Knives Set

I have been cooking with shitty table knives for as long as I can remember, recently bought a german knife from amazon and it was so much better. I want a decent knives set that will last me, any suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Wusthof-Gourmet-Spear-Point-Paring/dp/B0000DJYE5/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1518128338&sr=8-6&keywords=pairing knife wusthof
amazon.com/Wüsthof-Piece-Paring-Knife-Cooks/dp/B00CBFDFVS/ref=sr_1_10?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1518128543&sr=1-10&keywords=Wusthof chef
amazon.com/dp/B003TWNZ08/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1BRBSKV5RAH9S&colid=2Z7P626XQZG2B&psc=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

price range?

>Set
You already have a knife
What more do you want?

as long as its not above $200, I want something that I could use for years no problem

Get a Wusthof 6" chef's knife and a 3" paring knife... you don't need high end utility knives like a bread knife or boning knife

Wusthof is what everyone uses when it comes to quality. The Classic line is best for the price:quality ratio. The Ikon line is a bit pricier but has ergonomic handles that feel better in the hand.

You dont need a set, all you're ever going to use is a Chefs, pairing, and a serrated bread knife. Maybe a steak knife if you want to use one while eating.

This one? amazon.com/Wusthof-Gourmet-Spear-Point-Paring/dp/B0000DJYE5/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1518128338&sr=8-6&keywords=pairing knife wusthof
Also the knife I bought before is a 9" Classic IKON, should I also buy the 6" one?

amazon.com/Wüsthof-Piece-Paring-Knife-Cooks/dp/B00CBFDFVS/ref=sr_1_10?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1518128543&sr=1-10&keywords=Wusthof chef
I found this set, is this one okay?

Considering this one, any comments?

Sets are useless, get a primary 8-10" Gyuto/Santoku or chef knife.

Anything else you need buy as needed.

I see nothing wrong with it desu. Get a whetstone to keep them sharp

>i need to sharpen them?

Yep. Every couple weeks or so. Takes five minutes to do it.

>whetstone
amazon.com/dp/B003TWNZ08/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1BRBSKV5RAH9S&colid=2Z7P626XQZG2B&psc=1
Can I use this? Or just buy a whetstone?

those are piss poor compared to a whetstone if being used by someone competent anyway.

The whetstone takes longer and has a bit of a learning curve. But the end results are far better.

I heard you also have to mantain the whetstone, should I buy something else for maintenance?

Lapping plates are used to keep a level face on your whetstone. Though unless you're sharpening a LOT of knives it will take some time before it's really needed. For someone sharpening one or two knives every 3-6 months you probably wont even need to worry about it for a year or more.

I honestly don't understand how an established, respected company like wusthof can produce some shit like that. It's completely worthless in every way. Not even my mom liked it lmao

If you don't have one, you should also get a cutting board. Memester's will demand you get a wood board but it wont make a huge difference desu. Just as long as your knives aren't hitting your countertop.

>I want a decent knife set for less than $200
You need a chef's knife, a paring knife, and a way of sharpening them.

Let me know how it goes with the gaming laptop.

>a 9" Classic IKON
excellent choice user. I got to handle one recently, a bit tailheavy for my taste when working with a pinch grip but still an excellent knife.
>should I also buy the 6" one
a petty knife is only useful if you do a lot of work where you dont touch the cutting board, like decorating/garnishing stuff. It has zero knuckle clearance for boardwork.

>Sets are useless
Thus, matching knife sets are a sure sign of a noob cook. different sized knives for different purposes also need differently sized and shaped handles. They literally CANT match.

>amazon.com/dp/B003TWNZ08/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1BRBSKV5RAH9S&colid=2Z7P626XQZG2B&psc=1
Those pull through sharpeners are shit. They eat up the steel and also ruin the profile of the edge. Just get a decent whetstone, watch some youtube vids on sharpening and practice with a $20 IKEA knife.