If you call yourself a writer

Then why don't you live in New York City? Don't you know that it's the only City in America where writers are/can be appreciated?

>living in america
I am not a third world savage

Because I live in Los Angeles and write screenplays.

What's writing for tv like? Satisfy you? I'm pitching a pilot (my first) in LA in two weeks, I did not enjoy writing it whatsoever but a pretty big timer in Hollywood liked it.

Does it share any of the positive qualities of writing literature ?

but i do

Because only faggots that 'call themselves x' feel the impulse to rush to either of the latter day Sodom or Gomorrah. Chicago pizza is better anyways.

Too poor, can't even afford to move out of my Parent's house in the UK to a single bedroom apartment.

Everyone's poor here. Save up for a flight, find a sublet in Brooklyn, and come on over brother. Opportunity on every corner.

Because it's a police state for wealthy bankers.

Retarded. Either you've never been or your only visited midtown and the financial district

the media industry is a big shithole where everyone shits on each others. Making a big pile a shit to stand up till you can reach your goals and leaving everyone in the shit underneath you.

Where should I go then? Williamsburg is full of cunts, and Bushwick is full of losers.

Preach!

I live on the souff side of Chicago, my man. Half as expensive and a lot more dangerous, which is pretty Veeky Forums if you ask me.

>reality starts sounding like a line from Howl

BK Heights, Red Hook, Gowanis, Bed Stuy, further east in Bushwick.

Also Queens is pretty Veeky Forums in Astoria and LIC.

Is moving to new york from a comfy forest in rural scandinavia the most Veeky Forums thing you can do?

Thats very Knausgaard of you.

user, are you gay? Are u cute? Cos I've always wanted to spend some months in Nordic forest. We can cuddle and read toghter by your fireplace, user. Let me know
t. Italian qt

How did you get anyone to read what you wrote? Are you rich, jewish, or both?

Stfu with the minority scapegoating. I'm white as fuck, have 0 interesting life experiences, and have been published multiple times.

That said wrt the screenplay I met a young actress at a bar who introduced me to her agent who introduced me to a world famous screenwriter who loved my idea and asked for a script.

3/10
highly autistic
not gay

i dont think its too hard to get the permits and buy the land in the forest to make a small cozy cabin, i wish you luck qt gay user

This is precisely why New York is the greatest city for any aspiring artist.

Nah, the idea was spending some weeks in nice house rent free, go trekking, eat local food ect. And fucking with a Scandinavian dude lol

How old are you user?

nice digits friend

but yeah no thanks. cities are fucking awful. it would have been the easiest thing in the world for me to get a well-paying job in nyc but i have no interest in living somewhere that isnt /out/ friendly

why would anyone want to move to the dreary grey flatland that is america? A country founded on democracy and equal rights - it's vile.

Isn't 3/10 Beign too harsh on yourself?

no

:c

Live in Prague instead

>where you live actually mattering

You outdated faggot, it doesnt matter anymore with the internet and cheap, easy travel. People who move to cities to 'write' only care about the image and frankly couldnt give to shits about anything that doesnt further their persona sold to the other idiots.
To answer your question, NYC represents everything I despise about this country, filled with the type of people i would want to strangle every five minutes. Maybe i can try it out for a couple years

You'll move their, realize it's significance, and laugh at the years you spent resenting an inaccurate representation.

There

Bear

I have family there and have visited many times. Ill rather go back to my home city of Ramallah than step foot in that shithole one more time. 90% of the city feels like a themepark

Significant

I don't think there are opportunities for writers in spanish there
>tfw no italian qt bf

Nah moving from New York to a forest in rural Scandinavia is the most Veeky Forums thing you can do

PHOne poster

Because New York is an overpriced shithole that no solely exists to make the rich feel cultured and important.
Move to Eastern Europe.

I don't like just blond haired, blue eyed guys, user, a South American vacation bf would be cool

Alright, now how do I move there as a broke ass?

Did you go to school there or something?

He already said he lives in Los Angeles. LA also has plenty of great writers and an easier cost of living and life compared to NYC.

t. San Diegan who wishes he could become a screenwriter

Hey everyone, I don't live in New York but I like the Cum Town podcast and it makes me want to live there for some reason. Is there any way for me to move there when I don't know anybody and I have about $1k to my name?

1k probably wouldn't even cover a bus ticket and the security deposit on a 5x10 closet.

>Not listening to them Chapo boys

Mate

but America is hardly the most egalitarian country user

It sucks because I know even if I had $10k or $20k it would get blown so fast in NYC and I would probably have to return home a failure.

I lived in New York for a little less than two years. Specifically I lived in Park Slope. I wasn't able to stay because I never found meaningful employment and my parents couldn't support me any more. Also my cunt of a roommate stopped paying her half of the rent and our landlord wound up evicting us.

But it was a pretty meaningful experience for me. I wound up advancing as a writer in a way that was significant. It's probably worth doing at least for a while. Or, rather, it's probably worth living on your own in a big city of some sort for a certain length of time. It's transformative.

Where do you live now?

Dallas, Texas. I'm a native Texan so it's actually pretty nice to be back home. I'm also going to graduate school, getting a MA in English Literature. I write pretty seriously, getting some things published at various places. My goal is to be a truly great writer, and it's a goal I really settled on while living in New York. That's why I say it's a worthwhile experience to live there, even if you don't make it. It's a highly unique environment that seems to shape and alter your perspective in potent ways.

Fags get out.

How old is you user?

So you moved to NYC after undergrad? I just finished undergrad and I live at home and work a job that pays like $11 so I'm ready to try ANYTHING to escape this existence.

Live in a shed

I was 27 when I moved there. I'm 30 now. It's been kind of a whirlwind few years, when I went from writing somewhat half-heartedly and to amuse myself to having a strong urge to write in a way that fills the world with truth and beauty.

I did. I took a little break from undergrad, then went back to it and got my degree, then bummed around for a while working low-level jobs and living at home, just like you're doing now. I had a mentor figure who lives in Connecticut and works in NYC, who kept encouraging me to move up there. Then, one day, I decided I'd do it.

Not that user but I moved to NYC as a near-oldfag (25) with a few oldfag friends and quite honestly, I think it was worth the wait. NYC requires a certain level of adulthood to be fully enjoyed. I think I got the most out of it at that age, but probably would've squandered it were I 20 or 21.

New Yorkers are so far up their own ass, it's amazing that they can find their way out of their 3 x 5 apartments.

You sound like my type of person. I'm 27 living there now. Move a year ago. Just got published for the first time (twice, actually). I love it to death here but feel my experiences thus far could fuel a lifetime of memory and thought, and also that I'd have more time to take my writing seriously elsewhere.

Do you think it's wise to do an MFA or MA somewhere else outside of the city? I have high expectations for my writing condition.

I knew some people who went to NYU right after high school (from rural area in a state several hundred miles south of NY) and became total pricks almost immediately. Then I know some people I went to college with (at my home state's big public university) who moved to Brooklyn immediately after graduation and they seem like they became pricks too, though I guess they were before too. I don't know whether this is because those people were 18 and 22, respectively, and it went to their heads that they were "living where stuff happens" and people like me were losers for living where stuff doesn't happen, but I hope that if I move there in my mid to late 20s I will have the maturity not to have whatever that city did to the people I know happen to me.

It almost makes me not want to go there at all, or makes me worried that NYC just naturally attracts dickholes, and then I think well that must mean I'm a dickhole too for wanting to even be part of it.

Idk man maybe I should just live in Richmond or Raleigh or something.

Richmond would be cool. Consider Ashville, too.

Once I was sitting alone in a bar on third Ave and the bartender asked me if I was from the city, to which I replied I was not and had only recently moved. She said "welcome. Everyone here's looking for something, though they don't know what, probably never will." I said I was too, and she told me I was gonna love it here.

Don't know if that helps but in my two years here it is the most poignant and accurate description of the people here.

Maybe. It all depends on you. Everyone is different. Do you think you could handle staying in the city? Not just mentally, but financially, also?

Gosh. All these hipster normies on lit almost make me feel normal too. Guys, did you find any, like, rad spaces while you were there? Any microbrews? Man. And remember that guy Clay's parties? The ones he used to throw in that warehouse basement? Glad you're chasing the authenticity dragon in the city. Someone's gotta do it, broskis.

>being this jealous

I'm sure your flyover is just as culturally diverse, user.

Clay is accurate. A lot of Jacksons too. It's embarrassing really, all the NYC parents who thought they were unique.

I actually live in SoCal and have met my fair share of social climbing hipsters here and in San Francisco. I'm just laughing at how you are a living cliché of the suburb kid trying to make it in the city. Serious question: did you start wearing pastel-colored t-shirts while you were there? Or were you more of a plaid shirt, 2 week beard kinda guy?

Post writing sample.

I moved to NYC for 6 years and it was a damn good time

None of the above. Just going through life, trying to enjoy it. You strike me as one of those holier-than-thou snub-nosed wannabes. In fact, ironically, you sound like a prototypical new school brooklynite. Fix yourself.

>damn good time
Bro, I totally love saying this. Do you also like to say "fuck yeah?" *nods at you affirmatively with a forced smile*

How haven't you killed yourself yet? Would highly recommend it, given your condition.

Dude, just read thought catalog and vice magazine. You don't need to move to New York for culture.

*user posts a New York thread*
*all the normalfags come on here*
REEEEE GET OFF MY BONSAI KITTEN BOARD

Idk man, maybe it does seem stupid, but when you grow up in a rural area, go to a state college, and come home to that rural area and you're in your 20s and you're broke and there's no girls around except ones on heroin or ones who already have 3 kids, something like hanging out in warehouse basements and having microbrews with other twentysomethings sounds pretty appealing.

>wanting to live in NYC
Imagine being this Jewish.

Because America is producing a vast amount of art today. The best movies come from Hollywood.

>oh no, how will we ever live without hollywood

We'd be forced to wade in the absolute trash that is European film and Bollywood / Korean travesties, no thanks.

>thinking anything is better than my local pizzeria

get tf out user

Because it's scuzzy, not romantic how it was in the past, and I'm not rich.

>Implying I wanna write hippy garbage
Eww. I want to live around actual people to get experiences to write about, instead of orher writers and wannabes who have no experiences because they spend their time writing about writers and wannabes.

Los Angeles is one of the country's worst cities

It's nightmarish. People vomiting on the street, there was a shooting at a McDonald's I walked past an hour after I passed it, etc. Many people living in tents on the sidewalks. The bourgeois parts are quiet enough.

Financially probably not, mentally no question.

Dude c'mon, Los Angeles is gigantic that's a blanket statement. It has a lot of bad parts and a lot of even worse parts.

>write in a way that fills the world with truth and beauty
barf

What did you expect from someone who moved to New York for artistic purposes? Nothing but shriveled twentysomething men who think everything is beautiful and women who want to wipe their period blood on everything. Wild scene.

>the only good parts of new york are where the transplants live
kys my man

How the fuck does anyone even afford to live in NYC anymore? I don't get this concept, is every wanna be artist from an extremely rich family? Seems like you have to have a really nice job.

>2017
>geographic area matters

maybe if you're a faggot

You obviously have no clue how New York works. Silence yourself.

>2017
>Just turned 30
>Still live in Idaho with my parents

Maybe if

You

Are

A

Faggot?

This is a good first post.

>media industry is a big shithole
This is a good post too.

You might get to that point at some time user. There is something exhilarating when you actually get good at it. There will always be truckfuls if self-doubt, but when your works start to get good, writing actually becomes fun.

and that prevents you from reading and writing how? some of the best fighters in the world train on dirt floors and eat rice.

Imagine being so insecure about your place in the world that to feel better about yourself you need to start a thread on a Malaysian Thimble website about how the only real artists in the world moved to the city you chose to move to a few years ago before you realized that your lack of artistic success wasn't due to geography but was instead due to a lack of real talent.

I mean, it must be tough. I feel for you, OP, and hope things get better for you too.

I'm sure idaho boy who live with mummy has a deep pool of life experience to draw from

You're secure with your place in the world? That must be nice.

as if any 20-something actually affords to live in nyc unless parents help. or maybe they're a startup "founder" and wedged in that way. both being faggots.