Growing Your Own Food

Anyone have any tips or resources for somebody who wants to start their own vegetable garden? I want to grow tomatoes, potatoes and cucumbers to start with, maybe expand into growing lettuce and herbs.

I'm sure I could Google how to grow these and get plenty of info, I just thought I'd ask you guys for help because I'm sure someone here will have some quality, yet potentially hard to find info on how to start a vegetable garden.

t. Amerifag who lives in the Pacific Northwest.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O8Ja4u8_RGQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

the frog¿

First off find your zone (Google it). This will be the only skilled knowledge you will need to decode the information on seed packets. You will want to plant your specific crop at different times of the year according to your zone, eg, you should plant in february in arizona, but wait until march in washington. Some plants will be specific to your area, but basic herbs and veggies should be ok basically anywhere that isn't ass-frozen or swelteringly hot.

To have a higher chance of your plant not dying, start it indoors. Use an egg carton, some tiny pots, or any small container with drainage holes and fill them with either potting soil, or a soilless medium. soiless mediums include peat moss (sphagnum moss), coconut fibers, perlite, or even a wet paper towel folded over. They have no nutrients in them, the high amounts of which are good for adult plants but might burn the roots of baby plants. If you're growing herbs or squash, I wouldn't worry about it, and just use potting soil. If you're growing delicate roses or weed I would be more careful.

Plant two(2) seeds in each container. Mist them with a spray bottle twice a day to keep them moist. You can pour water on them but they have tiny, delicate stems which can easily stick to a puddle of water and get drug under the surface of the soil, and have no root system to keep them anchored when the soil floats to the top of the water, which it will, because your tiny pot will not hold onto water for very long. Keep them WARM and SLIGHTLY MOIST and your seeds should germinate in anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks, heavily depending on your plant.

After 2 weeks of growth (earlier if they are about to outgrow their pot) cut down the smaller seedling entirely. It lost.

Potting soil should have enough nutrients for healthy growth for the entire life of your plant. If you want to miracleGro it, toss your food scraps (no meat or fat tho) in a container with some airflow, preferably outside (rotting food).

Take it to these threads where it belongs:

Tomatoes and cucumbers are basically weeds. If you can't grow them then just quit. For starters but a small raised bed kit, ten bags of soil, two of peat, and maybe one of small gravel. Dump it in and mix it up. Then get some started plants and plant them in late May.

Pretty simple. Get some cages for the tomatoes. I find small breeds like cherry and grape are really easy to grow. Have also had luck with Roma's which are fucking awesome for sauces or bruschetta.

Take off you're skullcap and stop being a faggot.

When your compost pile gets too stinky, toss some dry leaves, those sphagnum moss pellets, or some brown paper bag in there to up the fiber content vs the nutrient content. The whole thing smells better if you put some worms in. Toss the pile once every month or so. Add a tablespoon of the juice to a gallon of water, or if you have a big enough space, toss that shit on the soil.

About the soil around your plant. There's complex root systems and rhizomes in there. Don't fuck with it. You will need to use a MULCH, fiber like wood chips, dead leaves, actual food-safe mulch some guy invented for that specific purpose, or a weed barrier (sheet of plastic you cut Xs in for your plant to stick out). If one of your plants has dry leaves, toss that shit on the mulch, or use it in your compost. Just lay a carpet of that shit around your plant like a tree skirt at christmas. This will keep your moisture from evaporating, and discourage any weeds from growing near your plant. If you have a potted plant, I have never used mulch, it's pampered enough as it is. But you can.

Weed often.

Herbs, you can grow in a container. Tomatoes may do better in the ground but are ok in large containers. Squash (zuchinni, pumpkins) need to go in the ground. Sunflowers (real, pretty ones) can go in a large pot. Mammoth varieties go in the ground. Potatoes go in the ground, or in potato bags or trash cans. Garlic can go in pots, shallots can too, but onions go in the ground. Raspberries and strawberries require a lot of space, but don't go too deep. Carrots can go in a wide container as well.
When I say "in the ground" a tall, large planter box will do. But that's not really a container.

That's all off the top of my head. What kind of plants do you want to grow?

Once you stop being a faggot then you might be able to do something for yourself.

He'll never answer you, he's a faggot that expects stuff like a special snowflake.

>Weed often

Move down south where land is cheap and we have three growing seasons, buy your property, get lynched immediately because you're a flaming faggot from the PNW, and your decomposing body will grow enough veg for a family of 4.

LOL 420 WEED DUDE!
youtube.com/watch?v=O8Ja4u8_RGQ

There's nothing to it. Pick the spot you want to grow shit and then either buy the seeds (super cheap but unreliable) or buy some baby plants (more expensive but very reliable) and stick them in the ground. Now keep the plants watered. The end.

If this is something you do every year though, you're bound to have a mess of these faggots annually raising their young right by your garden. They can be real ball busters so box up the babies (resist all urges to keep them) and dump them on a nearby field.

Maybe there's nothing to do it becuase you've been doing it for a long time. How many times did you fail before it became simple?

plants will grow even if no one tends to them. Some will even spread like cancer. You spend so much time living in the modern world where everything's man-made that you forget that the gods were pretty good at what they did too.

Grow papaya trees. Dude. Grow papaya trees. They fruit within a fucking year, they yield HUGE fruits. They don't require a lot of watering. They don't take a lot of space. They are very nutritious fruits. Don't like the flavor? Well, fuck you then. Grow papaya and eat papaya anyway.

On a more serious note... I grew some big, strong papaya trees from seed a few years ago and still have them. They grow insanely fast, and they produce BIG fruit within less than a year. That is very unusual when you look at what fruit trees usually do. I eat their fruit a lot and it is great for your body.

Oh... but if you're not in a tropical climate, then this might not be your option of fruit tree. Check into that, but I didn't have to worry about it because papaya just flourishes here where I am in a warm climate.

>you're
wew fuckin christ

plant watermelons and make liqour from the juice. Sell it for like a thousand dollars a bottle

Those are really good. My grandad who lived in Florida had some trees on his property and used to send the papyas to me. They were damn good but I couldn't finish them before I'd get another box full. I miss those times now that he's dead.

It's weird, when young one thinks folk will live forever and it just doesn't work that way.

Speak for yourself chump boi with the skullcap.

What do you expect from a /pol/ poster

>buy seeds
>plant them
>fertilize, water and weed them
>get veges