What scary books are you guys reading this October boyos?

What scary books are you guys reading this October boyos?

Other urls found in this thread:

valancourtbooks.com/blackwater-1983.html
youtube.com/watch?v=U-f9PDmCY78
en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Nue_Houjuu
freesfonline.de/authors/Laird_Barron.html
ragnarokpub.com/single-post/2016/02/17/Night-and-Demons-The-Early-Horror-of-David-Drake
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

20th century ghosts, probably

I'd like to re-read Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Are they zombies or vampires?

Going through some Gaskell short stories currently.

Vampires, but they behave like a mindless horde rather than charismatic Counts.

The Hound of the Baskervilles I always thought had a Gothic feel to it. I enjoy revisiting it this time of year.

I have dark tower on audible from days ago. Is it any good or any scary

>I am Legend
>Scary
choose one :/

Its King, so its long and boring.

dark tower isnt scary. i already read the troop and im now reading hex. probably gonna get the deep. so far nothing i have ever read has been frightening.

my diery

This one. Some disturbing and unsettling shit.

Laird Barron if you want some good short stories.

Any Veeky Forums like slasher movies ?

Shutter island not that spooky but still thrilling enough for me

Dracula has definitely stood the test of time. It's a shame "modern" vampire stories aren't very good.

Currently reading this

Penguin Classics has some top tier spooky books.

Blackwater - Michael McDowell
>Southern Gothic/Horror

valancourtbooks.com/blackwater-1983.html

my spooklist contains heart of darkness, ccru collected writings, cyclonopedia, king in yellow, and songs of a dead dreamer. don't know if i'll get through all of 'em though.

BOO!

They are zombies in behavior but vampire in name

i've read that one a couple days ago, i can't believe how much more retarded the movie was compared to it, though in retrospective i guess i don't know why i didn't expect this.
And i am continuing the slog that is the resident evil book series

Hope i can finish it. Its so sacary

i'm feeling spooked just thinking about it

The subjective, sounding off

Recommended by BEE himself, if that means anything

P spoopy

I know you're memeing, but goddamn, the goosebumps books are legit creepy for kids- what always got me was the twist endings, where it was always like "JK EVERYBODY SUFFERS! LOL!" I hated that. It was awful for me.
>tfw listening to "the haunted mask" on cassette

This book is superb.

used to love these as a kid, maybe I'll revisit them

youtube.com/watch?v=U-f9PDmCY78

Anyone here read Thomas Ligotti? I've been recommended and I don't know much about horror fiction. Any of his work worth a read?

Teatro Grottesco, Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe are good starting places for reading Ligotti.

Thanks user, here's a you.

I'm incidentally reading Stephen King's It anyway so I guess I've got Halloween (and Thanksgiving, and Christmas) covered.

Muh nigga.
Not really Halloween-y, though. You should read Winter Moon.

BEE?

This intrigues me. Is it good?

Currently Ligotti for the first time.

Fuck its good

Pretty good Horror/ Science Fiction

got an epub/mobi link?

it gets a bit overwhelming

Yeah, it's got some great scenes, and a very cool premise.

hugh walpole

Pic related

Currently audiobooking Frankenstein, or the Modern Prometheus. It was great for the first hour, I liked the letters and the intro. The monster just got borned. Does it get better or worse from here? Do years of clichés ruin this book or does its greatness endure?

Manga does not count, but that is cute, what is it?

It's pretty interesting. So far though its just multiple readings on different ideas on the concept of hell and the afterlife.

Stuff like a monk sees a ghost and the ghost is damned to hell. Sometimes he can save the soul. Sometimes not.

I'm only halfway through though.

pic rel

((()))

Don't know if it's "scary" but I've made it my mission to start and finish this series by November, almost half way there

I like kaiju.
I like literature.
It would stand to reason this would be right up my alley. But I have had absolutely zero interest in it. I prefer my literary monsters to be Lovecraftian

Shame, I haven't got there yet but what little I know about the series past the second book they start to get that way

Best Living Horror author today

Check out his collections Strange Wine and Deathbird Stories.

Only the first 4 stories of that book are actually horror just FYI.

Richard Matheson has written some GOAT horror

It isn't horror but I recently read Solaris by Lem. Some of the scenes with the 'guests' early on in the story gave me a sort of shock that I haven't had since I was young when I would read ghost stories. Felt good to be jarred again.

It's pretty spoopy

>The White People
This is how white genocide continues

en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Nue_Houjuu

The Complete Cthulhu Mythos

Oh.
Tohou shit.

how bad are the Resident Evil novels? Has anyone read them?

Oh hey. They're actually pretty good for trashy tie-in novels. I only read your pic related but they all have a good reputation. Not terribly scary, though.

the only thing spoopy about this meme is how every paragraph manages to be so consistently boring

Lord Dunsany is great. Very underrated IMO.

Yes, the poster who originally posted her may not even know the source is a game

TW Brown Dead: Series They are all good, Read everyone of them, also maybe coming to a TV series hopefully.

Robert E. Howard>Lovecraft

Muh nuggas. I just ordered these and a few others last week. Should be arriving today or tomorrow.

nice bread Veeky Forums

>Laird Barron

Eight free, non-pirated (i.e., author-approved) Laird Barron stories:
>freesfonline.de/authors/Laird_Barron.html

'Old Virginia' is a good one - real good.

So are 'The Forest,' and 'Blackwood's Baby'.

Yeah those are good ones.

I would say my personal favorite of his is “The Broadsword.”

I finished Carrion Comfort recently and it was a very good read. It has Nazis and "these people with immense psychic powers that could be considered a type of vampire, as they feed off the energy of those they indirectly kill to gain youth and energy" but The Terror is probably still my favorite of his Horror books.

I know, but thanks for the heads up. The Dover edition is not identical with The King in Yellow in terms of contents. It excludes the bohemian romances from TKIY and includes some spooky stories from Chambers's other collections. Cheers from another horror fan.

>Manga does not count
read Junji Ito

Is Kali any good? The description sounded stupid. Also, ever check out Drood?

David Drake, Night & Demons.

Drake, best known for military sci fi, started out writing short horror fiction.

He wrote about half-a-dozen horror stories set in Vietnam, where he served. They have a very cool mood and feel. "Arclight" and "Firefight" are particularly good.

I give the Vietnam stories an A or A-, and the rest of the collection ranges from B- to B+.

It's a good read; will scratch that horror itch.

Here's a review:
>ragnarokpub.com/single-post/2016/02/17/Night-and-Demons-The-Early-Horror-of-David-Drake

>Is Kali any good?
I'd say yes, very atmospheric and haunting at times but definitely not his best.

>Also, ever check out Drood?
Not yet.

>TW Brown Dead: Series

That's looks interesting, Imma check it out.

Read a bunch of zombie books a couple of years ago. Here are the best of the best:

- Flesheaters by Joe McKinney. Houston gets flooded + zombies. At the same time, some bent cops are trying to rob an underwater bank (shades of 'Hard Rain', the movie, which I suspect inspired the subplot). Very comfy book. McKinney knows how to write good, clean prose, has some nicely developed characters, good dialogue, and feel for building suspense.

- Dead City by Joe McKinney. The author is an ex-cop, and he knows cops and police procedure. The opening scene in this - the first 30-odd pages - where the cops roll up on a domestic violence call only to have it descend into night of the living dead, is really nicely done, almost a tour de force. The rest of the book is fast-paced and good, but the opening scene takes the cake.

- Left with the Dead by Stephen Knight. A novella. The best thing I've read by Knight. A suspenseful and moving story of a lone soldier in NYC who tries to save a woman and her child from the encroaching zombie horde.

- Valley of the Dead by Kim Paffenroth, who's an academic who writes zombie fiction in his spare time. This is an inspired take on Dante -- it tells the story of Dante surviving a plague of zombies, "of which Inferno is the interpretation." This is far and away the best written of the books I've listed here, and probably the only one that can fairly be described as " Veeky Forums ". Very good storytelling, rich in situations and characters, and written with a certain stylized gravitas - picture a woodcut landscape like pic related - that makes the whole thing strangely compelling, like a fever dream.

- The Dead by Charlie Higson. Young adult novel where kids and teens face off against zombie-like adults. Great characters, great storytelling. As such, I was really looking forward to the sequel, but it let me down; somewhere the magic dissipated. But this first book in the series is a pleasure to read.

Doesn't matter. Being good doesn't make it /lit.

Can someone answer my Frankenstein question please

It's good throughout, and gets better as the monster gets more sophisticated. It shares next to nothing with its Hollywood counterpart, so it isn't sullied by the pop culture cliche of Frankenstein's monster -- not a whit.

Only Stephen King book to date that has creeped me out

> reading horror
The only way for true spooks is to find them

That Charles Beaumont book is amazing. Clever, brilliant, and funny.

You have good taste in King.

Currently reading this one. Jackson is very good at establishing mood, and her protagonists are loners so it is easily relatable. I highly reccommend We Have Always Lived in the Castle, too.

It's nothing like what Hollywood has produced over the years.

The scene where the count descends the side of the tower still sticks with me five years after I first read it.

It's a very well written book, however, the plot does drag a bit in the middle. Just get through it, it'll be worth your while