Muh crumb

>muh crumb

eat shit,crumbfags. my bread was delicious.

looks like a slop. of shit

I'm sure it was. It was still over-proved though.

Looks better than any bread I've ever made. Good job user

Boosh

It still needs crumb.

I'm hitting up a fancy spice store today, but I mostly bake, so all I really can think to get is cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves. Hit me up with some breads that need spices.

I'm no baker but get caraway seeds too

they can make delicious bread

This, use them with a rye bread.

Rye bread best bread

hey it's this thread again
haven't seen it in a while

Thanks, will do. I'll just clear out the C spices to be safe.

What does caroway taste like?

Like every rye bread youve ever had

10/10 would eat

rye doesn't have a flavor really, when you think of rye you are actually thinking of caraway

those disgusting air pockets make me want to puke

Post more homemade bread

Well at least you're aware that it has shitty crumb.

baked with spelt for the first time earlier this week. 37.5% spelt, the rest was bread flour, ~80% hydration. i tossed in some soaked flax seeds and some caraway, because caraway is delicious.

looks like a fucking sponge cake

crumb wasn't as open as i'm used to, but it tasted great.

I'm still a bit of a beginner, but I do know that adding a baking dish of water underneath your bread when you're baking it helps with crust. But, can that be done with all breads, and will you need to adjust recipes at all if the recipe you have doesn't call for it?

do you own an oven-safe dutch oven with a lid? if so, you don't need the steaming tray underneath.

if you don't have a dutch oven, then using a steaming tray is the best way to ensure you get the steam required for the best oven spring and texture of your bread. you don't need to alter the recipe in any other way, just put a cast iron skillet on a rack underneath the baking rack and throw some water or ice in when you put your dough in.

You're gluten development wasn't strong enough for the proof. The crumb should be consistent throughout, but it tore the dough in places during the proof instead of simply stretching it. Dial back your yeast/water temp or work more strength into the dough.

>you're

Fuck.

whaddup baker, can you weigh in on my spelt?

No dutch oven, but I have an old oven safe casserole dish that would be perfect. Thanks. Gonna try and make some nice, crusty rye bread tomorrow along with some meat hand pies and maybe some cheese for a fun almost medieval dinner.

to clarify, you should preheat the tray in the oven and toss ice/water into it once it's piping hot. good luck, let us know how it turns out!

Looks pretty spot on, imo. That's actually about my ideal crumb. It's open but it doesn't have big gaping holes in it that anything you try to out on the bread falls through.

I use spelt in my breads but usually only as a component of the poolish. I'm going to start doing a lot of experimental bakes here soon so I'd be interested in doing some bread with higher spelt content.

Just make sure not to get any water on the glass of your oven door if you do this. It's not completely unheard of them to shatter.

thanks, dude! the flavor was incredible. i'm 100% sourdough these days so i haven't made a poolish or biga in a while, but it's good to know the spelt would be good for that if i'm in a pinch. makes sense for getting optimal flavor without degrading the gluten % of the final dough.

yeah true should have mentioned that, just put the ice/water straight into the pan and don't splash it at all.

clarifying further, if you're using a pyrex type dish, USE BOILING OR VERY HOT WATER NOT ICE. ice might crack the dish!!!

>eats 1 1/2 loafs of bread in one sitting with jam
What the fuck am I doing with my life.

making chibatta bread for the first time. I also ordered a bread knife off of amazon! hope the bread turns out ok. I'll try and post pictures tomorrow if the thread is still alive.

Letting yourself enjoy things? I dunno, there have been days at the bakery where I've straight up eaten a two foot baguette over the course of a shift. Doesn't feel *great* but hey, sometimes you just gotta do that.

>eaten a two foot baguette over the course of a shift
That is not even close to what I have done. Holy shit, it's nap time. Actual loafs, jam, so much milk. This is not good.

If it makes you feel any better I ate 2600 calories of Domino's pizza in one sitting yesterday. Sleep it off, user. Tomorrow's a new day.

rest in peace

Here's a pic. I'll probably go to bed before cutting into this.

post a crumb shot in the morning if this thread is still up!

Couldn't resist cutting into it for a midnight snack.