Where do I move?

Where in America (other than shitty meme cities like LA and NYC) should I move for purposes of pursuing my writing?

I want a community with some artistic tendencies, like austin before it was shit.

I don't want to live in some shithole like Detroit or Cleveland either. Even though it's cheap there is nothing productive or inspiring happening there.

My initial thoughts are:
>Ashville, NC
>Baltimore, MD
>Annapolis, MD
>Eugene, OR
>Yellow Springs, OH

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=19IhGt5HLhI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Idaho

Interesting. In my first novel the Potato is used as an extended metaphor

>new orleans, LA
>providence, RI
>portland, ME

Fayetteville, AR
Norman, OK

Are you planning on having a job while writing?

Yeah but part time like at a library or making hot cakes for locals

this. also:
>burlington, vt
>montpelier, vt
>concord, nh
>peterborough, nh
>block island during winter

I've heard decent things about Boise and Ames. Ashville would probably be my first choice, though.

>Annapolis, MD
You're on the right track OP. I'd stay out of Baltimore, unless you want to write gritty crime novels. Though maybe you can find the Diner/sock hop/greaser vibe somewhere in the city hiding with the ghosts of white people.

Check zillow or whatever around Chestertown, MD. It's a nice small liberal arts college community. No doubt this would stifle you if you stayed too long, but it seems to fit the quaint image you're going for.

For myself I'm trying to get a job in DC. I need to live in a city where the vital energy of the young and perspective of the old is moved through a rail system, and NYC is a shithole.

Burlington, VT
Lancaster, PA
Boise, ID

You don’t have to move anywhere to become a writer.

>Baltimore, MD
>Not a shithole

Sonoma county

Richmond, Virginia but only if you live in The Fan or Museum districts.

It's an old city with plenty of history and the two neighborhoods I mentioned are absolutely beautiful and have a semi-urban feeling while also still being peaceful, neighborhood-y, and relatively quiet. There are tons of quaint bars with eccentric regulars and local restaurants within walking distance as well as a very nice free art museum and Carytown which has a lot of interesting boutiques and antique/vintage stores.

I'm not a writer but I am a professional musician and I think it's an inspiring spot to live. Almost every night I go on hour or hour and a half walks around my beautiful neighborhood and it's a great way to just think and be alone with your thoughts.

Plus it's fairly close to other historic and potentially interesting cities- DC, Baltimore, Philly, NY. They may be meme cities but definitely fun to visit for a couple days.

Pic related. A picture of The Fan from 1963. I just walked by where it was taken a few days ago and it's almost exactly the same except for the cars and the paint colors of the houses.

False.

Honestly mate, you've sold me. I'll be moving tomorrow.

Charlottesville sc

I can see you're being facetious but seriously The Fan has to be one of the /comfy/est places to live in America.

I'm not moving tomorrow but I'm going to visit and strongly consider it. Hadn't even crossed my mind. Your post + some googling is blowing my mind.

My friends all moved to Richmond. Its kind of a glorified shithole. unless youre into the music scene or have a reason to move there because of work, dont bother. it is not "relatively close" to those cities. its at least 3 and half hours to DC alone (which is the closest one). also youre surrounded by conservative fuckheads for miles around (outside of Richmond) and cops are the most retarded backward pieces of shit you can imagine in Virginia.

OP i would suggest Montgomery County, MD. its got everything youre looking for. its borders DC, there are about 6 towns that are a decent sized, and every place has some historical significance or another. There are art scenes everywhere and the colleges and community centers offer fairly cheap classes on art/writing/music and throw showcase nights. people are easy to talk to and no one is going to fuck with you. there are an infinite amount of places to hike and explore and youre surrounded by forests. if the scene there ever gets boring for you, well pop on down to DC and get into a scene there, the metro red line basically goes through the entire Montgomery County area and connects you to DC. Baltimore is a bit of a move, but its around a 45-60 min drive (not my scene, but its a fun city to do a daytrip or party at). weed is about to be legal, theyre about to add an extra metro line, also police and people are pretty tolerable (unless you drive drunk, then youre fucked). Bar scenes are dope across the whole county. honestly you have to be a retard to not be able to get laid and find friends there.

Fuck silver spring tho

NO and Portland (ME) are true artisan cities

i live in dc. RVA is 90 min away. richmond is a decent/okay place if you don't know people who grew up there, but like another poster mentioned providence, it is a whole other city if you grew up there or chill with kids who are from there (it's awesome.) as an aside which i think says more about dc being gay than anything: when bands come up the east coast, many skip over dc from RVA to bmore.

>Richmond is a shithole, and cops are rayciss
>suggests MoCo

Just... just ignore this person OP.

>not living in poverty in Bodymore and writing a masterpiece that makes The Wire look like fan fiction

what kind of music do you listen to? DC has a pretty good music turn out, but baltimore is far more suited for a large concert than DC (theyre sister cities though i go to baltimore for shows all the time its not a big deal), most venues in DC are basically clubs with a soundstage.

I drive to D.C. all the time and it's never taken me more than 2 and a half hours, usually under 2. As long as you're not hitting the outskirts of D.C. between 7-10 AM or 4-7 PM it's fine. You're dumb if you drive into D.C. anyway. From Richmond you drive to Franconia and take the metro in.

Richmond definitely has some shitty areas but what city doesn't? Everything to do with VCU is pretty much a shit show too. If you live in The Fan you hardly ever have to even leave he neighborhood.

honestly i would like to live in bmore if it was cheap enough. fells point is dope. i would have to basically own nothing, however, to be comfortable. pads of paper, pen, and BLT materials in the fridge. no books, no gun, no tv, no computer. it's the only way to not worry about losing things anytime you leave the house.

im white i dont give a shit if theyre rayciss. theyre just dicks that will pull you over for nothing and try everything to fuck you over. I never have problems with cops in Moco.

Carytown is kind of gross but some of the shops are kind of cool. I wouldn't want to live too close to it but it's cool to live in walking distance since it's got sort of the feel of a cool Brooklyn neighborhood or the East Village, and sometimes I'm in the mood for that.

Lancaster fucking sucks

this thread is fedora, cringe, and delusion

Salem, OR

Baltimore, Savannah, Wilmington, Norfolk. Voila!

Good luck getting a library job without being an old woman with previous government and military service.

What about Houston?

Cumberland county is neat. 8/10

Why not Cleveland? You could write some good post-apocalyptic stories or maybe crime dramas about police brutality.

>everywhere and everything sucks. Enthusiasm about anything is naïveté.

Kys you cornfed suburbanite mongoloid

I lived in Richmond for about 3 years back around 2010 and can confirm it's comfy as fuck. I lived in museum district but the fan is better.

Blacks and Mexicans.

It's an okay town, but the highways are a fucking mess and the city is surrounded by suburban hell.

Moved to Houston a year ago and enjoy it. Solid museums, plenty to do, generally good natured people. The food scene here is amazing too, if you're into that.
Only downside is a lot of driving and suburbanites. Otherwise, it's a good place to be rn. Very underrated in terms of its culture and arts scene.

Denton, TX

Eugene is a fucking shithole not sure about the others.

you could move to a proper country. does the U.S. have passports yet?

St.John's, Newfoundland

>Oldest European-settled city in the Americas
>Less than 200,000 people as I recall, so it's a city but not obnoxiously so
>Sea port city, beautiful view of the Atlantic
>Newfie culture has a lot of drinking, in fact possibly the most favourite street in St.John's is George Street which is literally nothing but bars or restaurants that also serve alcohol
>Unique local traditions such as getting 'screeched in' to become an 'honourary Newfoundlander' as well as unique lingo that's quite different from the rest of Canada or North America
>Lots of writing groups
>Various historical sites
>On the same island as Lans aux Meadows which is where Vikings landed on Newfoundland around 1000AD
>There's also a town not far off all called Dildo. Yes, there is a town called Dildo, Newfoundland.

>tfw IF I MOVE TO PARIS WILL I BECOME AUDREY HEPBURN ?

ffs lmao wtf ew idiots *shudder* *facepalm* no

Meat Cove - Cape Breton

Must say. Cleveland's cute, and cheap. Visited there for the first time last summer about 5 days and had a great time. Weird highlight of hanging out reading on that teeny slip of land (beneath those bridges) dubbed Hart Crane park!

don't dox ur mom like that

Richmond! Move to Norfolk and get a place in or near Ghent. Fish, learn to sail and scuba- plenty of fog and seagulls. Far better town.

Lawrence Kansas
Do some research

Yall some redneck incestuous hillbillies

with poor ass taste.

Lately I've been giving some thought to Nashville/Memphis. Anyone live there?

Boston, because I watched Cheers once.

t. non-American

Texas is full of women and willies
Eyes too close, filthy hillbillies
Who are these people, raised in barns
Ghouls and fools, sex on farms
Texas hoedown, this is the lowdown
You're full of shit, destined to go down

Beers, steers and queers

Boston, because I played Fallout 4 once.

Seriously, I moved to the DC area because of Fallout 3. Considering moving to Nevada because of New Vegas.

>Annapolis, MD
In no way is Annapolis cheap.

Hickok45!

youtube.com/watch?v=19IhGt5HLhI

Pittsburgh is the only choice for you, user

>I live in the suburbs and never leave.

>Ann Arbor, Mi
>Iowa City. Ia.
>Ames, Ia.
>Key West (or any one of the keys)
>Charleston or Savannah for the gothic south flair
>Montreal is pretty cool

>Ann Arbor, Mi
>Key West
Can confirm.

no

Why not?

Nola is overrun with idiotic IT hipsters who call themselves "creatives." Look up how many places are calling it the new Brooklyn. It's already dead.

there are a lot of them, but its not as bad as other places yet. way too many faggots from new yorker and LA though

Is this real or are you fucking with me?

lol yellow springs doesn't really qualify as a city compared to the others you've posted

Seriously had a good time there. Basically hung out in Little Ohio and up and down Euclid Ave. Lot of pretty girls, too.

>burlington VT.

If you want to spiritually die with all the normie hipsters, old gross yuppies, muslims, jamacians.

Vermont is generally a bad idea unless you are rich, or retired. There aren't any jobs everybody in burlington is a pile of liberal hipster trash. You would have better luck in upstate NY or something.

I live in Denver CO and it's alright

DUDE

If hipsters are your biggest complaint about an area, it must not be that bad.

WEED LMAO

There's nothing redeeming about Arkansas

Fuck all this America shit. How the fuck does one move to Dondon or some other European country. I will learn the language. I don't care if I get blown up by Muslims.

The Hudson Valley or Philly. I live in NYC now but I would love to move to some place like Beacon.

Fayetteville +1

Nashville used to be nice but it's getting expensive, going the way of Austin. Memphis, I got pulled over and almost killed by the police within 15 minutes the first time I went there. Other than that it seemed fairly nice in the parts I went to.

Come to Rome we have good pasta.

not even the hotass French girls with strong German genes and little red mustaches on their lip? or the supercheap land? or the natural beauty? come on user.