How is this called in literary theory?

How is this called in literary theory?

Shit.

metafiction & self-insertion

shit.

The Greeks did shit like this all the time. Its not the premise that makes a book bad.

>metafiction & self-insertion

Thank you very much, user.

The Greeks did this all the time in wich works?

All those heroes they glorified and had Gods doing things to save them.

That isnt meta, I think you misunderstood.

The correct term is pretentious writing.

Surely there is a good and elegant way of doing it. I don't think any literary device is bad or pretentious in and on itself.

I just really don't like when writing isn't genuine. He thinks he is being clever so that he can make money off his novels.

>implying

Yeah, I understand what you mean. I personally have not encountered it myself, but maybe there is some case in which the work itself asks for this device.

And I am not defending King btw

what a daring stance to take, user

Great example, but Cervantes did this in a meaningful way. Alonso collected books and he had one by Cervantes, forgot its name. He inserted himself in his plays as a soldier and he appears as one of the captives.
In the second volume of Quijote, they encounter the author of the apocryphal quixote, this all made sense within the narrative's structure and plot.

Vonnegut did that with Mother Night, but in a more subtle way

>implying

How about Dante then.

Kingian masturtypatory fiction

It was done in Breakfast of Champions in an unsubtle way, but still good.

Paul Auster has done it at least twice, once in New York Trilogy and once in Travels in the Scriptorium (except he calls himself John Trause in that one.)

Dante was fanfic garbage.

>when you realise Nael was the tiger all along

Edgy and not even correct.

Mo Yan did it in Life and Death are Wearing Me Out and the one about the cannibals.

>Nael delights in the tiger escaping not because he is sympathetic but because the caged tiger is a metaphor for his own condition under societal constraints
>when he finally sheds his chains he is seen by everyone around him as a dangerous beast

Nael's gnostic influence in palpable in this masterpiece

>not getting the Evola meme

I believe the term d'art among scribes is, and please forgive me if I am unfortunately mistaken, "bad writing."

Die Untermensch!!!
Glenn Gould deserves a bigger mythos honestly.