Tell me everything you know about making komucha

*kombucha

No.

>have diarrhea
>scoop into jar
there ya go.

gives you cancer

fad for soys and soccer moms
need a gluten free beer brand recommendation too?

what fruit juices do you recommend for the second fermentation

kombucha is a symbiotic yeast/fungus colony

the large colony is called a "Scoby" (Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast)

You can order a dehydrated scoby and rehydrate it, or you can form your own using an old batch of kombucha.

The scoby eats sugar, don't feed it honey or agave, its not a human, it likes sugar. I have heard it can only feed from the Camellia sinensis (the tea plant) but also have heard success from keen fermenters using hibiscus tea.

Either way, once you have a scoby (you can buy a raw original flavor kombucha and pour it into a bowl, cover it and let it sit room temp for a week or so. A large new scoby will form on the top. Transfer this to a new batch of brewed tea to begin the fermentation.

The scoby processes the sugar and tea, and creates more bacteria and gasses.

Brew the tea according to tea directions, add 1/2 sugar for ever Litre of tea. I make 4 litre batches, with 2 cups of sugar. The tea will taste very sweet (too sweet) and that's good, the scoby will eat the sugar.

After the sweetened tea(green or black) has cooled to room temp, add a cup of the old kombucha liquid and place your scoby on the top. Cover with a cheesecloth or towel so nothing can get in.

Let the kombucha ferment in a warm, dark place, a new layer of scoby will be added to the top, yeast strands will start to grow, check in on your kombucha drink around day 5, test the sweetness and when it gets to a taste you like, you can bottle it up.

while bottling you can add a few tablespoons of extra sugar and/or a flavoring like fruit or juice. If you want a bubbly kombucha, you will need to add some more food for the kombucha and seal the bottle, so that the bacteria produces gas and the gas builds up. Check in on them so the pressure doesn't make them explode, and test one out. When you are happy with the batch, you can store them sealed in a fridge.

it's a fad and most everything you will hear or read is bullshit.

Raspberry lemon ginger turmeric is goat flavor
Mango is good
Carrot works surprisingly well
You want to balance the flavors you put in so you can taste everything
Mess around with herbs too, basil, mint and lavender can all make good flavors

hey, it's marinated blinis thread

*konosuba

Except the active cultures, which is supported by scientific research. Though they are present in yoghurt, sauerkraut, etc, so it's a fad otherwise.

So how drunk does this shit get you?

It doesn't. It is kvass tier.

awesome and informative post

I saw some bottle stuff on sale for $2 down from $8 so I bought it. Tasted like shit. Why would I want to drink this instead of just drinking tea?

not very but some depending on your brew.

The bottom of the jar that the kombucha brews in will start to fill with sediment, this is the yeast.

When you brew your new batch of tea and add in the remaining old cup of kombucha, you control the yeasty taste by how much of the sediment you start your new batch off with.

So skim from the top if you don't like yeasty tastes.

Also if you're worried about alcohol content you can test it with the same kit as for wine or beer making

If it doesn't get you fucked up what's the point?

I got drunk off of kvass when I was 7 years old and visiting Russia.

Kombucha beer is delicious and it doesnt give you shitty bloat no matter how much you drink
Downside is its expensive as fuck

idk i think it's pretty good personally, There are a lot of shit flavors and brands though. Like this one called "savory peach" which is peach and thyme.

Disgusting

is kombucha less annoying to keep than kefir?
is it fine to touch it with your hands like in the op's pic?

damn, probably the best "in a nutshell" post ive seen

Its weird jellyfish tea for hipster health freaks. That's all I know

Is GT's kombucha pleb tier?

i like kombucha more than making kefir because dairy on the countertop (even if its yogurt or kefir) still makes me feel iffy, and if my kefir grains are not good, then my milk goes bad

Considering only two or three of the flavours are good, I'd say so. KeVita is better. I don't think I've had anything from them that I didn't like.

idk about the taste, but original raw GT kombucha is a great starter to form a scoby mother for homemade batches