Most pretentious books you have sitting in your shelf?

Most pretentious books you have sitting in your shelf?

I put pic related forward as a candidate.

probably Hawthorne by Henry James, or else the Florio translation of Montaigne.

those look like von neumann ordinals

Bloom's Western Canon.

by the by, can you post an except from whatever essay whereby this recueil received its titular genesis?

Delete this

I didnt even finished

FN is actually too pretentious to put on my shelf. I have it laying on its back on top of some other books, with the spine hidden.

Ive read two of his short story books and enjoyed, is this one really bad?

daily reminder that the list of works in the back of that book was from off the top of his head and he doesn't stand by it

This book is an absolute waste of time. I tend to enjoy grandiose treaties but this guy sounds like a straight up dingbat. Nothing he has to say makes any concrete sense. He's trying to be both logical and poetic at the same time, but it doesn't lend any authority to what he has to say. All his observations are impressionistic and wishy-washy and there are no facts or citations to make them binding.

The prince

I meant pretentious for me, its in my bookshelf in between my fantasy/scifi colection

What?

the lit way is to be a polymath and get good standardized test scores and get a full ride somewhere and major in actuarial science

What is this about?

*(((von Neumann))) ordinals

analogia entis

this man is in pain

I still haven't unpacked my books. It's been 3 years since I packed them up, and 10 months since I moved into my current and permanent living space.

I have one shelf with books on it that I have accumulated during that time. They're mostly about gardening and painting. I'm trying to work out which is the most pretentious but not having a lot of luck.

Maybe that book someone gave me about Alan Turing that I have not looked at and will get rid of at the next book fair.

It's his best work by far. He's a better novelist than he is a short story writer

I have a book by The Invisible Comittee, two Semiotext(e), a collection of articles of art journal October, a book on post-colonialism and some Bataille. I also have a bible.

I agree. Harold Bloom can eat a dick.

Malory, Le morte D'arthur

Beyond Good and Evil

nothing personal bud

does having this board bookmarked count?

Too much irony in a single post.

being and time

auto da fe is one of the weirdest novels i've ever read

These aren't just pretending, though, they are actually at a high level

Sounds like my diary desu

It's actually a manuscript for a play this dude in a sling gave my grandad.

It's entitled "the vanity of time" can you believe that shit?

this made me laugh
i'm stealing this for my novel

easy lads
not that I don't love FW

>Euclid
>pretentious

what did user mean by this?

He doesn't actually open the book, just like anyone else that owns things like that. Just another thing to show to everyone just how super smart they are.
That is what he means

Fanged Noumena is not pretentious. You just lack in philosophical acumen and intelligence to understand it, pleb.

art of the deal

do you like it? obscure existentialist thomism, right?

Tiqqun and Kekczynski

I tend to read in library, so my book collection is quite bare.
>The art of Poetry according to Aristotle
>The Bible
>An analysis on Modern Russia

I couldn't finish it. It was so frustrating.

Nice dirty drawers pleb

It doesn't have as much steam as his short fiction desu, but it's not bad by any means.

Derrida's Writing and Difference, Bottom's Dream, and the massive hardback of Plato's Complete Dialogues that I don't read cause the translations are outdated in every way. Thinking of replacing it with the Hackett one.

didn't mean to reply

wash your dirty disgusting finger nails

Society of spectacle. It's so pretentious that I've hidden it behind war and peace and TBK because I don't want anyone to see it.

Critique of Pure Reason
Of course I haven't read it

It's a good list until the Chaotic Age, then it's a decent list.

Not bad, but it's baby's first experimental novel. At least here in Latin America.

top kek. Anyone that actually studied D&G and co. will find Nick Land to be empty of any ideas. He's a pure wanker.

It's really good and enjoyable in its autism even if it retroactively seems wrong. You can justifiably dismiss it only if you've studied philosophers who were directly or indirectly reacting to it, which is pretty much everybody after him.
At least read the first quarter or half to get a sense of it.

from #ACCELERATE
"What, then, is Land's philosophy about?
In a nutshell: Deleuze and Guattari's machinic desire remorselessly
stripped of all Bergsonian vitalism, and made backwards-compatible
with Freud's death drive and Schopenhauer's Will. The Hege\ianMarxist
motor of history is then transplanted into this pulsional
nihilism: the idiotic autonomic Will no longer circulating on the spot,
but upgraded into a drive, and guided by a quasi-teleological artificial
intelligence attractor that draws terrestrial history over a series of
intensive thresholds that have no eschatological point of consummation,
and that reach empirical termination only contingently if
and when its material substrate burns out"

It's interesting if you're actually curious about Land and how he developed his ideas. Otherwise just read "Meltdown" on the internet.

either fanged noumena or this

I've got two-thirds of the meme trilogy and want IJ but haven't been able to come across it.

But really it's probably pic related

Danielewski is such a fucking fraud

>not pretentious

reflexive imagination (narcissism) General De Gaulle au point zero

my 5 different Infinite Jest editions from when I was in that phase

A lot of my shelf is pretentious, Finnegan's Wake maybe?

Gravity's Rainbow or the complete works of Joyce. Neither of which I have read (yet).