What's the best software for writing? I've always used Microsoft Word but I feel like there might be something better

What's the best software for writing? I've always used Microsoft Word but I feel like there might be something better.

Ideally something that allows me to type white words on a black background, always found that easier on the eyes.

I use google docs out of sheer pragmatism. If you're into what you're writing you'll use a fucking napkin if that's what you have avaiable.

I use Google Docs too, it's actually really good. You can get extensions for it. And your magnum opus won't be snatched from the hands of history when you spill Monster on your hard drive

Pretty sure you can type white on black background in word.

Novlr. It is excellent.

Emacs, because it's free as in shit.

This, or go use LibreOffice because it respects your freedoms

Sublime Text works if you want bright text on dark bg.

jdarkroom

>white words on a black background
Maybe WriteMonkey
Also LibreOffice for general word processing purposes

Latex my dude.

GNU emacs

Celtix

my man

Writeordie and Scrivener for the first draft, then subsequent drafts in Word.

>If you're into what you're writing you'll use a fucking napkin if that's what you have avaiable.
Sure, but if you're serious you'll also ask "is there anything better than this napkin for next time?". Napkins are fine for a while, but if you're writing a novel, you better at least have a more solid system, be it notebooks or a standard word processor.

seconding emacs + tex

had my eye on this a little while ago, what format does it save in? If I need to do some more significant editing I want to be able to open my files in another program with little hassle.

Are you really nitpicking at an illustration?

Scrivener is good but FUCK them for discontinuing the Linux version. You literally have to run an old version of Debian/Ubuntu for that shit to work.

Yes?

just pirate the old version?

Google Docs is probably the most useful since they store it in NSA servers, the best cloud storage in the world. No saving or moving files around. Still have stuff from years ago in high school, and it's saved me a couple times in crashes since it's always autosaving.

No, as in you have to install an older operating system for that shit to be functional. I already bought & paid for Scrivener which I have on my Windows computer, but I don't use that one as often now.

It can run through wine, but it's buggy as all fuck and takes alotta tweaking. Really annoying.

This was surprisingly motivating. Thank you.

That's shitty but also your own fault.
I didn't pay for it and it works brilliantly.

>paying for things
There is your mistake

The money isn't the issue, I got it on sale and $25 isn't going to kill me. I'd just like full functionality on my preferred platform.

Are there any downsides to google docs? I don't want any prying eyes on my work...

No real downsides beside the fact you can't use it without wifi (at least on desktop). Nobody can see your work unless you share it with them.