How to read faster without speed reading? I average 50-70 pages a day, meaning that i spend 3 or 4 days on a fucking

How to read faster without speed reading? I average 50-70 pages a day, meaning that i spend 3 or 4 days on a fucking
200 page book. I want to at least bring that to a hundred. How do you guys do it? I've tried speed reading and as you can guess it didn't work. I couldn't retain anything.

Speed reading is skimming. Apart from that, read more and you'll eventually get quicker. Anyone who brags about incredible reading speeds are either full of shit or skimming much more than they realize, and I don't know which is worse.

Its not a fucking competition on how much you read , just read at your pace and enjoy the content of the book

Don't worry about speed unless you're an English major. There's no point. I used to read about 100-200 books a year as an English major and now I read barely more than 1 in a month.

Just spend longer reading, you should be able to clear 100 pages in 2 hours

I speed read poetry and don't even subvocalize.

get on my level

50-70 a day is fine. You can't force yourself to read faster.

Also, WHY?! WHY MUST YOU TORMENT ME SO WITH THESE JEZEBELS? All I want to do is come here for an asexual experience that will exercise my brain but I am constantly titillated by these vixens with their prodigious hips and provocative figures. Can I never satiate this thirst, will I ever know the touch of a woman and enter between her loins? Will my seed ever drip from her moistened hole?

Life is a constant hell. No wonder I resent women too.

Don't try to read faster, read for longer periods of time.

>read Dickens for about 3 hours
>only managed to read 50 pages

When will I get faster?

a passionless fist bump for my fellow triggered litizen

That pasta never gets old.

>How to read faster without speed reading?

Learn about the book before reading it, focus on
-plot
-themes
-some characters
-a bit of historical context
-maybe a little bit about the author's life
-and of course, read the intro/prologue and the back of the book

Going in blind only serves to waste your time. Narrative is only a single aspect of a piece of literature. Getting the bulk of the potential confusion out of the way beforehand allows you to feast upon on the delicious prose in a more streamlined manner, which only serves to increase the pleasure you'll get out of a book because reading fiction slowly is frustrating. The important bits come with what the text makes you feel and the thoughts inspired by your experience.

I read at about 40 pages per hour and I still feel slow. Fact is, reading well is a skill like any other, the only way to get better is to practice

retention > speed
As long as you understand what you're reading, don't worry, you'll read faster with practice.

I'd rather have a better understanding of what I'm reading as opposed to reading faster for the sake of it, defeats the whole purpose of reading, unless your purpose is to be perceived as impressive to others.

A friend of mine can read about 600-800 words per minute if he finds the book interesting. He also claims that the speed is the matter of training and not necessarily comes naturally. He said that his father is a very slow reader (150 w.p.m. on average) despite having read tons of books

Who is this gorgeous bitch?

That's the entire point of being well-read though.

I'm starting to resent this girl for her beauty.

I thought a similar thing opening that picture. To hold a body like that, to have a smile like that directed towards you as a consequence of your existence and the personality you have developed over time. For someone with such obviously high aesthetic standards to feel compatible with you and thus suggest your own physical desirability and general high-standard. It hurts, sometimes physically, especially in the lower gut, to be reminded that at this VERY MOMENT this girl is awake, conscious, and in love with someone else, that her little heart beats quickly for him, that her cute face blushes when he is nearby. That there are hundreds of thousands of girls similar to her in the small demographic of women I would absolutely marry after a week of talking and mutual smiling who will NEVER so much CONSIDER dating a depressed manchild undiscovered genius like myself. It isn't fair and frankly somebody has to pay.

>tfw you introduced this picture to Veeky Forums

na i did son

The trick is to not vocalize the words.
I've realized I don't remember any better subvocalizing than just lookinh at the letters. The hard part is stopping myself from vocalising. I observe myself translating the words to speech, it feels like ages, I already comprehend the word why are you saying it?

Then it's straining on eyes to move them back and forth so fast, and get annoyed for missing a "to" or "in" losing the meaning.
>Tfw enjoy reading merely 250 words a minute, but also hate it cause it takes so long.

I love you and I hate you at the same time.

I hate her yet I would give a piece of my soul just to see another pic of her.

There is one post with it before mine in the archive. might be legit

>who will NEVER so much CONSIDER dating a depressed manchild undiscovered genius like myself.

don't sweat it Einstein

i wouldn’t go as far as saying that it’s skimming.
There’s a lecturer at our speed reading class who reads pages diagonally, and she doesn’t focus on every word. She reads a page under 10 seconds and retains most of its information.

The idea to get faster is to stop reading every word in your mind as if you’re pronouncing it. Putting index finger on the page and creating a pace helps with the focus and forces you to follow the finger instead of stopping to think.

Even if this is a pasta I wholeheartedly agree

This iss how I do it, though it obviously depends on your own daily routine. Early in the day I read about 30 pages, I'm a slow reader so it takes me about an hour or so. Then I put down the book, go do something else, clear my head, think about what I read or whatever.
A couple of hours later I read another 30 pages, again it will take me about an hour. Then at night before going to sleep, I read another 30 pages. That should all add up to about 90, but sometimes I end up reading 33, or 34 pages, which would all add up to about a 100. Hell, you can easily make it above a hundred like this.
Anyway, this is what works for me, but if you have a busy day then it might be harder for you to do.

A Tale of Two Cities? The first few chapters of that take forever.

And adding to that, it also obviously depends on the book and the author. You won't make it to 100 pages of Ulysses a day no matter how hard you try, unless you want to understand or appreciate nothing. Some books simply need more time, but if it's something relatively simple then it shouldn't be a problem.

But what's the point if you don't appreciate the language, the art and the beauty of the word? Literature is more than just information. I guess that approach works when reading text books but otherwise why even bother reading literature at all?

>I average 50-70 pages a day, meaning that i spend 3 or 4 days on a fucking 200 page book.
You're a fast reader. Fuck off.

Hey why do you make posts with stimulating pictures. very distracting. dont even know what your post is about.

Between meals, a long interval, caffeinated. Intermittent fasting, but not to the point where your blood sugar is screaming (diminishing gains.)
Outdoors, in the shade
Non-fiction: read as an editor, actively pruning to the bone.
Fiction: speed isn't applicable, length of sittings counts for more; if you absolutely must, catch yourself reading aloud with your inner voice, and stop it.
Epigraphy: the more specific, personal, and aesthetically pleasing your script is to your own eyes, the more you'll start to treat printed text as pictographic blocks, -- eventually whole paragraphs will be hieroglyphs you scan as units themselves