Roast Chicken

How do you roast yours? Here is my way (adapted from a few Serious Eats recipes)

Step 1:
>Spatchcock the chicken (remove its spine, lay flat and press on the breast until it sits flat)
>Tuck the "nubbins" under the wings

Truss after adding rosemary and shallots to the cavity. Rub with olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt. About 45 minutes at 400F.

season the skin, stuff pads of butter under the skin, place half an onion in the cavity, and then spritz the skin with fresh orange juice.

place in pan with half inch of vegetable stock.

Do you guys eat the Parsons nose?

I forgot I made this thread lmao

Step 2:

>mix 1.5tsp salt, 1tsp pepper, 1tsp baking powder, and 1tsp of herbs
>rub 1tbsp oil over the chicken and rub the herb mixture on

yes. OP if you're actually doing this post some more pictures!

Also fuck yeah I love me a spatchcocked bird

Step 3:

>Preheat your oven to 500F and place bird on a wire rack lined baking sheet legs facing the back of the oven on the upper middle rack - roast for 20-40 mins depending on the size of the bird.

Blue Power chicken, niggers!!

gross looking factory bird

>500F

Step 4:

>Cook until legs are 175F and breast is 155F.
>The FDA says 165F is when chicken is cooked but ill link an image of pasteurization time for chicken next.
>If the chicken starts browning too fast turn down the heat to 450F

Sure do! Trussers btfo spatchcock fags.

The trick is hot and fast, it doesn't give the bird time to dry out. This bird took exactly 30 mins at 500F.

As you can see, a bird only needs to stay at 155F for 45 seconds to pasteurize - something that carry over cooking will more than take care of. This way you are guaranteed not to overcook your bird and will get moister chicken.

Step 5:

>Plate it up on a tiny plate with huge stalks of broccoli for some reason.

The chicken is tender, juicy and the baking powder helps make the skin extra crispy.

I love roast chicken

that chicken looks fucking good man

btw seriouseats made a pretty good video on roast broccoli too

tastiest part of the chicken tbqh famalam

Fuck yes, tasty, crunchy, crisp and its been sitting in that juice because my oven is too small for anything but a baking sheet.

How did it taste

Does it have a gland in there?

No, it's just a fatty nub of chicken.
It's delicious.

didn't know that! ill check it out

>olive oil
>salt
>pepper
>onion, lemon, rosemary, and thyme in the cavity
>roast for like an hour and a half at 375
wa la

wtf I want to fuck chickens now