Cultured vegetables

>Cultured vegetables
>Umami
>Hand-cut fries
>"Earthy Flavour"
>Putting salt on food before tasting it.

Dude I smoke. It's not gonna be salty enough.

>Umami and earthy flavors are memes

Whaddya know, a bong who doesn't understand flavor profile

>rustic

you can just say savory instead of resorting to meme words

Umami describes a much more specific subset of savory and therefore more precise. A steak is savory, but not necessarily umami. It's like the inuit who had 20+ terms for snow because that kind of precision could be the difference between life and death. Just because you're unable to grasp linguistic precision doesn't mean the rest of the world is retarded.

sorry big guy it directly translates to savory. looks like you're in the wrong here

>Hand-cut fries
i wish this were half the meme you think it is because i'm fucking sick of nasty mealy frozen fries

steaks are definitely considered umami you dingus

>Putting 4 (four) tsp of sugar into a cappuccino

>truffle oil on fries

literally useless

Umami just means savory. Crawl out of your own ass, hipster faggot.

I just watched a pubmate put eleven (11) sugar cubes in his cup of coffee. A half full cup of coffee. Fucking retirees.

Yes, english is less precise. A turkey pot pie is savory, but not umami unless it specifically contains umami ingredients. The japanese language has a word for savory different from umami. Some people aren't sloppy with language usage and value precision. Some people also don't get their white nationalist panties ruffled because english doesn't have a word describing umami. Hate to have had to btfo you guys so badly, but there it is.

>savory
Spoken like a true bong

>A turkey pot pie is savory, but not umami unless it specifically contains umami ingredients.

There has never been a pot pie without umami flavor. That's literally impossible to make.

The translation isn't particularly relevant if the word has a well understood connotation that distinguishes it.
Additionally, translations are rarely one-to-one. The reason the translation of umami is "savory" is the very reason we use umami as a word in the west. It's because there is no way of concisely capturing the actual meaning of the word, and the best we can do is provide a similar word.

But it does have umami flavors. You're having a terribly difficult time naming a savory dish without umami, aren't you?

>I don't know what youmommy is but I'll argue with you about it anyway :^)

It's a basic taste, it's present to some extent in lots of different foods. It's not restricted to things like anchovies and parmesan, it's just particularly strong in those items.

If you make anything with meat, it will have at least some umami (savory) flavor.

Whats wrong with the word savory? Does it not fit into your autistic need for exotic nuwords which mean nothing?

it's savory
stop being a fucking fedora

>i have no argument so i better call him reddit then i win, heh, heh

basically this
the term umami came about because a nip isolated the specific class of compounds that trigger particular taste receptors

also, I've never seen anyone actually use the dictionary definition of savory (salty/spicy but not sweet), it usually gets used like meaty or brothy