Post Veeky Forums things from videogames or Veeky Forums games in general...

Post Veeky Forums things from videogames or Veeky Forums games in general. Also comparisons of the quality of the literary achievements of X games compared to actual books

youtube.com/watch?v=pcsi3hU-rX8

Starting the thread with link related since the Amnesia games are currently free on PS+

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3EtByaOxiwE
youtube.com/watch?v=4Tl2xZKpHWU
gamejolt.com/games/gingiva/17758
withaterriblefate.com/2015/11/13/video-game-structural-aesthetics-why-the-beginners-guide-is-masterfully-confusing/#_ftnref4
store.steampowered.com/app/435530/The_Final_Station/
youtube.com/watch?v=uqcPSbkS9TQ
youtube.com/watch?v=gQSe4kry0RA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This isn't going to end well. Go to Veeky Forums for an actual thread.

Silent Hill 2 is genuinely something that would probably be praised as one of the best works of all time had it been a book or a movie instead, as it stands it will never leave the "stigma" of being just a game when instead it should be having the opposite effect

Then again, if it was a book, the visuals would obviously suffer from being simply communicated rather than shown

youtube.com/watch?v=3EtByaOxiwE

Just posting not only the most Veeky Forums but in general the best moment in Star Wars, easily beating even the most iconic I am your father scene

Pretty good adaptation of some of Poe's works. Play as the protagonist or the antagonist in the stories.

Anyone played Pathologic?

>SIlent Hill 2
>Kotor 2
>MGS2
Interesting pattern.

Also, while Neverwinter Nights 2 is very safe and genre-conforming, it's expansion Mask of the Betrayer is up their with the previous 3 mentioned.

Machine for Pigs is a bit like House of Leaves if you're being generous, I guess. More like what Veeky Forums thinks of Rupi Kaur though if you're being real. Amnesia: Dark Descent was good though. Pretty immersive take on living through a Lovecraft novel.

Bioshock == Ayn Rand

There was a videogame adaptation of I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream that had a rather good reading of AM's initial tirade.

I dunno, usually when I play games I intend to have experiences that couldn't have been done better in another medium, but that isn't really the intent of the vast majority of the videogame industry.

Explain why people think Silent Hill 2 is so good. I played it recently and it was decent, but it seems way overrated

explained in a blunt and low effort way its the quintessential white everymans burden horror story

James takes his cancer ridden wife home from the hospital and murders her out of pent up sexual frustration and disgust and then drives to silent hill to kill himself

youtube.com/watch?v=4Tl2xZKpHWU

People think its good because it is. The designs and symbolism is immaculate (just look at something like pyramid head), the sound design of the game is amazing and the story is simply interesting, relatable and explores the human condition in a way that goes beyond most of the cheaper cases of it in horror

People meme about it being related to Heart of Darkness because they haven't read it. Spec Ops is genuinely one of the most interesting genre deconstructions I've seen and there's nothing funnier how it manages to completly piss people off.

I'd almost describe it as an infinitely smarter and better Funny Games, 'cept it actually has a genuine narrative rather than being a postmodern fart.

Isn't it funny how every single quality vidya narrative (Amnesia: Machine for Pigs, SOMA, Silent Hill 2, Spec Ops: The Line, LISA, The Last of Us) is about self destructive men? I guess that's the most interesting narrative you can do with violent gameplay?

>triangle with arms
>immaculate

the symbolism extends deeper than the visuals of the design, but the visuals of the pyramid head are supposed to imply a heavy burden with the giant cleaver and pyramid and constant torment due to its sharp edges

Id say its one of the best designs in horror and it could have been far worse since some of their original ideas were simply to have a humanoid with its head covered somehow

>Bioshock
There was an abandoned proposal some years back for a Kafka themed one. Bioshock Justice.

>every single
Nah, but most

Davey Wreden's work is great.
Kairo
The Talos Principle almost hits it
The Void
Rain World
Hylics
and of course, the Supreme Art Game (tm) Pathologic

>LISA
Glad to see this mentioned. Brad's story is one of the most depressing character arcs I've experienced in a medium.

>tfw his name changes over and over in Lisa the Joyful :(

I know a series influenced by Joyce, T.S. Eliot, Tolkien, Shakespeare, Lovecraft, Joseph Campbell, etc.

Lots of indie games are inspired by modernists, and Lovecraft isn't particularly interesting. Who the fuck isn't influenced by tolkien and Shakespeare you retard?

Name one game that's inspired by all those authors I listed. Waiting.

Well i didn't say a lot of games were inspired by all of them, but okay

Bloodborne, Hylics, Goblet Grotto, Middens

Bioshock is more a criticism towards Ayn Rand and objectivism.

I have no mouth was pretty good also AM was actually read by Harlan Ellison.

Pathologic is more Veeky Forums than lit. Although playing it will make you want to shit because of how stressful it can get.

Gingiva is a philosophical psychedelic free indie game
gamejolt.com/games/gingiva/17758

I don't really care about videogames and I haven't played one in many years, but I've been thinking about playing this one. It looks very interesting.

Oh yeah, that's right! Knew there was a reason it stood out in my mind.

>I don't really care about videogames and I haven't played one in many years
Sorry for being off-topic here, but why are you here in the first place if you don't actively care about games?

Wannabe kino but it had an alright ending.

First Nier and Drakengard 1 we're far more compelling.

I came to see if anyone mentioned Pathologic and to see what people who actually read think about it. Playing a videogame is a big compromise of time and I'm still on the fence about it.

I'd have liked Pathologic if the game design wasn't drunk slav tier, it's definitely a thoughtful and layered game.

But, maybe that's why they're remaking it.

Silent Hills shtick to design monsters and encounters as symbols of character's fears and inner struggle is great. It reminds me of actual real life mythes and legends, where supernatural adversaries are often metaphors for some real life hardship, just with a darker twist.

See, I really like Funny Games but hate Spec Ops The Line. I see what it's doing, but I just hated to play it and, like Funny Games, didn't think it was exceptionally clever in the end. Funny Games is at least enjoyable in some weird version of the word.

I thought it looked neat, but I've tried playing it many many times over the past few years only to get bored and stopping. How do I into pathologic? I really want to enjoy it but I think I'm missing something.

>You made me happy.
;___;

Spec Ops was good but the gameplay was too bland and the 4th wall bits left too many holes in how the story is to be interpreted, and the choices the game give you are pretty mild compared to what the game forces you to do.

Try the demo for the remake/sequel they're doing if you have a good system. The original was a god-tier idea executed poorly. The new one looks like it will be a better fit.

read a spoiler free guide on steam.

>the Supreme Art Game
ah, the esteem'd title!

It's not my favorite, but its the one, I guess. Kairo is the closest to poetry the medium has gotten, and Davey Wreden's work is the end-game for self-aware po-mo (especially the 4-5 layer narrative that is The Beginner's Guide).

I don't get the masturbatory cult following spec ops has. when it came out nobody talked about it, and it was a commericial flop. it's nice that it's been gaining some traction, but people are toting it like a masterpiece of storytelling because of le ebic twist on le genre xd.

it's just okay.

>Post /v/ related things from movies
>Post wood carving related things from music
>Post literature related things on a Chinese cartoon forum
Fuck off

rupi kaur: the game

Can agree about The Beginner's Guide. I don't know what else you could do, that thing goes deep into narrative layers.

Yeah, I'm especially interested in how it borrows from sculpture and film, lately. I've got to stop staring at that game. You know any other 'pretentious' games like it? I've been looking but haven't found one.

Nothing that has anything of note to say or show, sadly. The Beginner's Guide is really unique.

the stanley parable is far less obnoxious and more innovative imo

I haven't played it, but from what I do know about it and what it talks about it just doesn't seem all that interesting compared to the Beginner's Guide.

Other TBG dude here. I get why people feel that way, but I don't think I could really explain why I think you're wrong without writing an essay on what it does differently. The narrator is one part, but every single element of the game comes together in way that (i think) is substantial. The easiest thing to point to is the 'blue/white' motif as being representative of transcendence and sterility, or in the "Online Notes" level, the beginning camera makes you look up and backward to the only window in the instance.

this dude is studied. I take his word.

Thanks, it may seem a little overboard, but I hope to get an academic paper out of the design choices and narrative structure, specifically his use of sparse 'game-mechanics' to show specific narrative aims. Much like Braid but on a more varied and nuanced level.

No I totally get it. I always knew that someone was going to publish something about TBG.

Got this from ps+ too, a little afraid to play it though. Especially since you can only really play it at night.

This dude does a pretty good job with the narration part
withaterriblefate.com/2015/11/13/video-game-structural-aesthetics-why-the-beginners-guide-is-masterfully-confusing/#_ftnref4

>Amnesia: Machine for Pigs,

machine for pigs wasnt a quality narrative though, it simply had a few decent ideas and some pretty well written dialogue

OoT really did the Hero's Journey a good favour, there's not many games that capture it so well

>no mentions of GTA despite it being closest to perfect vidya and parodying not just Murica but the gaymers themselves to a degree Bioshock or Spec

Elder Scrolls had immense, untapped potential for the medium. You catch a glimpse of what it could have been in Morrowind (an imperfect rendition) with educated and talented writing

The Ballad of Gay Tony was unironically kino.

Step aside, peasants.

This. It's even based on Crime and Punishment and has a lot of references to horror authors

Not a lot of people know about him, but I love Jack King Spooner's games, they're like a mixture of Naked Lunch and Gravity's Rainbow if you don't mind me meming for a sec

Lisa, The Painful RPG

I wholeheartedly agree. Nobody listens to me when I tell them to play KotOR.

Recently played this and i loved it.
Anyone can recommend similar books?

The best novel you'll ever play.

"Blindsight" by Peter Watts was an inspirational source for the game's narrative as I recall.

please don't post this abomination ever again

Sheik is quite poetic.

neck yourself
It really shouldve been a book, the dogshit gameplay only takes away from the great story.
Same goes for

Planescape is shit, it's an absolute pleb trap (only the most philistine of serfs are ensnared).
It's the Hitchhiker's guide of video games, written by a team of proto-redditors enamoured by Douglas Adam's inane vomit-novel. You're filth. You're not worthy of posting here, leave and never return, and never reply to me. You are not worthy of anonymous association with me.

didnt read lmao

Imma reply to you, tho.

>You are not worthy of anonymous association with me.
Thank fuck, you saved me some time. I'm sure your dad carried the same sentiment with you, too, even if your mom unfortunately carried you to term.

People are baiting calling it shit, but it genuinely is incredibly overrated and not al lthat well written at all. The dialogues are incredibly stilted, the plot is a complete mess (especially the third act which everyone conveniently forget about) and none of the characters save for the main one and Dak'kon are all that compelling nor have much depth.

It's a very interesting premise and the arc for the main characters is excellent, but almost everything else is middling hoshposh to outright bad.

Well firstly it's one of the few video games ever made with something to actually tell, and that number gets even smaller when you only count the ones who do it competently (bye Kojima). The pacing is absolutely fantastic, the characters main arc is absolutely well handled and the way it tackles its deconstruction is incredibly clever. Other than that it's very well written, well acted, well produced and is a genuine one-of-a-kind in video games, and managed to perform that expertly.

How important is completing all the routes to understanding the game? I only completed the bachelor route and I couldn't bring myself to play the others since while I enjoy the atmosphere and themes, the gameplay just really puts me off.

A bunch of my friends recommend this year's Nier Automata for being a unique game-story, but I just think playing it sucks and it is grueling to force myself to play. Anyone think that game has an exceptional story, "literary merit"?

Fuck off back to /v/. Do you see people there making threads such as "Which is the most /v/ book?" or "Which is the "the Republic" of video games?"

You pests are annoying.

You see people there making "What's the most kino game" or "What's the IJ of video games". So YOU fuck off bitch.

They also have music threads

I'm not sure but it felt Veeky Forums
store.steampowered.com/app/435530/The_Final_Station/

>visual novels

I'm never falling for the JOPs lies ever again

lol Subahibi is pleb shit.
It's horribly uninteresting beyond the existential themes that even the VN says everyone knows.

Don't know if they're Veeky Forums but the only games I've played that I know are heavily inspired by books are Assassin's Creed (Alamut by Vladimir Bartol) and Bioshock (Ayn Rand).

Have any of you played this? Great setting, and it involves lots of reading.

>Which is the most /v/ book?
I always loved the video games, and have been playing them longer than I've been reading. (I was a victim of the American school system) I'm always thinking of ways video games and literature can intersect. For the past month or two I've been thinking of proposing this board put together reading lists based on popular video games. For example, literature that is a direct influence or tangentially related to Bloodborne since most of /v/ loves Bloodborne.

Normally I would say a that a thread like this would belong on /v/, but that board is so overrun with idiotic children that it would not make for good conversation.

At the very least I wish more popular games would have tie-in novels. Back when I was in the World of Warcraft I like to reading the tie-in novels. Not only because it gave me more stories set in a fictional world I liked but give me greater contacts when I was playing the game. I honestly believe Silent Hill would be better suited to literature than cinema. Unlike other horror franchises Silent Hill was always at its best when it was about someone being stuck in thar personal hell.

>since most of /v/ loves Bloodborne.

good joke, most of /v/ is full of third world PC clowns that cant stop shitting on bloodborne because its only on PS4.

Bloodborne is the most Veeky Forums game of the last two generations though and it far succeeds its influences in terms of depth and quality

best game ever unironically

If Zelda is the best game ever, video games have a long way to go

video games indeed suck, but OOT is still the best video game ever

go back to memeddit

>most of /v/ is full of third world PC clowns that cant stop shitting on bloodborne because its only on PS4.
has /v/ gotten that bad? I know it got worse after gamergate but I haven't been there much sense so this is a shock to me. Is there any place on the internet where I can discuss electronic games with intelligent people? Threads like this are very interesting to me but I admit they don't belong here. I still think putting together reading lists based on what's hot in pop culture would make for a good project for this board.

I think Ocarina of Time Is good but I also think it aged poorly. It's worth playing more as a museum piece then on its own merits. I think Majora's Mask is a much more interesting game and Super Mario 64 held up much better overall.

Yeah MM is the more interesting game, OoT is just fun. Lotta brainless dicksucking over it.

It's like a postmodern novel.

Super Mario 64 is the only game in existence that should be considered a work of art.
youtube.com/watch?v=uqcPSbkS9TQ

Agreed. GTA is probably even the biggest franchise in existence that doesn't receive fierce backlash from contrarians solely due to its popularity. The series is that good. And the more you look into it, the more the love that's put into the games reveals itself.

Masterpiece coming through.

youtube.com/watch?v=gQSe4kry0RA

That doesn't make them interesting games, or games with exceptional ludonarrative practices. Good games though...

>ludonarrative practices
???