What is Veeky Forums's experience with e-reader? How do they compare to actual books...

What is Veeky Forums's experience with e-reader? How do they compare to actual books? I am considering picking up a kindle but feel that I miss the feeling of physical books

Love it, its just an led plasma- screen as your monitor, but with artificial ink or something. This device is a plastic that you can touch and smell it(if you want). The "feeling" of books is just an emotional attach that i dont care.
Theres an study that claims that you wouldnt remmember stuff if you dont read it for a book because of "spacial" structure meme that only have many pages. I never read those kind of experience and i dont particulary have it. It could be true, you should just focus on this.
I have the regular one, ~50$(refurished), works perfectly fine. Used of 3 years. Its little and i have almost 500 books that probably never gonna read. Books are expensive, so if you buy this you could save money to buy the ones that you like.

This. Also great for dipping into books you wouldn't normally read without sacrificing shelf space. Allows one to be more discernible about what they collect.

Just got my kindle paperwhite 30 mins ago

Pretty cool, it'll take some getting used to since the android app has a MUCH more intuitive UI, but I think I'll enjoy the battery life and lack of distractions

this is the sort of writing to be expected from an e-reader-only sort of guy

I experience the meme about spatial structure of the book or whatever so I don't prefer e-readers. I've always kinda remembered things this way anyway, like with history textbooks I'd remember where on the pages the info was and stuff, so it could just be bad for me. I also like flipping back and forth a bit to remind me of stuff. And I'm vain and like seeing my physical books and makes me more motivated to read them rather than download and never read, like 80% of the books on my e-reader

I use it in bed most of the time. The biggest reason I read using a kindle paperwhite over normal paper is the nice light and the lightness and thin form factor make for easy holding in bed.

I use my tablet to read at night in bed. Put background black and words light gray and it is top comfy

I get the spacial structure thing too, but I found it works well enough with ebooks too if you're very familiar with the book and the app you're using. You get an intuitive sense of what is where, though I imagine its alot easier to access this with a physical book.

How are e-readers for foreign books, assuming you are learning that language? I guess what I'm asking is how helpful are the built-in dictionaries?

A lot better than reading pdfs on a desktop screen.

I love my Kindle because I get 99.9% of my books for free, mostly from newsgroups. I got tired of holding it in my hand so I bought a iPhone holder that attaches to my chair. Enjoy.

Are there any e-readers recommended by Veeky Forums?
The nook seems nice and cheap.
Also there was an infograph about "How to get the most of your e-reader"

Several years back I got myself the original Nook, not backlit.

Best purchase ever, for 100 dollars i have access to every single book I want. No need to jailbreak.

Buy an e-reader, for sure, just make sure it is not a Kindle.

Stupid question but what's wrong with Kindle exactly?

It's amazing to help learn a language, but only if you already have a certain level.

nothing. he's an anti-amazon shill.

>how helpful are the built-in dictionaries?
i love them. my fav feature, but i'm not learning a new language. on paperwhite, at home, i can connect directly to wikipedia

i've got a paperwhite. been able to get a lot of books for it but it's nowhere near as immersive as reading from a real book. it's great for travelling but at home i rarely use it.

also, i've been able to get a lot of books but most of the more niche ones i'm interested are hard to get in the right format... if you're getting one, get a kobo.

STILL WAITING FOR MY $50 KOBO GLO.

I heard it's harder to pirate books with a kindle than a kobo glo hd, is this true?

It has some creepy strings attached that 99.8% will not amount to anything, but it still makes some people uneasy. They can alter your books, they've got ads and if you don't want ads you gotta pay extra (even if they're not obtrusive, still, who the fuck sells a physical product and an ad-free version of it with a price bump). There's also concerns about privacy

not even a little bit
pdfs, maybe

Not true. It's actually easier for me on kindle because I can send books through email.

They're great for reading out because it's easy to bring along. It's also great for reading in bed with the backlight. It still doesn't compare to a physical book in some ways, but I do love it for non-fiction.

I heard that Kindle doesn't support a lot of formats. Is there a program that converts them into usable formats?
>alter your books
That might trigger my autism.

You can easily convert epubs to mobi format with Calibre. It only takes a few seconds. It is, however, another annoying extra step.

>Is there a program that converts them into usable formats?
calibre- which I suggest downloading anyway, for convenience, or plenty of online conversion sites.