Hunting

This may be a bit out of place, but does anyone here hunt? I've found I've gotten some of the best meat I've ever had from hunting, and I was wondering if y'all feel the same way.

>favorite meats
>bow or gun, and what do you use
>any luck this past season
>and recipes you'd be willing to share

I usually use my Ithaca 37 for bird and my Springfield trapdoor rifle for deer. Sadly, I didn't have any luck with either this season, but I only got to go out like 3 times.

Other urls found in this thread:

jerkyholic.com/jimmys-teriyaki-deer-jerky/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I shoot pheasant 3-4 times a year on organised hunts. I have a 12g Browning and normally bag 5 birds, sometimes more on each trip. Give them to family and friends. In UK, so limited season for me.

>Springfield trapdoor.

You are, and will always be, my nigga.

I hunt boar most of the time, and deer when I can. Mostly upland game and fowl as it doesn't take as much preparation.

Use my Mossberg Ultimag for bird and small game. I was using a .300 BLK AR for deer/boar but I ended up selling it after this deer season. Haven't decided what I'll replace it with.

I love all game meats, but a slow stewed rabbit in December is probably one of life's finer pleasures.

How does it feel murdering deer whom may be mother's or father's too many babies whom you've left orphaned now?

Probably not too good which is why i also kill the babies.
>pic related
Mama moose and baby moose

I'm gonna try and replace the trapdoor rifle in the coming years since it's so old (1892 production), but I'm determined to get a deer with it before then. .45-70 is really the best cartridge I can use tho, since Ohio is lame and only allows straightwalled cartridges or slugs. If that weren't the case, I'd probably get something in 30.06 or 7mm-08. Pic related is my trapdoor.

I'd like to go on one of those organized hunts one of these days. I gotta get a group big enough though, and most of my friends don't hunt.

I don't feel bad about it desu. With hunting comes a great respect for the animal, and hunting is a natural thing. Plus, the money from me buying a hunting license goes to wildlife preservation efforts, and I get a good amount of meat for me and my family. It's really a win win.

where are they leggies user

I honestly can't recommend the Marlin 1895 enough. Good solid design if you want to stick with 45-70.

also where do you live kek

Alaska? Maine?

I want to hunt but I don't really know anyone who does hunt, and I don't want to get stuck with a fudd.

That's actually what I was looking at. I definitely wanted something with the loading gate, and something I could mount a scope to. Are they and good? I know they got bought out by freedom group like remington did, so I was wondering if their quality took a hit like Remington as well.

Look at a picture of a completed moose sometime. They have long long legs thatd get in the way.

You can hunt by yourself, the safety course teaches you the basics, and you can learn the rest online these days.

Chopped em off.
Quebec.

I go spear fishing once a week depending on the tides. I'm not sure if that counts as hunting though.

I wouldn't have bought one right after acquisition, but they're fine now. I'm picking one up to go on a bear hunt up in Alaska. I used a Mosin with 203gr soft points before, but after I had a big bear get within about 10 feet of me I want to carry a few hard-cast lead pills.

are you a frenchie

Hahah. Deer have AT MOST triplets, usually a single fawn or occasionally twins.. and by the time hunting season is open they are off the tit and perfectly self sufficient. We have developed co servation strategies to protect weening fawns. It’s a non issue. Oh and until you become vegan stfu. If you are vegan, stfu even more faggot

post pic of mosin, post pic of bear please

Sweet, that'll probably be the next gun I buy then., thanks a ton.

James Bay (Eastern) Cree. The master race of Crees.

I'm unironically cooking some thinly sliced venison I shot with a bow marinated in a soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil, black pepper, a few slices of thai pepper, honey and mirin overnight. It'll be goat af.

Neat, I love diversity and your legless moose. Nice to anonymously meet you.

Mosin got sold for $400 (got it for 89.99 at a gun show back when I was 18). Don't photograph what I shoot, even though that particular bear did not in fact get shot.

Enjoy a pic of the coastal valley I was in though.

It's been way too long since I've had any venison. I really hope I have better luck next year.

Deer season is in the fall. All the little baby fawns are grown by then.

Fish hunting.

There was a nice plump pheasant sitting right in the back yard today. The dog chased him away before I could go get the bow, though. Now neither of us is getting that good gravy, stupid mutt!

I don't hunt much. I used to do a fair bit of hiking/camping and would bring a 55-lb recurve bow on those trips. More often than not we could get a pheasant or hare. Sometimes a goose.
There's no second amendment in my country but I like the bow anyway. If you get a hunting license, which involves some classes on gun safety and ethical hunting etc., you can buy firearms fairly easily actually, but storing and transporting them has a whole book of rules and it's a major hassle especially for someone without a car. It's easier with the bow.

Meat you've killed and dressed yourself after a full day of hiking will always taste a hundred times better than anything from a butcher.

I've still yet to do any bow hunting. My uncle said he might sell me his old crossbow, or I might just get my compound bow restrung and use that. it sucks because in my state (USfag here), gun season is only about a week, whereas bow season is a good 2 months or so, at least for deer.

how does marinating the bow in soy sauce help

I thought that, according to some book I read back in middle school english class, years ago, you were suppose to hunt peasants by feeding them raisins soaked in alcohol?

Deer and Elk are GOAT

I use a gun, .308 or .270

I only shot one deer this season, But it was a big doe.

This is my fav. deer jerky thus far, Out of 11 years of making jerky

jerkyholic.com/jimmys-teriyaki-deer-jerky/

F

I've heard that but never seen it done. I'd rather just drink the alcohol shoot the bird. Pheasant is pretty easy if you're quiet and patient. You can get pretty close before the freak out and fly away so it's mostly about spotting them, which can be hard enough especially with the females.

It counts. In fact, we might as well include fishing in the thread.

I'd love to try shooting fish with the bow but I haven't yet found a good spot for it and I don't really want to buy arrows/tips for it before I do.

We'd sometimes do some fishing on the hiking/camping trips I mentioned earlier. usually on day 2 and onward when we already had a camp and could take the forenoon off to sit on our asses and wait for the fish to bite. Dogfish and sometimes a nice cod most of the time.

Man, I really need to get back out there and get some smoke in my eyes again. I think my back can take it again soon.

There's a big difference between pheasants and peasants user.