Instant Coffee

Instant Coffee thread.

Has anybody found any instant coffee that they actually like, or at least tolerate? I've been sampling around and here are my findings so far.

>Taster's Choice House Blend
Horrible flavor. Main body is like a pot of week-old coffee, with an aftertaste of blood or pennies. Very metallic. 0/5

>Taster's Choice 100% Colombian
Surprisingly not nearly as bad as the house blend. Tastes like really good coffee beans that went slightly stale. 3/5

>Nescafe Clasico
I can see why this one is so popular around the world. It tastes like a plain cup of meh coffee, which doesn't sound too exciting except that there's little to no "instant" taste. Just tastes like your average cup of brewed folgers or bustelo. 4/5

>Starbucks Via
Extremely disappointing. Especially as the most expensive instant coffee available. It tastes roughly like motor oil and dirt were run through a coffee filter. 0/10 absolute trash.

>Pampa
I think this is the Aldi brand, but it tastes like most generic store brands. That is, it tastes like somebody took a pot of coffee and just boiled it until all the water evaporated and collected the remaining residue. 1/10

There is this stuff with a name kinda like Dogbert Ewqeyea or something. It comes from South Africa I think.

I've had all the coffees in your list and I find it to be much better.

nescafe clasico nails that generic slightly burnt "diner coffee" taste perfectly
sometimes I wonder if I'm being sold nescafe clasico whenever I get shitty diner coffee at 2am

Nescafe Taster's Choice French Roast

Yeah yeah exactly!
Like it doesn't taste GOOD by any means, but it's tolerable because it's so inoffensive.

>Dogbert Ewqeyea

This is choice, and you get to feel like an anime girl while drinking it!

Here's a tip for you all:

If instant coffee is all you have and it's hot outside, dissolve the coffee granules in cold water and add ice. Voila, a semi-decent iced black coffee. No sugar needed.

Nescafe Blend 43 was one I tried that turned out tolerable. Another instant Nescafe: Cafe Viet, was also pretty good when dissolved in cold/room temp water and iced, though I think it had premixed sugar.

I just eat this shit tþh

you don't drink instant coffee for the taste. just grin and bear it.

Sudden Coffee
Viola!
Parlor Coffee instant

Those are more or less your only halfway decent options.

Nescafe clasico tastes like death imo. The hazelnut version on the other hand is my go to.

>Nice

>Dogbert Ewqeyea
Douwe Egberts its the biggest coffee brand in the Netherlands

>actually like, or at least tolerate
Back to your safe space snowflake

>iced coffee

its the best instant coffee here in Australia, there is many an office war over getting the moccona and avoiding the blend43

Is Nescafe a brit thing.
I prefer tea, obviously but Nescafe is good enough.
There is no pinnacle to reach in a ready made coffee, taste is not unpleasant, it tastes pretty good on a hangover mhm, not much else to say.

I thought Australia had a big third wave scene? Why fuck about with instant at all?

coffee machines are expensive, a lot of people have pod machines, we've got fairly decent coffee everywhere, though when you factor in the fact you get a hundred tea spoons of good coffee out of a jar, its cheaper than buying coffee every morning
also its common for offices to provide instant coffee, sugar and milk

Because of Australia's multicultural population, we can appreciate coffee in its various forms.

- Italian espresso-based drinks
- Greek/Turkish/Lebanese coffee
- Vietnamese drip coffee
- Chemex/V60 pourover filter coffee
- Aeropress

Even drip brewed coffee is appreciated. I'm starting to see more and more cafes put "batch brew" on their menu, and the coffee made from the drip filter machine is delicious. It all comes down to the beans, their freshness, and the skill of the barista. The brewing process + brewing vessel is only a part of what contributes to the quality of a good cup of coffee in my opinion.

Still looking to see if moka pots and french pressed coffee will start coming into more cafes.

Now going back to instant, there's the cost factor, that influences the decision to buy it, and instant can taste decent depending on the brand.

Ever had a Greek Frappe? They use instant coffee to make it.

Also, see instant can taste sometimes taste better if dissolved in cold water.

Have friends who swear by Starbucks instant. Tried it and tasted like shit. Why is it so hard to make a good instant coffee?

Because it's inherently kind of shitty, not being freshly brewed. It's a substitute for fresh coffee when that's hard to get. Some people have come to appreciate it as a separate drink, but it has never been, and never will be comparable to fresh coffee.

if you've no other choice, nescafe gold blend is drinkable
i mostly drink locally roasted coffee so this is a bit like asking which processed cheese slices are the best

Why would you even drink this shit
There's only 10% more effort brewing regular coffee and takes only like a minute longer.

I mean if you're innawoods or in the army or whatever fine, but if you're home?

I bet it's popular with broke college kids living in dorms.

it's convenient, quick, and cheap.

This stuff is pretty good, I like it enough that i'll sometimes pick this over brewing a pot.
Its hard to find though, havent been able to find an online retailer that sells it so im relying on my sister who lives in aruba to bring a few pots whenever she visits.

Best one I've had

This is the best if you're poverty mode

That brand was good, but they've changed something about it recently so much so that it just tastes way too chemically. It's a real shame because that was the only brand of instant coffee I could stand.

If I'm going to buy anything I'd probably go with something like Nescafe Gold Blend.

I remember [pic] being pretty nice, but you get such a small amount for the price you pay that it didn't seem wotth it.

Regular coffee is basically just as quick, cheap and convenient.
I guess if space is a factor you might not want a coffee brewer standing around, but why not just make it in the kettle?

The best one imo

I dunno. The only rational explanation I can think of besides natural disasters, extremely remote conditions, and being poor or a student is culinary stockholm syndrome. You start to like the inferior thing because you're just fucking used to it. There's a lot of food things like that.

So whatever. People just like weird shit sometimes.

best I've ever tried

Kopeeko
Kopeepok
Kopikop
Kokopipi
Pipikoko

any off brand that's made in germany
i think they must all be made in the same facility

I like the way instant coffee glass jars break. It's a funny glass recipe. It feels light. I want to throw that one on the ground and watch the glass shards sparkle with the brown coffee nuggets. They look like browner Grape-nuts.

Instant coffee tastes like toilet water

I wonder if the cleaner packaging is what makes me want to break it. Does anyone else ever feel like breaking nice things? So simply and cleanly. Everything is so special. Everyone is so special. You always have to be so careful.

kek
this confirms my suspicious that davidoff cigs are overpriced memes.

How about yall actually link something *good* instead of cheap crap

You need to be 18 to post on Veeky Forums

>iced coffee
what if you're not a pooftah?

You're all plebs.

>you will never know how good it is to have a cold brew/cold drip coffee/iced long black on a hot day.

>buy instant coffee
>enjoy it, want more
>buy preground and filter it
>enjoy it, want more
>buy whole beans and an electric burr grinder
>it's all bitter shit that never tastes good at all, regardless of grind size

>bitter
You over extracted it

How are you filtering it?
Batch brewing? Pourover? Aeropress?

What grinder? Your grinder is almost certainly crap and completely incapable of making good coffee.

The Encore is the cheapest halfway passable electric grinder, and it's really not very good.

All depends on what method but:
>use hot, but not boiling water
>correct grind size for brewing type (ex, coarse for French press)
>reduce time brewing
>try light roasted beans

Try these and then you can complain desu

not that user but what are coarse ground /beans/? i buy McCafe brand coffee grounds because i fucking love mcdonald's coffee, but even at the bougie grocery store i never see coarse ground.

"regular" coffee grounds work fine in my french press, too.

You have to grind it that way yourself. Im working with a manual burr grinder from Javapresse, only cost around $20 and works well. I've seen maybe one brand that came "coarse ground" (pic related).

How are regularly ground beans working in your French press? If I use normal preground coffee, I get a mouthful of grinds and over-extracted coffee.

Nescafe gold intense tastes the best but it seems to have a light psychedelic effect on me compared to others.

Aussie Aldi sells an instant coffee (forget the name, but there's only two of them) that tastes pretty much the same.
I grew up on the shitty diner coffee taste, and though I appreciate a decent coffee, it feels like it's two totally separate drinks.
Plus the aldi coffee is cheap as shit.

>makes spoon stirring/fapping noise
>Nice.

10 years ago, every household used at least 2-3 of these jars for something.

My Grandad swears by this stuff. Used to watch him scoop fucking mounds of it into his cup.
We call the stuff Mud Cup now.

DISGUSTING

It's decent.

I'm particularly fond of the hazelnut variety. I've been through so many different kinds of ways to make coffee and I only use instant coffee now for so many reasons it's way more convenient and all I have to do is add water.

The only time it would be acceptable to drink instant coffee is during a long stint in prison.

Can you r8 the coffees in that pic? They seem to be online buy only and they're pricy don't want to blow $100 to taste them all

I'd go with Viola or Swift over sudden.

>How are regularly ground beans working in your French press?
just fine. there are only grinds in my cup if I empty the entire press, I leave enough liquid to cover the plunger. I don't know what over extracted coffee tastes like, sorry.

I use 1/4 cup grounds to 8 cups of water (the entire press) or a heaped 1/8 cup ground to 4.5 cups of water. I recently go a 1/8 c scoop from Amazon but 1/8 c is a bit too weak, so I just guess half from a 1/4 cup scoop.
Then I steep the grounds for 5 minutes and press down the plunger.

Unironically Organo Gold is my favorite

> what are coarse ground beans?
Here's a list