I can't cook and want to eat healthier/cheaper

I can't cook and want to eat healthier/cheaper

Is sous vide the way for me or is it just a meme?

If you can't boil an egg then you shouldn't boil meat.

You can't cook and you want to sous vide? Why?

Learn the basics. Vegetables like onions, carrots, celery, garlic, kale, collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, scallions, etc etc etc etc are all cheap as shit and hard to mess up. Most fruits can be eaten raw if you can't figure out a way to incorporate them into a recipe. Soups and stews are fuck-easy; and most areas have a decent bakery with real bread somewhere. Searing meat is a no-brainer, finish it in the oven if it's poultry, just buy a 4 USD mechanical thermometer anywhere and cook until 155 against the bone (165 is excessive despite recommendation, and any pink you see is likely fluid leaking from the fractured bone, not blood, and may not disappear until a dry-ass 190F).

I can boil an egg.
I don't want to eat boiled eggs everyday

My main problem is time. I wanted to get home and have a nice fresh warm meal waiting.
I juggle with guitar playing, house cleaning, exercising, book reading, podcast recording/editing, gardening and dog walking everyday.

Will a sous vide help a person like me? What are the downsides?

So scramble them. Duh.

Sounds like you need a good husband to take care of you. Hi.

Ok, son, here's your (You)

There are plenty of quickly prepared meals. And you can prep in advance, wrapping ingredients in the fridge or freezer so all you have to do is cook them. Cooking for one person isn't that time consuming if you don't make it so.

I understand you really want me to cook. Ok.

Why is that? What is so shitty about the sous vide?

Nothing shitty about it but it's not going to help you because you'll still need to put time into preparing meals. I think you want a slow cooker so you can dump a full meal into it and set it to have it ready at a specific time.
But really, seems like you mind is already made up and you just wanted someone to say "yes that's a great idea go and buy your thing!".
So.
Yes that's a great idea go and buy your thing!

Thanx. Can I get another?

Isn't the meal preparation effort the same on a slow cooker and sous vide?

I haven't made up my mundo, but so far your point was "lol, git gud, cooking is easy u scrub" instead of discussing pros and cons

con = it makes you gay
pro = cum doesn't taste so bad

no one ever actually uses sous vide or slow cookers the way they're advertised on a regular basis. both require a level of forward planning you can't expect from busy people, one makes the house smell, and both require effort at the end in any case because what you'll get is slimy and unappealing if you don't do a couple of extra steps.

fundamentally slow cookers make stew and sous vide poaches things. sous vide cannot generally be used to cook both meat and vegetables at the same time. sous vide meat is not generally pleasant unless you do a post sear and reduce down the juices in the bag. many meats will go mushy from sustained cooking in the sous vide machine.

now - there is one way i think sous vide might actually benefit a busy lifestyle. you can buy meat and fish vacuum packed or do it yourself, then put it in the fridge. do some research and pick things which cook in a short span of time - most fish, chicken breast, tenderloin and other steak cuts - and slip them in right away when you come home from work. you can then simply prepare some vegetables on the stove or oven or in the microwave. that still makes for an hour or so's worth of waiting from when you get home, but it is actually realistic.

>I do normal every day things that any functional adult does

You can take and extra 20-40 minutes a day to cook a good meal.

No, it's not at all a meme. It's a new cooking method. When you've become adept or even merely competent at baking, roasting, sauteing, braising, steaming, poaching, frying, grilling, and broiling, you likely want to keep going.
And for those of us who have spent years perfecting our prowess in the aforementioned methods, sous vide is the next logical step. It may be the last frontier in my lifetime.

Now, if I could just get my hands on some horsemeat.

>specific time. You keep associating sous vide with crock pots. With sous vide you can leave that shit in for days and it's fine.

If you've really mastered all those things, you need a second hobby.

>baking, roasting, sauteing, braising, steaming, poaching, frying, grilling, and broiling
>spent years perfecting our prowess in the aforementioned methods
meanwhile some dude in japan makes a shitload of money selling raw fish

Shh, you'll break the self-delusion of billions.

What do you mean meanwhile? Isn't Jiro dead?

Yeah, but on the plus side he only manages to fence it to idiots like Jackman, so it works out well.

Jackman's Hollywood studio payed for that dinner meeting.

It's the Jap taking from the Jews.

What's PT Barnum doing with the Dali Lama?

Even better, but please learn to spell.

Fuck me it took me four reads to see where I went wrong. It's getting late and it's been a long day.

>paid