BRUM

I've spend the last two years of my life creating BRUM. A bottle that lets you age your drinks like on the barrel. I've finally had the guts to put it on kickstarter! And i'm really curious what you think!

kickstarter.com/projects/830242145/brum-the-spirit-aging-bottle

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Home-Brew-Ohio-4C-I23S-FXGB-American/dp/B01BSNU6L0
wikihow.com/Age-Homemade-Wine
eater.com/drinks/2015/6/18/8805229/ask-a-somm-can-you-age-screw-cap-wine
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I do not understand

You've wasted two years of your life.

The yields would be hilariously low for the investment

did you have to burn your logo into the wood, this creates carcinogens that you end up drinking and changing the flavor.

You fill the bottle with liquor and thanks to the direct wood contact it ages the liquor like it would on the barrel only accelerated!

>accelerated

Jesus

Can’t even guess what it does to the taste

I like to age my Popov in the bath tub in my basement. I don’t see what advantage your product has over my methods. There’s nothing proprietary about it!

The bottle can be used for years though, vastly improving around 4-5 liters of liquor over a 3 year period. Maybe not perfect for commercial use but perfect for the home
The burning of the wood is an essential part of the process. It's almost impossible to find a barrel aged drink that does not come from a toasted or charred barrel

That why I was asking if you just had to do it and why? Because (((they))) do it doesn't make it right.

There is only one way to find out. But the responses from people better suited than me to judge these things have been nothing but positive. it does accerate the process but not so greatly it loses controle like with wood chips
you could use your bathtub again?

amazon.com/Home-Brew-Ohio-4C-I23S-FXGB-American/dp/B01BSNU6L0

Meme bottle; not needed

>your product
Comprehensionlet

Can't you create the same exact thing with an breathable jar and a bit of a wood in the jar?
>A mason jar with cheesecloth over the top and a split piece of toasted oak in the liquor

If you dont toast the wood the tast becomes very grassy/leafy. The sugars in the wood dont get the chance to caremalise leaving you with an awfull drink. That being said if you are interested i could make a untoasted bottle for you ofcourse! just send me a message with your pledge!

not talking about toasting the wood, im talking about the burned in logo

The difference is that my bottle allows for the angels share to evaporate through the wood. The most volatile compounds evaporate first making your drink smoother and more rounded. Just some holes in the top dont allow the liquor to selectively evaporate they just decrease the total volume

It would be like selling a burger but burning a logo into the meat, also I don't drink. Just a thought.

>Piece of toasted oak
Lrn2read

The logo on the front has no direct contact with the liquor but even if it would it would have no ill consequences as no link between cancer and barrel aged spirits has been found that is greater than the standard risk that alcohol poses. A typical american barrel has a charcoal layer of up to 2 cm thick so the charring has no ill effects that have been mesured.

It's not exactly the same but the grill stripes in a burger are quite similar and not considered dangerous. In that case you even directly consume the charred material

I try not to consume carcinogens and burned wood sounds cancerous. Also if you are taking donations from backers, I am sure they would appreciate not having a corporate logo stamped on the final product.

>The logo on the front has no direct contact with the liquor

ok then no worries

based mr. wonderful

>$34 for a bottle and a plank of wood

The burning of the wood is an absolute industry standard. I do understand and respect your desire to avoid carcinogens but i think the vast majority want a nice whiskey-like flavor. and like i said no link has been made between barrel-aged drinks and cancer over the standard risks of alcohol

i'm guessing you also get you cloths from primark and your furniture from ikea? handmade products are more costly

Is each individual bottle handmade?

I hope the industry jumps off a cliff tbqh

you are perfectly aware that this is crap and kickstarter is generally scams

Okay what if the mason jar was corked at the top then? Would that trap the volume as good as the oak and a Toasted plank of oak while allowing the angel's share to slowly leave as your product does only for 1/3rd of the cost if not less

what do you put it in?
just whatever liquor you like and it gives it the wood flavor?

kill yourself faggot

interesting but, like, what would I put in it? I don't imagine I'd put bourbon in there that's already aged . . . so is the idea to make cheap liquor taste better or something? Like would I put shitty jack daniels in there and hope it gets a little better?

Advertising is against the rules, report and move on

At the moment yes, each bottle is largely handmade. With the Kickstarter i hope further automate the process though.
So far Kickstarter hasn't let me down yet, I've backed several successful projects. even though they were almost always late they did deliver what they promised.
Cork is a much denser material which let little to no gasses through, that is why they use it as a cork.. Wood has evolved to transport liquids through its cells and veins that is why it works so well with liquor in barrels. Cork has evolved to protect the tree from the elements.

could you put beer inside?

Pretty much anything above 18% works well with the bottle. Ports for example can also be very nice. It also makes your drinks smoother and removes a portion of the burn.
In the beginning it works well with white spirits or fortified whines. after roughly 9 months a portion of the flavor in the oak has gone allowing you to let like you said bourbons age and become more mellow without overpowering the flavor

i'm afraid not, The bottle cant handle much more than .2 bar above the ambient pressure. I'm planning to do some experiments with royal stouts though!

Dude this is so meme. I hope you can sell some and make some money off your idea, but it is so super meme. I'm a professional brewer and have a fair bit of experience with barrel ageing.

Are refills possible with this thing?

>Anything above 18% works well
The bottle says 40%, I'll sue your ass for false advertising.

This is the closest facsimile to a barrel that is also practical to use at home that I have seen so far. I understand it's not practical for commercial use (except for perhaps bars and cocktail shakers) but why do you think it would not work at home?
Certainly! it's advised even. If your first fill is a nice port for example the taste also draws into the wood giving you that port cask taste

It is sold empty... so it's more of an advice... but most of all, I don't live in America so good luck haha

Yeah I'd try it.

>What is the Hague?
Get fukt frenchy.

>45 responses
>17 posters
I bet you would.

I think it would work at home. The reason why it is so meme is because you are hand 'crafting' (the word craft is a red flag for advertising wank) a relatively expensive and labour intensive item for an aesthetic benefit which performs a relatively easy to replicate function. The first fill is cool, the second, yeah ok, past that point barrels are considered spent for spirit making. Your unique selling point (evaporation through the grain) is a marginal benefit in reducing higher alcohols in a quality product anyway, so you are left with a nice looking fathers day present with negligible real world value.

The world of premium spirits/branding is pretty much steeped in tradition and process defining difference. Not many people are going to fuck around with infusing a high end spirit. Not many people have access to a low end spirit and the will to fuck around with it. Oak chips are cheaper, offer a larger surface area, can be thrown away guilt free and evaporation/absorption can be achieved through other means.

You do know that the vast majority of wines are aged in corked bottles, cork does let gasses through
wikihow.com/Age-Homemade-Wine

Homemade wine isn't aged in casks if it we're you wouldn't have any business it is aged in corked bottles. As most wines are, only some specific types of wine are aged in barrels.
Try doing some research into the field of your product before going to Kickstarter
>t.somiler

I'm happy to hear that!
That is a valid point you are making, I don't agree with all your points but I do appreciate your candor on the matter.
The cork is not necessary though and it ads a risk of "corking" eater.com/drinks/2015/6/18/8805229/ask-a-somm-can-you-age-screw-cap-wine

well i wouldnt use it but i like that you came to this siamese shadowplay forum to defend your product, good luck with your kikestarter op

Only 3% of all aged wines are ever actually corked it is practically negligible for someone to worry about it.
And the link you provided is interesting to the discussion as we are talking about corks breathing, but according to the link you posted screw tops can breathe as well as corks so you can age the liquor in a regular bottle you buy it in but with toasted oak chips, eliminating the usefulness of your own product. Since it is even less cost to do so.

The point the link makes I think is that the aging of wine does not require breathing as much as it does with liquors. If the cork has so little effect on the wine that an airtight screwtop also works. A cork won't work in this context
I do like a bit of a challenge!

That's what oak chips are for. They're cheap and you can just throw them in a normal jug and have the same effect as an actual barrel, only quicker.

Only people who don't shine would buy your bullshit gimmick.

Also apologies for being rude and shitting on your dream.

You know they make small barrels between 1.5 and 5 litres just for people who want to do this... they are roughly the same price as your bottle.

I do not think this is a viable product.

People can put in small piece of wood in the bottle for the same effect, only it's not a new product and people have been putting shit in bottles with alcohol for ages.