Daily reminder that "make due" is correct, NOT "make do."

Daily reminder that "make due" is correct, NOT "make do."

Make do makes no fucking sense. To make due is to make up what is due - to make up the rent that is due, to make up enough food for the next meal, to have the report ready by the due date. To make due.

What the fuck does "make do" mean? Nothing. It's fucking word salad. It is a misspelling that has been around so long that it has been mistaken for correct.

I am sick to fucking death of snot-nosed little shits chiming in over my """mistake,""" and until people can figure this simple fucking thing the fuck out I am just going to have to MAKE DUE despite the headwinds.

Other urls found in this thread:

grammarist.com/usage/make-do-make-due/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Eh, pretentious faggots like you are a diamond dozen. Who cares if it's make do or due

'Make do' means 'make [something] do [a job you need done, in loo of the usual thing that does the job]'.

It's transformed from literal to idomatic. That's how language works and there's dozens of other examples of that shift in our language.

Consider the following typical phrase that could easily be said by just about anyone today.
"We don't have the spare diesel generator on hand, but we will have to make do without it."

Now consider the following:
"We don't have the spare diesel generator on hand, but we will have to make due without it."

Which makes more sense? The latter, obviously. You can butcher the first one into making sense by saying
"We don't have the spare diesel generator on hand, but we will have to make what we have do the job without it," sure, or you could just go with "We don't have the spare diesel generator on hand, but we will have to make up what's due without it."

Make due is correct.

But make do and make due aren't even pronounced the same way

Without further adieu, I due declare that you are an idiot.

>in loo
You got me.

I actually agree with this. "Make do with nothing" makes no sense given what seems to be its expansion, whereas "make due with nothing" is totally fine.

He's correct in that instance but "we'll have to make it do," is a different kettle of fish.

"Make it do" and "make do" are different things though. I think he's right as far as what he's specifically referring to.

>in loo

>in loo

"make do" is by far superior and more reasonable. I will NOT use your prescriptivist trash, thank you.

In fact, you can use either, they both work (though "make due" is far narrower and nondescript, while "make do" has a broader and instantly known range of applications). So who cares, stop being autistic. This is the nature of language, it is not a logical system, set in stone.

it's called an idiom
language evolves

>Make due
The librarian edited the check-out ledger to make due books that hitherto were not.

>in loo

interesting, "make due" is on the rise again while "make do" is losing popularity

You make a vapid point, good sir. What can be dead dudes from this is the fact that our views and principals regarding language are consonantly evolving. The disgustion hit-her-too makes me wander what the future of the English language will look like.

I am not that person But thank you about the loo thing

English grammar isn't ideal, but you have to make do with it anyway.

You're a cheeky cunt son.

i'm defiantly sure that it's "make do"

make do [without something]

grammarist.com/usage/make-do-make-due/

wa la

More important than this is the fact that people are writing "could of" or "should of" instead of "could have" or "should have". That is the real tragedy.

>tfw it's too late and 'til has been fully replaced by a cash register

Linguistic prescriptivism is stupid in general. In English it's indefensible. There is no, like, platonic ideal form of English. Common usage is all we have to go by.

*jock dorito steps in*
yo its jock dorito

If I ever saw someone type that out I'd slap the apostrophe v-e out of them

make do = get by
are you retarded? they're completely different phrases

*will look alike

>fucking tweeb.

Miriam-Webster ways OP is a fag

et supra
OP's not acknowledging the mistake. Probably a joke in the first place since the graph contradicts it anyway

Make due = get by as well, and it makes a lot more sense.