Has anyone eaten an MRE? I kind of want to buy one just to try it. Am I stupid?

Has anyone eaten an MRE? I kind of want to buy one just to try it. Am I stupid?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Sarotti-Scho-Ka-Kola-Cho-cola-100g/dp/B00313TXTC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yeah everyone should try one just for the novelty factor. i think its better than a microwave meal

They're pretty horrible. Don't be fooled by Steve's videos but go ahead and buy one just to see for yourself.

No, They're not the worst thing in the world. Just taste like really low quality canned food. They'll fill you up though.

I've wanted to try one out as well.
Though, I think buying second hand off ebay is sketchy AF.
Like it would be awesome to try just for the novelty. The idea of an entire, already cooked meal with a long shelf life and the ability to be heated up whenever is amazing.

Buying them in bulk for actual preping is another thing altogether.

>the idea of...

You just described litterally any Canned food user. Only canned food tastes better and cheaper and more readilly available

I think it's better to experience other cultures through the videos on youtube of people digging into their MREs, it's pretty amazing to see personal tastes of the soldiers and especially good MREs that try to replicate comfort food that legitimately will boost the morale of soldiers from different countries. I can't imagine how much money was spent trying to make a thermostabilized pizza just to have it not last for more than 2 years in storage, far below standards of the US military.

As for actual taste? Eh, it's shitty food packed with preservatives and essential vitamins. There's diet programs that make microwavable thermostabilized meals which taste almost identical, and are more convenient. They're a cool /k/ thing really.

It's really just the epitome of canned food made for a soldier running around in all sorts of environment carrying tons of equipment. Is it good in terms of taste? Hell no, it's basically canned food with at least a fair bit of nutritional value. But they help a lot when you're going out hiking - not really when it comes to camping, though.

The concept of an entire meal in an airtight pouch with a long shelf life and the heating mechanism inside as well.
All in an compact convenient package that you take with you in a situation like a war or for emergency supplies for a long camping trip.
Not necessarily canned food you'd need an opener for and a heat source.

I know canned and pre-packaged food is more readily available, but like I said, I'd like to try an MRE for the novelty.

Cheese tortellini is the shit.

Make sure you get it out onto a tray. Nice.

If you hang out with shitbags hide them. They'll rape the MRE's just for the pound cake. You'll end up with a bunch of open bags missing the dessert.

>am i stupid?
No, you are a very NICE guy with a really NICE taste for food.

the type of ptsd the media doesnt tell you about

Niggers would not do this. Why do you live in a trailer user?

go for it. They are quite N I C E

Ex-British Army myself. Love me some rat packs.

Except omelette and muesli.. they're fucking literal cancer.

theyre calorie dense and decently flavored. best part of your day if you are in the military out in the field

the worst day of my life was during basic training, we had just finished a 12 mile march and were starving and tired. the drills passed out MREs right out of the big boxes. i got a white rice main course with a side of corn and brown rice. the dreaded vegan meal. i complained but was promptly told to fuck off.

12 mile or 12k?. If I remember correctly the longest one we did was 15k and that was like 7 miles and shit almost killed me.

12 mile. toward the end of boot camp. it was one of the final marches and the 2nd longest we ever did.

marching in boots with packs is total shit, yeah.

I feel for you.
What a shitty situation to have done a marathon just to be given nothing but carbs.

just trying to get by man... day by day

No.
Get spanish ones.
Do not eat them in summer.

Military here. Had to eat these two times a day for 5 days straight. When you're practically fucking starved of all things good finding a pack of skittles or their banana bread is like dining at a 4 star restaurant.

Regular consumption? Trash.

NICE

The first time I ate an MRE I got the southwest style beans or whatever and it was really good, came with a pop-tart and beef jerky. It was like an adult happy meal. But once you eat those every day for a week you hate them and want to die. I have no interest in ever eating an MRE willingly again.

It's great if you've been walking all day and you're hungry. Almost anything is.
It will not be a satisfying meal for you to have while watching the Netflicks all day, though.
They're also pretty fucking expensive. I can see the military application but when everyday campers/hikers say they use them I just assume they have too much money.

so you arent a fan of weekend hikers taking bb guns innawoods and chowing down on MREs while playing The Walking Dead on their phones at the campfire?

I don't blame them for doing what they enjoy and I think a BB gun has its uses, but buying an MRE online doesn't make you a badass operator, no, and I can cook something at least as good from a few dried dried goods and a small bag of mixed spices for less money and less weight.
It's not skin off my nose, though. I don't hate them.

>if I'm not playing veigar with 200 stacks at 15 minutes with a death cap on the way my team won't do any damage
>get ksed all game by last hitting fags
>20 assists
God fuck this game

>he posts on /lolg/

They're alright. Everything usually tastes a bit old. The meals can be okay but they're like baked beans tier quality.

only 5 days? fug man I've eaten that shit for like 3 months at a time.

>he can't carry with a stacked veigar

Just stop playing, bro.

>Has anyone eaten an MRE?
Yes.
> I kind of want to buy one just to try it. Am I stupid?
Yes.

>WE WERE JUST KIDS
>WE DIDN'T KNOW

>he plays League of Plebians

>i complained but was promptly told to fuck off.
as you should be you fucking faggot

>i complained
You're at the end of basic and they hadn't beaten the complaining out of you by then? Christ, no wonder we haven't been on the winning side of a war since ww2.
>welp, guess we better double the military budget, our babbies in uniform need some new pacifiers and rattles

I've eaten these for years. They're alright to try out, whether just for curiosity or if you're looking at them for going /out/ but I'd really only consider keeping them on a multi day hike. Bring something nicer for camp.

The whole point is that I NEED to play veigar to win.
Didn't mean to post this here tho

"Commercial release is unlawful"

It is stupid to try MREs just for the novelty. /k/ needs to stay on /k/.

I don't think that's too true. They used to sell these loosely in the on base commissary. If they sell it like that they have to accept civilians might get a hold of it.

They don't taste great. It's neat to try, like if you're camping or hiking, but the novelty is the only real draw.

I ate a lot of these, some of them are okay. If you want to try one, id recommend chili mac, or southwest style chicken. It was always a good day if one of those was in the box.

My RTO would always steal the sour skittles.

wow, that sucks. I've had the vegan ratatouille before and thought it was great, but plain white rice as a fucking MAIN?

If it was actually illegal, than eBay would take down listings for American MREs.

Armyfag here. Tuna a best. Ribs were low quality but filling. It's been a while since i ate these things daily but I'm sure to remember what they taste like if you bring them up.

go to a camping store and get their food, some factories make both mres and freeze dried camping food.

If you want to try them for the novelty of it, just buy two or three dishes that sound good and sample each of the mains/sides. None of the food actually tastes that good but it can be kind of fun to mix and match whatever you get. The pound cake is pretty tasty.

thank you for your service

I'm about to eat the asian beef strips tonight. I have cheese tortellini and chicken chunks for a later time.

How did you not die of constipation?

There's laxative gum inside every MRE

kill yourself

>niggers would not steal

my father used to swipe as many as he could from the barracks he was stationed at. The Swedish had an amazing fish stew ration. like 14 years ago. maybe they still have it

No, you kill YOURSELF, you fucking kike. Nationless parasite.

If you're buying one for the experience make sure you get a real one and not a knock off.

We used to toss the drink powder into the fire. Made a huge flash of colored flame.

They also used to say the gum had diarrhetics in it because the rest of the meal had so many preservatives it would constipate you. Assume it was bs but I always ate everything in the bag so it didn't matter.

i unironically love them wish I could get them shipped to me for free

Its basically like a mystery box, you grab one, open it up, get some weird version of the meal listed on the package and then a random dessert.

yes. and its also the highlight of your day as a military drone. lucky MRE pick.

>They're pretty horrible. Don't be fooled by Steve's videos but go ahead and buy one just to see for yourself.

i really want one of those us cornflake bars or that ww2 german chocolate-cola bar

They're generally nice as someone who was an Army chef and did 4 years,

Never got the constipation everyone whines about.

Any questions fire away

I know how this can be arranged.

>Though, I think buying second hand off ebay is sketchy AF
Why? As long as it's sealed, you're fine. You'll know if it has a nice hiss.

It might be different depending on the person, I was never in the army but my dad was a Y2K prepper, so we would eat MREs after everything blew over. I went a week on MREs and it made my shit bricks.
Though these were older MREs from the mid to late 90s, might be a bit different now

Wow I knew Pharah was hiding something hot in there but DAMN

literally don't buy it unless you plan on working out like a fucking animal, those things have like 2000 calories a package. don'y do it and come here crying about how fucking constipated you are after you eat it and sit on the couch

Just understand that if you eat it, you will be backed up for days. It's meant to constipate you so you can spend a long time in combat without shitting.

MREs are 1300 calories, if you're working out then it's 2 a day. In combat situations it's 3 a day, and if you're just eating them, it's 1 MRE plus a breakfast

>ww2 german chocolate-cola bar
They still make them.
amazon.com/Sarotti-Scho-Ka-Kola-Cho-cola-100g/dp/B00313TXTC

commercial resale user, there's a legal difference there.

eBay has removed listings for far less.

I'm just saying there's a difference. Commercial release means it can't be sold to the public, commercial resale means the military can't sell it to the public. It's still legal for the company to.

When I was a kid my dad brought back some from the Gulf War. The first couple were fun, but by the third one the novelty wore off. Having to eat those things for months must suck balls.

I had a few and i would say it depends on personal taste and what you get. some were good and some were bad

After Katrina anything was good tbqh

I love them just stay away from anything vegan or the bean shit. Also there is some new 2018 mres new meals and they are fucking god tier

If your scared of ebay go to the actual website or a store called REI bass pro shops have them as well but in the big stores

The heater sucks most of the time, hope you enjoy lukewarm canned food.

If you get one with the jalapeno cheese packet just throw it away.

drink enough water dumbass

Please be respectful of my wife

I've just spent 2 weeks living off these bloody things whilst on exercise.

Honestly, they arent that bad. The puddings are honestly god awful, but as someone has said, they do fill you up. The main meals are pretty varied and are quite tasty, the tomato based ones at least.

>rice with a side of rice

What the fuck? Do american armys really do this?

Yes, unmemeingly.

thats a mighty odd wemb pal-o

My man.

The truth is always shocking, I know.

>that autistic friend who brings her collection of weird, old MREs to the beach
jap grills discussing English phrases is cute tho

The muesli isn't the worst. I always just ate it like trail mix.

Yup. Vegans ruin everything.

They're fine in a pinch. Hunger is the best sauce and all of that. But there is a reason that preppers stockpile a shit ton of Mountain House freeze dried foods, and very few MREs.

You have to remember that MREs are made by the lowest bidder. They tend to be a bit more bulky than freeze dried foods as well. Taste-wise, I'll always take the Mountain House or a similar product.

A tip for you guys. Don't allow the MRE to freeze and then expect the heater to actually do a damn. We were out in the field once with frozen MRE's and couldn't cook the shits.

Don't the full day packs generally have around 3,000 calories? Really not that much if you're essentially walking around all day with a heavy pack and rifle, doubt it would even really be sufficient.

They're still trying to figure out why they lost in Nam, feeding their soldiers rice like the VC did might be the secret

Its not sold commercially, eat dicks soyboy