not dick around whining about "oooh, Americans have fried fish and french fries too!" Fuck off.

you require a nap.
you're getting testy.

Maybe a bit. Sorry. I still would like to know everything there is to know about a good, traditional fish n chips, like if you got a really good one in the middle of London. The fish, the batter, the chips, the vinegar, the sauces, the beer, everything. When I try something new, I don't do it half-assed. I want the full experience.

It’s impossible to recreate at home. I’ve tried everything. Marco’s way, Heston’s way (m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr3Rrzrv8vU) different types of potato, different types of oil, I’ve asked in chip shops what the secret is, I’ve read all there is to read online... I’ve finally come to the conclusion that it’s not the ingredients, it’s the hardware. The huge fryers they use in commercial shops. Or more specifically, the temperatures. If you dunk food into a pan of oil at home, the couple of litres of oil you’ve heated instantly plummet in temperature. In chip shops they have gallons of red hot oil, the temps stay constant. Unless you spend thousands on a huge, dedicated cooker, I’m telling you, it’s not happening. Hestons method is pricey but decent, you’ll end up with a tasty meal (although cod is just as good as turbot imo) but unless you have access to a fryer, the only way you’ll get the legit, unique chip shop taste, is by going to a decent chippy in the uk.

>full experience
well the first step is to rule the world and then slowly lose it.
;)

The thing is, English people have emmigrated to the US, and set up pubs and chip shops. If I go to a pub or chip shop run by a guy from England, I want to do it the right way. Is there anything I should look for in a pub or chip shop run by a guy from England? A brand of malt vinegar or beer or something?

i work in a kitchen with a big ol fryer, do you know what recipes would be good for that kind of setting?

Honestly after months of trying, I’m certain that the thing to look out for is the size of the fryer. Chip shops will use Maris piper potatoes in irregular lengths, cut thick and chunky. They won’t double fry, the chip won’t be particularly browned or crispy, it’ll be soft inside and loaded with flavour. The cod will be thick and generous, the batter will be golden not dark brown, and have a decent crunch. Any malt vinegar will do, typically whatever is cheapest. Ramsay uses balsamic and that’s nice too.
I wish I could teleport a meal to you because it really is maddening getting it right at home, and if you go to a shitty place you’ll have no frame of reference by which to judge it. All I can promise you is that if it’s done properly, it’s one of the greatest meals on earth.

I don’t unfortunately, all I have is a faggy little fryer and the only instructions I’ve found correspond to that.

This is what the fish looks like from a chippy in the uk. That fish actually looks perfect. Better than Heston’s, his batter is too dark. Neither of them has got the chips right. Neither have I, not once, but I have found that using duck fat is a step up from using vegetable oil. Still not as good as even a mediocre fish n’ chip shop.

>mfw I used to live 1 mile from an expatriate owned English pub.

>Now I live 200 miles away.

>it’s not the ingredients, it’s the hardware

Congratulations on discovering the secret behind basically all good fast food. In the US the best hamburger joints pretty much all have one thing in common: 50+ year old griddles that have basically never been cleaned.

You can get good bong style fried fish almost everywhere in the US, the fuck are you even talking about? The only difference is that bong style fries ("chips") are fucking terrible and nobody here wants them.

Nothing is Impossible™
have you tried leaving the fish out for around 10 mins to let it reach closer to room temp? maybe do this whilst you prep your other ingredients. have you tried using a dedicated mini fryer machine?

i don't know man. it seems very plausible to make crispy fried food at home. i make pretty good fries at home, with just a pan and corn oil. but haven't tried White's fish & chips method using only a beer batter. but his method looks solid.

for those of you who are enthusiastic about frying at home, you might want to look into a cast iron pan with high walls. because cast iron holds heat a lot better than the usual stainless steel bullshit.

the metal material of your pan + type of oil makes a difference.

i don't have enough room in my kitchen for a mini electric fryer and they all look sketchy.

I can also get Mexican "style" food, or Chinese "style" food, but it's not the real deal, is it? That's what I'm fucking talking about. When I lived in NYC and Savannah, there were pubs and fish-n-chips joints owned by English ex-pats that opened their own businesses to have a taste of home and offer something on the market that no one else had.

youtube.com/watch?v=LoNhqkUHyGg
Pay attention to the sizes, the colours of the fish and the chips. Golden but not brown, the chips are soft, not double fried, not crunchy. These look about as perfect a representation of Brit fish n’ chips as I’ve seen.

>bong "style" fish and chips

No. Fish and chips isn't something super fancy or authentic; it's fucking beer battered white fish that's been deep fried. I've made it at multiple restaurants in the US and have had it many times in the UK; it's really nothing special.

Here's the thing: potatoes are American

the mexican or chinese "style" food isn't the real deal is because authentic ingredients aren't available, so you substitute with other varieties or just omit them. making an authentic mole in an area without a mexican grocery store would be pretty much impossible. and in a lot cases, the necessary ingredients are fresh produce which can't be affordably shipped.

to put it simply, none of that applies to fish and chips.

They were in the 1400-1500s CE when they were first brought over from the New World to the Old. In the past 600 years, potatoes have become a staple crop and adopted into the cuisine of every country in North & South America, UK, Ireland, Europe, and Russia. Probably Africa too. Asians don't seem to have much of a handle on potatoes, but they're glued to rice.

Cod

You realize we have cod in Canada too, right? We destroyed the cod population on the grand banks. Come to Canada if you don't want to fly to London for a good fish and chips. We're Britain Light.

Halifax got some mean fish and chips boy

No Doubt. I'd murder an orphan for a taste.

kek

>We're Britain Light
>We're Britain and France Light
FTFW.

I'm kidding. We have our French population too, the only difference is, we quarantined them in Louisiana, and didn't give them the legislative power to force all labels to be double printed in English and Frog-speak.

Seriously though, Canada has its shit together, frogs aside. Plenty of good beer, plenty of good weed with no legal worries, plenty of good hunting, and you can go to the doctor without being bankrupted.

Louisiana has a depth of sea food that Canada can't touch.

dailymotion.com/video/x2iiu5d

That is real French seafood. I honestly couldn't believe cajun cooking. It's next level.

this is what empires do
see: thousands of years of history

swamp food*

It is, but jesus christ, it's Michelin star level food. These people don't fuck around.

>Authentic
It's fucking fast food. What would you respond when someone asked you for an authentic recipe for burgers?

Son, you wouldn't believe it until you've visited New Orleans. I woke up and walked along Bourbon St. in the French Quarter at 7:00 am and found a pirate-themed bar open, and offering a three-for-one drink special at seven o'clock in the fucking morning. I walked in and asked for a bourbon-and-coke, the bartender takes a giant soda glass, pops in two cubes of ice, then half-fills it with bourbon (easily six or seven shots of bourbon in one), then tops it off with coke. My dad wanted to try the best bread pudding in New Orleans, so we went to a different restaurant every night. and he had that restaurant's bread pudding for dessert. At the end of the week? "I can't decide. Those were all the best I've ever tasted."

Ok bongs, this isn't my picture but this is from the best place I've ever gotten fish and chips in the states. Does it look """"""""authentic""""""" enough? They also have lemon wedges and malt vinegar available.

The chips are too narrow and too uniform in size. They don’t look as cosy as those you’d get from a legit chippy - which really are unique. The fish looks good from what I can tell but has too few ragged, crispy edges.

So basically authentic fish and chips are just supposed to look like shit?

I hear some places are using dogfish now since Cod is becoming expensive/unsustainable and those things are everywhere. There isnt even a catch/size limit on them. (Cape cod fag here)

They're supposed to look like fish and chips, not an imitation. I guarantee they won't be as nice. Stop trying to be abrasive.

That happens with deep fried fish, some would say its the best part, like the crusty end of a steak
Go have a fillet of fish.

>I want advice on fish & chips, malt vinegar, and beer the way the English have them

1) catch a fish in the north atlantic
2) fry it
3) pour vinegar over it
4) enjoy it with a beer of your choice

Do you actually believe that there's more to it than this?

>Catches a mackrel, shallow fries it in olive oil, pours cider vinegar over it and has a corrs lite
Great job, user. Just like in London.
OP, Use Heston's method for the chips and White's for the chips, it's as close as you'll get. Cod is most common in the south (rich) and haddock in the north (poor) both are great.

>Heston's method for the chips and White's for the chips
derp. Heston's for the chips and White's for the fish.

Britbongs, post your best fryups so your brothers across the pond can masterbate to them.

t. americunt

honestly one of the worst preparations of fish
toddler tier food only as good as the sauce you're dipping it in

If you're dipping it in sauce, you're doing it wrong.

I assume you're either a weeboo who eats gas station sushi or someone who noodles catfish from their local swamp/cesspool. If you cant appreciate all styles you're just being oppositional for the sake of being controversial/superior.
I'll give you some credit for saying "honestly" instead of "literally" when talking shit.

>Whats the honest difference between "authentic" fish and chips and regular American fish and chips?

MUSHY PEAS

Only legit British fish and chips come with it. Not saying that American fish and chips aren't tasty, but you are likely to get a side of coleslaw instead.

You need to use particular, mass-produced brands in order to get the authentic experience?

You need to go to a fish and chip shop in England to get the authentic experience, hence my saying "it's as close as you'll get"

...also, none of that is mass produced, what are you even talking about? It's a fresh fish, freshly made batter and hand-cut chips. To what are you referring?

I don't know what the fuck you're even saying. I don't know what the fuck "Heston's method" is and I don't care to know. 1776 2.0 can't come soon enough.

>That slow, delicate, submissive crunch sound when the fish is bitten

Fun fact: fish and chips are considered to be the world's first fast food.

Read the thread you fucking halfwit. Heston and White's methods of making fish and chips have been posted ITT.
>1776 2.0
Are you literally 13?

>didn't give them the legislative power to force all labels to be double printed in English and Frog-speak.

Thank God for that

>press 2 for Espanol

Is your brain literally 14?

>batter
>hot oil
>vinegar

Jesus. I'll bet even Nicaraguans could match your chips & fish. What makes you an authority again?

Oh sod off brat, can't even be bothered with you.

It doesn't matter. Most fish and chip shops in England are run by brown people now anyway.

Not in my experience, but if they were, what would that have to do with anything?
Jesus christ, is nowhere safe from /pol/? Veeky Forums is saturated with this tedious shit

What's the cheapest authentic English beer? Like the total piss of American beer? Or is cider the more English cheap alcoholic beverage?

Suddenly a challenger appears from north of the border. Haddock Supper from the Burns Supper chippy in Prestwick, fucking Scotland. None of your English shite. Eaten in the traditional way ie in the car with your hands.

Well that's bullocks. In japan alone the gooks were eating food cart sushi in the early 19th century.

nah offense m8 but as an ameriblob the british version looks better

>batter fry looks better
>fries look better

Maybe it's just cause yours got steamed up and soggy in that container though.

Also >border
Scotland is not a real country, you are an Englishman in a dress

>Oh sod off brat

I don't speak Swedish

It's important to the discussion of authentic fish and chips if the place that created the dish is now overwhelmed with chip shops run by people from another continent.

most popular by volume is Carling. For something actually brewed in the UK, Tennents.

My friend from Ohio who lives in England drinks Frosty Jack's, and he's more English than the majority of Englishmen.

Cider in the UK is VERY cheap, or was until very recently, because it was exempt from heavy taxation to support Brit orchard owners and cider makers.

Not if they use the original methods and recipes, which if they don't, they'll close down. Honestly, all the chippies near me are run by white brits, not that it makes any difference you fucking simpleton. What you're probably thinking of is non-chain pizza and kebab places

>Frosty Jack's
i pity the poor fucker. utter filth. it's what all alchies drink when they're out of money.

>A meal dating back to the 1500's is fast food, a convention invented in the 1950's

I don't even have a smug enough image for this amount of stupidity.

tartar sauce on the fish
ketchup on the fries

Anyone who has ketcup on fish and "fries" needs to be shot.

>they'll close down

They won't because their 20 cousins they've brought with will keep them afloat.

Brits won't buy oven chips and frozen fish. If it's not legit people will simply never go back. It can't be faked, as illustrated by this thread, Blumenthal and Pierre White can't even re-create the stuff with home equipment.

I used to be really into fry-ups for a few years and then realized I was actually just getting them for the sake of it. I get whichever eggs benedict variety uses salmon now. Also the fried tomatoes are always shit. Who thought cutting an enormous tomato in half and frying it would actually taste good? It's always better when they "modernize" it at trendy places and use cherry tomatoes or those ugly green and brown tomatoes.

You make it sound like fish and chips are a classy food, hard to make, or only available in specific countries(actual wagyu). The people in the US put the same amount of effort into making your fish and chips that people across the pond do. You can get pretty damn close to "authentic food" if you know where to look past your nose. The problem is 90% of it is overpriced garbage that isn't even popular in it's own country.

too bad for you, we never gave up our guns

I have had a problem finding the exact perfect fish and chips, even when I recently went to England it was hard to find, what I had just tasted like American fish and chips until I went to barmouth and still it was faintly there but it wasn't the visceral flavor I remembered from way back when. The closest flavor I can describe it as is whatever is used to get the flavor of those scampi fry crisps

i don't really think you should even bother making it at home. you will invariably be underwhelmed. the best thing about fish and chips is getting it from a chippy.

in any case, you have to make mushy peas. it will definitely not be the same without mushy peas. and don't take from fresh green peas and mush them, that's not what mushy peas are.

Lunch. Jesus fuck there’s so much for £7

authentic fish and chips doesn't suck.
now leave

Most costal areas will have fish and chips, and up by the Great Lakes.
I live on NorCal and we have tons of fish and chip places. Pic related is actually run by a British lady, but honestly, my favorite fish and chips come from a place run by a Japanese family.

This is the other place. Their fish is just crispier and nicer for some reason.

swear i'm not trying to maymay you, this doesn't look right. it all looks like a... simulation, somehow. the kind of thing you'd create at home.

A simulation? What? Nope, those are real places. Here's another pic from the second place, called Anchor Fish and Chips.

chips are wrong in all 3

batter is wrong in the first one

where's the fucking vinegar and mushy peas

see (not me btw)

not kidding, it all looks wrong

Why would I have a picture of the fucking vinegar? Of course there's vinegar. The first place serves mushy peas, the second doesn't. However, both places make fucking amazing fish and chips, no matter what you cunts think.