-- Sous Vide Thread --

Just came in the mail today. I got some pork country ribs rubbed down and I'm going to fire it up.
Some of you must have one, so Sous Vide General.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d3d4Mlk8O9g
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

And I fucked up and didn't get a vacuum sealer first, so I guess I'm trying the Ziploc route. I read that it works.

I'm interested in watching this process

Sounds like you're winging it. Good luck.

This looks like a suitable pot. Moving right along!

>pork ribs
>requiring some $200 meme device to cook

Put it in the fucking crockpot for 3 hours and kys, why are you on this board if you can't cook food

>>pork ribs
Hey, guess what?
Country ribs aren't ribs!
stay mad, aussie

There's going to be a bit of gassing that will raise the bags a bit.
You can weigh them down with plates or whatnot.

>someone's obviously smarter than me
>they must be Australian
I like the way you think.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in culinary arts, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret episodes of Masterchef, and I have over 300 folded santoku knives. I am trained in cooking meat and I’m the top sous chef in the entire US . You are nothing to me but just another redditor. I will fillet you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before in your kitchen, mark my fucking words.

Country ribs are off the top neck of the pig, ya cunt.

>shoulder referred to as the top neck

Love you guys.
fags

>ribs are on the neck
Where are the feet?

You mean the hocks?

There's already a sous vide thread you pathetic faggot

>sous vide general

More like soy boy general.

Hocks are different from the feet

>Devastated by the trauma of his macdonald's job only affording him a used microwave, the tortured brainlet used his last few molecules of lingering muscle to raise his puny, blubber-thick arm to the keyboard, and through the tears cascading from his eyes and streaming down his bulbous cheeks, he launched what he believed to be a savage attack on the sous vide chad, furiously asserting that anyone capable of properly equipping their kitchen is incapable of cooking food. Exhausted by the ordeal and wheezing with exhaustion, he slumped back down onto his diarrhoea-saturated mattress, gulped down his few remaining morsels of stolen, left-over macdonalds waste, closed his eyes and began reciting his comfort-mantra to drown out the torturous noise of laughing girls "Anyone with more money than me is inferior, I'm burger flipper of the month, I'll have my michelin stars soon". Comfortable in his ignorance and too weak to go on, he wiped the tears from his face, looked lovingly at his good boy points chart, thanked his mommy for letting him stay even though he was 47, and fell asleep, to dream of the day he too could be one of the big boys and be allowed into his mother's kitchen without protective gear and constant supervision.
Poor dumpling. There there.

Good news, everyone! Not only are Ziploc freezer bags fine (Modernist Cuisine approves), but some consider them superior for a number of reasons. We're go for launch.

Shit thread. Not cooking. Gay.

I'm going 150 f. for 24 hours. Hopefully we can keep this thread going that long.
Maybe I'll find other things to cook at that temp and drop those in.

She's warming up!

>Still crippled with jealousy and unable to sleep, the furious blubbernaut used his 3 residual atoms of masculinity to launch what he was convinced was another biting attack. "I'M A REAL MAN. MOMMY TOLD ME SO" he squeaked from his wheezing lungs, and with that in mind he was able to tap the keyboard 31 times; "Shit thread. Not cooking. Gay." Satisfied that his bizarre assertion that sous vide cooking isn't cooking and confident that the chad-chef was in tatters, he let out a raspy sigh and collapsed back onto his jizz-soaked mattress, congratulating himself on the unimaginable savagery he'd unleashed; his whole body rippling with waves of burger blubber every time he let out a satisfied laugh, slowly masturbating while imagining how much emotional damage he'd done to the fool who'd dare have a better kitchen than him. "that'll show him" he reassured himself, before sinking satisfied, back into the 2-inch-thick layer of saturated fat and fermenting semen which was his bed, and trying once more to stop weeping long enough to drift off and dream of my little pony and anime.

Now to reply to the replies.

>why are you on this board if you can't cook food?
Actually I can cook food. I graduated culinary school in 2001 and work as a personal chef. My boss got one of these so I could make her Starbucks Egg Bites, but I've been interested in one of these for a long time.
>$200 meme device
Have you any idea how long it's going to be before there's another cooking method added to what we have now?

>There's already a sous vide thread you pathetic faggot
Get a load of this hot-head.
Go hang out in that thread then, buddy. Is it a LIVE thread? Is the other O.P. actually making something right now and giving updates?

>More like soy boy general.
When I think of a 'soy boy', whatever that's supposed to mean/you think it means, I don't think of a guy making a bunch of pork. I think of a pale, vegan hipster with liberal arts student loans. I could be wrong though.

This guy... I like this guy.

Thanks for bumping, Shitnuts! Guess who's not getting any 24-hour country pork ribs. It's (you)!!

nobody care about your meme toy. this is our thread now.

Is it? What are you and your associates going to do with it? I'm dropping in the pork soon and then it's 24 hours, so thanks for taking over and keeping the thread moving while I get other stuff done. Now I don't have to check in as often.

You're trying way too hard

>24 hours
we wait

I know I'm taking the bait here, but there are A LOT of garbage threads on Veeky Forums these days (and all days past), and even if you think sous vide is lame, do you really not appreciate O.C. of this nature? Would you really rather have yet another thread devoted to fast food, fast food reviewers, ingredients some kid thinks are memes, or 'my-favorite-____-is objectively the best ____' threads?

Fuck off.

Sous vide isn't cooking. You might as well make a thread about heating up food in the microwave.

>Sous vide isn't cooking
Get a load of this fucking retard.

Cooking or cookery is the art, technology, science and craft of preparing food for consumption with or without the use of heat.

You're incorrect about sous vide and microwave cooking.

And, without further ado, in they go.

I'll pop up to bump from time to time, but there seem to be enough naysayers here to keep us afloat for the next 24 hours. Hell, 18 ought to do it.

>apple falls from tree
>pick it up
>is cooking
i cooked!

You're just digging yourself deeper, dumbshit. Please go somewhere else and spread your ignorance.

You can call heating food in a microwave cooking. I don't. You can call sous vide cooking. I don't. I call it a convoluted way of preparing food that requires no talent and no skill that delivers lackluster, mediocre results that people – most of the time people that suck at cooking, can use to pretend like they can cook. So if you call that cooking, fine. I don't.

>Cooking [...] is the [act] of preparing food for consumption with or without the use of heat.
I take the peel off my bananas before I eat them. Didn't realise I was cooking them.

Both of those methods *COOK the food. Yes, you can HEAT cooked food in the microwave oven. You can also put RAW food in the microwave oven, power it on to your desired settings and when you remove said food, it is now hot and the tissues have toughened, juices have released, and the food is no longer raw.

Furthermore, (and it has been touched upon in this thread) one who has already learned to cook, and may even be considered talented at it, has no reason not to use this relatively new method of cooking (yes, IT IS cooking). How you're likening sous vide and microwaves is beyond me.

You can go through life attributing your own warped definitions to established practices though. Just know that you are wrong in every way.

>being so humiliatingly crippled with jealousy that you compare picking up an apple to sous vide
>every girl on earth barely able to breathe due to the ferocious fits of absolute hysterics while pointing firmly at your devastated, lip-wobbling face

If being wrong means I'll never have to eat disappointing food heated in a microwave or a plastic bag, then I'll gladly be "wrong."

>GET THE FUCK OUT
Exactly what I was about to do. Hiding the thread because it's not cooking, and it doesn't belong on this board.

Later!

WAIT!! Please, PLEASE... DONT GO!!! THERES NO NEED TO BE JEALOUS!!!
Actually fuck off.

every girl on earth is thinking about me? that's awesome!

how many are thinking about you and your overpriced fish tank heater?

No one gives a shit about you making a bunch of pork though. Mcchicken shit posts are more interesting than whatever you redit fags post. Why do you not understand that?

That thread is just some moron who wants to be talked in or out of buying one. Instead of doing real research, he comes here to ask our retarded opinions. This thread is someone who bought one and is using it.

I thought you were leaving.
I don't go on Reddit. Why do you assbags always bring Reddit into the discussion when something isn't going your way? Apparently any non-McChicken threads happening when you're skulking the board must come from Reddit people.

Love my Anova. Got a top round going last night, probably gonna take it out after 24 hours.

And here we establish that there is no point sous vide'ing meat because you could just peel it instead.

You realise this board is called 'Food & Cooking'.

>No one gives a shit about you making a bunch of pork though.
OMG an user is cooking on a Veeky Forums, that isn't what this board is about.

>Mcchicken shit posts are more interesting than whatever you redit fags post.
Yes we should talk more about buying subpar """"""chicken""""""" sandwiches from le ebin McD. That is certainly more on topic, then actually cooking food.

>Why do you not understand that?
Aww are you mad you didn't get your way? Did they turn down your janitor application again? I'm sure you'll get approved next time kiddo, don't give up the fight.

Alright you can stop now, you're not impressing anyone anymore

Sous video seems like it has limited uses.
How do you plan on finishing the meat, ripping hot pan, or with a handheld blowtorch?

>blubbernaut
holy fuck. A+

i use heavy duty ziploc brand bags all the time (don't use the knock off brands). there's no real reason to use vacuum sealers (plus they are a pain to clean).

sous vide helps get excellent results. kinda wish i wasn't so lazy or i'd use mine more often

the outside

he stopped five hours ago. are you slow or something? holy shit.

then there's this guy. what the fuck. haha

Looking good. It's certainly firmed up. About 13 hours to go.

I cracked the glass around one of my lenses a couple hours ago. I'll have to switch to my old phone until the replacement arrives tomorrow.

I-is that a Bluetooth logo?

It is. Those can sync up with your phone or Alexa. There's a more expensive one that does wifi

This is one thing that would put me off buying a lot of sous vide circulators. Anything with an 'app' interface will lose some of its functionality within five years.

That is one of the drawbacks to the Joule, since that one runs completely off the App. I think the Anova like the OP is using allows for setting temp on the unit itself.
Honestly with Sous Vide circulators as long as you can set the temp, you'll never lose functionality.

That's why I went with the Anova. I don't want to rely on internet to use it.
All I did is plug it on and set it. I'm not even interested in the bluetooth functions.

>All these ass blasted and bad home cooks mad about sous vide

Anyone else have one of these insteadb of the sticks?

>cooking in plastic
enjoy your xenostrogens and cancer, soyboi

kys

According to the latest research, the safest plastics for use with food are high-density polyethylene, low-density polyethylene, and polypropylene. Virtually all sous vide bags are made from these plastics, as are most brand-name food storage bags and plastic wraps such as Saran wrap. Polyethylene is widely used in containers for biology and chemistry labs, and it has been studied extensively. It is safe. -Modernist Cuisine

10/10

If I remember correctly, it doesn't actually circulate the water and costs more.

CAN I USE THIS TO BUILD A BETTER DEEP FRYER FOR PIZZA ROLLS

Still going!

Correct, it does not circulate. Though, it does keep a relatively constant temperature throughout. Just add about two degrees and you're good.

How much does the machine cost if I could just put something in a bag and leave it that would make my life so much easier

it does, that's what the wheel is for

>mfw work in a kitchen
>mfw this thread

I want to see you autists get this upset when you realize 90% of restaurant food is prepared this way.

plus you run the risk of somebody hacking it and boiling your house down

That's not true. It's mainly high-end restaurants that utilize sous vide, and even then it's just for specific dishes.

>but some consider them superior for a number of reasons.

Name them

Benefits of Using Ziploc Bags with Sous Vide
There are several advantages to using Ziploc bags instead of a FoodSaver-type sealer. The biggest advantage is the ability to seal liquids. Ziploc bags work with both solids and liquids, so you can easily use marinades and sauces while you cook.

Another thing I really like about using Ziploc bags is that they are easy to open and re-seal. Many foods like sirloin, brisket, and pork shoulder have a lot of variation in the toughness of the meat and need different lengths of cooking time to fully tenderize them. The problem is that amount of time needed can be hard to determine before actually cooking them.

With Ziplocs I can open the pouch after the minimum amount of cooking time has passed and check the tenderness. If it needs more tenderizing I just re-seal the bag and put it back in the sous vide machine for a few more hours. When it's tender enough, I'll pull it out and it's ready to serve whenever I want. It really helps prevent under- and over-cooking foods.

Opening and re-sealing the bags is also helpful if the food has given off some gas and is starting to float. This often happens during longer cooks and it can be a pain to try and weigh down the bags.

With Ziplocs, you can release the gas, re-seal the bag, and the food will easily stay below the water again.

Cost of Ziploc Bags with Sous Vide
Of course, Ziploc Freezer Bags are also cheaper than FoodSaver bags. You can get 30 one-gallon bags on Amazon for under $5, about 15 cents a bag. In comparison, 28 one-gallon FoodSaver bags runs about $22, about 5 times as much.

I have an old food saver from the 70s that can vacuum liquids without issue, its the greatest next to a chamber vac.

>buying individual bags and not a roll
wtf user also see

Yes, but if you don't have the sealer...

I meant if you have a food saver, buy rolls not bags senpai.

because the world needs more plastic bags

Getting one myself, gonna make precise ass cannabutter. People raging about them just don't understand how much easier it makes sustaining a set temperature, slow cookers have hot spots and the temperature fluctuates. it's just taking a little more control over your end result, slow cooker might be fine for you at home, but for those worried about consistent product, it's worth getting the sous vide.

Your thread died .

Pity.

I never even thought of that! I make tincture, not butter, but come to think of it, sous vide would be perfect for that as well.

DUDE
WEED
LMAO

It's been 16 hours. I'm thinking of pulling them, or at least one bag.

What internal temp are you shooting for?

HOPEFULLY IT'LL HAVE BEEN WORTH THE WEIGHT

youtube.com/watch?v=d3d4Mlk8O9g

>It's been 16 hours
This reminded me of the lyrics to 'Nothing Compares 2 U' by Sinéad O'Connor. Could be meme in it.

>Veeky Forums goypass poster makes a terrible thread
Imagine my shock.

Nice! ...since ya took your love away...

>terrible thread

The asshole is back.