Should I study literature in college?

should I study literature in college?

If it wont hurt your wallet go for it, but you can easily learn just as much on your own.

user. I'm halfway through my biology degree. Every week, I have our college (which has a shit selection), send me whatever literature I want (literally anything I request that is accessible in the state of Georgia) though the interlibrary loan system. It's all free, unlimited renewals, etc.

Dear user. I'm garunteed a 60k starting position whenever I want I'm the US by my major, and that's if I only do undergrad.

I have so much free time. So much time to read. When I'm not doing anything else, I can read, whatever I want whenever I want.

Do you really want to go into the field of writing? Like, are you willing to complete with a shit ton of other graduates who also really want to go into that field?
If you do, that's great, bless you and good luck.

I choose biology, not because I loved it (though I am coming to), but because I'm good at it and it's only a tool to advance my interests.
I suggest you do the same.

(Maybe get a minor for fun, that's what I'm doing)

Absolutely not

Shit, double major if you want.

Just don't confuse things you enjoy doing in your spare time with things that'll let you succeed to the fullest.

>my biology degree
>m garunteed a 60k starting position whenever I want
Huh?

>muh edumucation

Not unless you want to have to endlessly suffer the "opinions" of overly outraged SJW womyn who don't even like to read challenging literature outside of class because they prefer genre fiction.

Study philosophy, if anything. At least there's still some measure of rigor there and you can't bluff your way through with elaborate fee fee talk.

Choose English at your own peril.

Lab techs my guy. The world always needs bench scientists.

Here's a rule; if it's anything artsy, you can learn it on your own in your spare time.

This. The only reason to get a degree is credentials for a higher-paying job. You can take literature classes if you want and there's a good professor around, but to spend your time pursuing it as a degree is useless unless you're one of the truly invested academic types such that if you couldn't do literature as a major you would kill yourself.

That or you want to become an English teacher at a high school or something. There's no getting around credential requirements for that.

sure you can "learn" it. but anyone who wants to be a good artist has to devote a great deal of time to their craft. you can't just read a few books on the side and expect to become a great writer. especially in the midst of completing an engineering degree or some other practical high demand major

Yes

>Biology lab tech
>60k starting salary

only as a minor or a double major
an english degree aint worth shit in the job market

no

Hahahha lmao. Good luck competing with all those med-school failures who also majored in biology for the easy 4.0 GPA. you're in for a surprise. p.s. chemistry majors are ALWAYS preferred over bio majors for any kind of lab job. biology specifics are piss easy to teach to somebody on the job, whereas that is not the case for chemistry.

Yes

What else are you going to do? Do a STEM degree so you can get a mediocre wagecuck position? Note that where i live you don't have to get into massive debt to go to university though, so might be more of a difficult decision if that's going to weigh you down

no

No unless you enjoy being unemployed. If that's the case then knock yourself out.

>they didn't make connections to get an easy job regardless of degree

Sure you aren't going to be a doctor without doing medicine, but it's not like most jobs require you to have a certain degree

Probably not. Unless you get an amazing professor, you will not learn much more than what you could if you just did it on your own. Not to mention the cost to risk ratio in choosing literature over other degrees.

Not unless you are truly, deeply passionate about literature or you want to work in law, journalism, or academia. Those are basically the only fields you can go into aside from actually being a writer.

What college are you at?

I'm a lit major, it is fun sometimes, other times you're just writing a lot, it is easy, just time consuming, plus if you are going to get a masters you can switch to another subject then.

Ya twat, you can get so many jobs with a lit major, how old are you?

What jobs can you get that you couldn't get with any other major?

you should study literature everywhere

Med-school failures are just that, failures. I've got 2 publications in a scientific journal, and 2 more upcoming.

Fucking Georgia College, small liberal arts college. It's piss easy, but it's setting my up really well for grad school.

Fun fact: I got easy jobs thanks to networking. Last time I was offered a job was Saturday morning at 12am. Go figure.

But it's not me. It's my degree. I could network all I want with a shitty degree, I still wouldn't be worth anything.

Old enough to have a degree in my field and a job. Actually studying to get a "serious" one.

Either do it as a minor or in your spare time. I love reading and writing, but it's a hobby to me.

There's always book clubs, and between your university library and lib.gen you have access to pretty much whatever you want to read, including the same textbooks covered in the class (maybe a few years out of date, but likely nothing major was changed)

yes, you should read books in your down-time.

No. You should study philosophy and computer science or ims. Read fiction in all of your free time and to counterbalance the toxicity of computer science

>Georgia College
No way. I'm here as well. I may transfer though.

it'll likely ruin literature for you having to listen to the retards in class butcher easy readings and listen to your professor spend 30 minutes going through intense mental spasms trying to explain what is actually going on in the book. Unless you go to a top school, stay away.

It's acceptable to have literature/English as your primary major IF and only if you go to an elite school that top management consulting firms and banks recruit from or think you can get into a T14 law school or are premed.

If you aren't at such a school and aren't premed or in line for a T14 law school then literature is usually pretty easy to get as a second major and won't hurt you.

Even if you're at an elite school though, it's easy to get another "soft" major alongside your lit degree like history, philosophy or economics that will associate you with more serious competitors in the job market and train some more rigorous reasoning skills.

Do you want to hate literature perhaps? Because that's the best most effective way to do it

>but you can easily learn just as much on your own.

Dumb and wrong.

That you are already conflicted about this tells me that you should not. Only study English as your primary subject if your heart is set on it or if you see a clear career path for yourself following the completion of your studies.

Don't know. I'm premed, so I can study literally whatever I want.

It depends: how far do you wanna go with it? I'd say it's probably not a good idea, but if you want to go as far as possible (read, spending 8 years to get a PHD and living in the meantime as a recluse in the crumpled linoleum mausoleum of academia) then there's really no other option.

Watch me!

yes, i mean NO...wait I mean...

Wait really?
Yeah dude, go if you want. I'm a junior, things are pretty good here for me and Im going to gradschool so I don't really feel a need to go anywhere until I graduate.
What year are you?

I am doing English lit, and if I could I'd get a second in some history concentration. But I'm minoring in Theatre at :^)

I'm a freshman.