Foil Cooking

A couple decades ago there used to be this whole craze in the States involving cooking meals wrapped in aluminum foil.

Basically, you'd take all your ingredients (liquids too), dump them into an aluminum foil cocoon, wrap it either completely or with a vent and then stick the cocoons into an oven or a grill.

Is this still a thing or did they find out it causes cancer or something?

Engine block cooking has taken a hit with the rise of Uber and public transportation.

I do it on camping trips sometimes

works pretty well when you're car camping with a fire
it's just pointless at home

I mainly only do that on camping trips, but I'll occasionally do it at home with certain foods on the grill or smoker.

It was just a fad. People probably stopped doing it because those foil packets rip pretty easily, so you usually still have to wash a baking dish after.

Probably right. Still, it does seem like it would be really convenient to set a few pre prepared packets in the fridge and then just pull them out and stick them in the oven when you're ready to eat.

Works pretty good for car camping
Otherwise is pretty useless

if you heat foil over fire it burns and you get toxic aluminum oxide

I've been known to do this. I often pre-portion leftovers this way.

My mom used to do packages with basically just
thinly sliced potato and bacon and herbs and it was always delicious. Hasn't the slow cooker kinda taken over the "throw everything into something and wait" thing?

No you dont

When I was a boy scout we'd do these all the time. Meat and potatos mostly. Easy to make like 40 of these, throw them in a bon fire. We called em hobo vittles.

We call it hobomeals here.

It's great for camping.

Do Americans really go camping?

I do
camping is comfy
>go out into wilderness with only what you can carry on your back
>enjoy it

Humans go camping the world over. In fact, tens of thousands of years ago, everyone was camping. Is that enough info for you, Xyrvkx?

camping is frivolous, fake bullshit.

>lets go sleep in the woods for... no fucking reason...

yeah real authentic buddy. kys.

Just because something doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean that it is also unappealing to everyone.

>something you enjoy is stupid because I say so
come on buddy

>yfw you call an uber to cook your foil wrapped dinner but it goes into surge pricing

>Faggy city dweller detected

i do this when i go camping

3 packets:
- veggies (sweet potato, asparagus, sweet peppers) olive oil sea salt
- beef onions and potatoes and seasoning
- bacon poblano peppers onions and mexican seasoning

brings back fond memories of boy scouts every time