What are the most important/influential/interesting current writers?

What are the most important/influential/interesting current writers?

I've spent a long time reading all kinds of works from the past, even if it was near past. Now I'd like to see what the present has to offer

Literature ceased being influential with the invention of radio and television.

Franzen and Murakami stand out to me. Not memeing. Under 40? Chimamanda. Americanah is fkn gud

N.N. Taleb, Nick Land, Rene Girard, Chuck Tingle

But that's wrong

Just trying to stir shit up, you know me.

>Franzen

lel

Hasn't Vollman reached "great writer" status already?

*internet

Recently, gnomanon on the left is pretty much the only really relevant writer.

Btw. Michel... easy with the wine. (God, he looks so awful nowadays).

Although the Nobel prize in literature is kind of a joke, the short list of probable winners has most of the living writers worth reading on it

i'm pretty sure they're hamming up his ugliness as a marketing ploy

>Under 40? Chimamanda. Americanah is

the ultimate prog lit

Dreams.....Simple. I could write a novel a day

Franzen is honestly one of the most boring authors I've ever read. Americanah was enjoyable but pretty average overall; almost a recycled, and slightly changed version of Thiong'o's ideas.
Leaving out obvious picks like DeLillo and Pinecone, I guess that Krasznahorkai, Murakami and Vargas Llosa to a much lesser extent (his latest books have been horribly average). Mo Yan is a pretty interesting author, too.

Thiong'o and Adonis are okay. Knausgaard and Houllebecq are both fun and interesting, but that's it. Javier Marías and Atwood are horribly overrated.

Finally, you have the guys who're actually trying to mix aspects of their time with their writing, but for a reason or another, have failed: Jennifer Egan, Nathan Hill, Douglas Coupland, Joshua Cohen, Zadie Smith (White Teeth was good, though), Tao Lin, Chabon (to a much lesser extent), and others.

William Trevor just passed away. I bought a collection of his short stories from the B&N bargain bin. Each one is masterful.

But the fact is that most of the action nowadays is in nonfiction. I find it quite disturbing that there is something of a golden age of independent media and nonfiction literature, but almost nothing in terms of fiction and poetry. The Reformation was fought not only in the pages of warring theological pamphlets, but also in the hymns congregations would sing together.

ahahaha

21st century literature is written in Spanish:

>2666, by Roberto Bolaño
>On the edge, by Rafael Chirbes
>The feast of the goat, by Mario Vargas Llosa
>Bartleby & Co., by Enrique Vila-Matas

Are other languages even trying?

i dont think anyone is gona argue that anglosphere literature is completely fucked at the moment

isn't*

agreed, pic related.

Franzen is great

I don't know man, all of them are way past their 60s (or dead). I would have expected someone younger

Tom McCarthy and Tobias Hill are pretty good. You should also Paolo Bacigalupi, if you can tolerate sci-fi

*check out