Stack Thread

Post what you got recently, or what you're planning in reading next.

Got all this for around 6 dollars.

>Flaubert - Salammbô
>Gorbachev - Perestroika
>Twain - A Murder, a Mystery and a Marriage
>Brazilian Poetry
>Augusto de Azevedo - Selected Tales
>Fitzgerald - Tender is the Night
>Bitov - Pushkin House
>D.H. Lawrence - Mr. Noon

Never heard of Artur, say smthing about him

smthing about him

>Artur*
Sorry, was thinking of someone else.
Havent read anything by him before.

Some of these acquisitions are from last month. It's a German edition of Albrecht Dürer's complete graphic works in the background. Planning to get The Recognitions by William Gaddis as well

>Robin Hobb - Ship of Magic
>Neil Gaiman - American Gods
>Philip Dick - an omnibus of his works
>Stephen King - Insomnia
>Koji Suzuki - Spiral

There's a big book sale going on in my town for the next few weekends, each day the prices for everything go down a little. Picked these up today.

Recently read the quran, ancient rome, explaining pomo, history of western philosophy, and some rousseau. Reading hegel now, gonna read aquinas and kant next, then city of god and mahomet

really?
Was interested in the book and that's the lame immature response I got

Is that a good version of City of God?

I read it a couple years ago, but it was abridged and left out parts that sounded interesting. Does that version of it leave out anything?

Nothing immature. We're all adults.

Seems like a good version, haven't really gotten into it yet. Definitely not abridged, it's ~1100 pages.

Alright, I'll have to pick that version up when I'm ready to reread it.

currently reading these.

Nice finds, user!

Help me decide my dudes. Should I go fiction or nonfiction route?

Shut the FUCK up! You're not going to read them, why aren't you posting a different stack of books you're not going to read next time? You've been spamming this trash stack for 2 months

This month's buys

what are those mag books? looks polish

My first stack thread post.
Got back into reading now I'm done with college. Got all these books for $24.

dammit forgot to include democracy in america, which was part of the $24

Salammbo is the last Flaubert you should read.

Silverberg - Nightwings
Priest - Inverted World
Tepper - Grass

They're from a very nice series of classic sci-fi releases. Cool handdrawn cover artwork, integrated fabric bookmarks etc. Those 3 were the last ones I needed to complete the collection, next ones will be released in 2018.

take a pic of your collection user

You're lucky that I love the feel of handling those, otherwise I wouldn't bother with anything more than a blurry, dark shots of them sitting on the shelf.
1/4

2/4

Who am I kidding, those photos are blurry anyways
3/4

I really need a better camera for book collection shots
4/4

Someone is trying to shine shit pulp scifi too much.

Why is that?

Picked these up recently for quite cheap

>inb4 I've been memed.

>brand spanking new copy of dale carnegie
i don't know which I hate more, self help authors or the retards who enable those cunts

looks cool user, which is your favorite?

You kinda have, those books can easily be acquired without having to buy them.

yeah but the greeks are a good meme, wouldn't read the self help though

Cover-wise, Mockingbird by Walter Tevis. Contents-wise, either Hyperion, or Brunner's Shockwave Rider. Haven't read all 12 yet though.

Bump.

what book should I read to learn better Spanish, I am a beginner but I'd like to read something somewhat challenging. Thanks user

Novelas Ejemplares

Good stack, but I would have bought busted up 2nd hand versions of all of those books for max $2 each, except for mythology

>Ancient Sorceries and other Weird Stories-Algernon
>Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard
>The Dark Eidolon and Other Fantasies-Smith
>Trilogy of Mars-Burroughs
>Perchance to Dream-Beaumont
>The White People and Other Weird Stories-Machen
>Tarzan of the Apes-Burroughs
>Novels of Jack London
>Complete works of Sophocles/Arisophanes/Euripides
>7 Novels of Jules Verne
>Ubik/The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch/A Scanner Darkly/The Man in the High Castle-Dick
>Complete Fiction of Lovecraft
>Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass-Carrol

A handful I've already read but they were lent out or damaged. I enjoyed Poe and Lovecraft way back in highschool so decided to travel further down that vein.

schirmer's are great

Thanks. On the last day of the fair they'll let you fill up a whole shopping bag full of books for a dollar so I'll probably pick up some more goodies then. The selection probably won't be as good but I hope there's still gonna be some decent stuff.

I've always heard Schirmer's is popular only because of how cheap they are, but you're right, all the prints I have are actually really nice.

Recent

Sorry, I know this isn't really the thread to ask this but I didn't want to make my own just to ask a question like this.

Do books exist where its just the author rambling about life and their own thoughts? Not an autobiography, because an autobiography implies it has some sort of timeline to historical events. I'm also not talking about a book on an authors thoughts regarding a specific subject matter like writing, or programming, or world war 2. I'm also not referring to a structured story. Do books exist where its just the author writing about life and his beliefs. I guess Plato's the Republic fits into this category but I don't know if any sort of commercial literature exists like this. If I was writing this type of book where would I submit it?

A picturesque display user. Why Recognitions?

>Neil Gaiman - American Gods
Abridged or unabridged? Either way, AG's main plot is inferior to the interactions Shadow has with the gods. There are very comfy winter scenes too. Overall, it's not bad.
>Philip Dick - an omnibus of his works
I'm thinking of Dick myself.
>Stephen King - Insomnia
I've heard it is one of his worst books, good luck if so.

I'm envious of the pinecones, will you be reading all of ISOLT?

I never enjoyed reading Dubliners, how are you finding it?

Dude, it's bait.

W
H
Y
?

Good picks, that's a nice copy of Catch-22. What is the 4th book from the bottom?

Good buys user.

Moby Dick can be dry at times.

Sounds like you want a manifesto? Meditations, maybe?

As someone who primarily reads history and biographies, I am enjoying Moby Dick at the moment. Although I am only ~80 pages in.

not sure where to start

pleb

Start by burning all of it except The Art of The Deal and Nietzsche.

>caring about ghostwritten biographies

>Drumpf
You must guzzle a lot of cum.

you're not getting any more karma than this, sorry

>karma
What?

today's library picks
>Apollonius of Tyana by G.R.S. Mead
>Call for the Dead by le Carre
>Torrents of Spring by Hem
>Meditations (re-read)
returned Weiniger's Sex and Character or the little of it that's been translated into finnish

Got my hands on these three recently.
From top to bottom:
>Ferenc Tőkei: Sketches on Chinese literature
>Stanislaw Lem: The Cyberiad (This one was a gift)
>Richard Aczel: How to write an essay?

Op here. Got a few more.

This is what I read over the weekend.

How does it feel to know that men exist who are far more intelligent than you? Like seriously way smarter than you are?

Does it bother you that people like me in this world are constantly engrossed in high level intellectual concepts that you literally don't have the mental bandwidth to conceive of? Even as I write this my brain is consumed with ideas that you can't possibly fathom by the nature of your limited brain capacity.

You people seriously disgust me.

slow down dude, it's not a race.

>the idiot
>walden

The only good poet that Brazil had was Drummond. The rest is just a bunch of fedora tippers, in a matter or fact I'm a little ashamed that my interest on brazillian literature is almost inexistent, given that I live in this shithole for 27 years.

The only good writers that I could think of is Machado de Assis, Carlos Drummond de Andrade and Rubem Fonseca. Thank god that foreign literature isn't that expensive in here.

I remember your unboxing thread. Do another when you get more books.

Huh, to think that a pile of future excrementum can really think that high of himself.

Ever read Guimarães Rosa? Hes my favourite.

Hey Lem is my favorite, I'll check that one out. Hope you enjoy it!

Hawking

Picked these up for just 14 euros earlier today

that brazilian poetry collection is poor and flat.
also
>editora globo

There are a few more good authors. Guimarães Rosa, for exemple, has a worthy body of work.

Burn Joyce, throw away the rest.

Are you mentally deficient?

that chopin playbook is gr8

Nice Stack threads

Snagged all these from Value Village (Canadian Goodwill, don't know if my non-leaf bros have Value Village desu).

Each was $2.99 (a few clearly incorrectly), with a few deals to boot. Buy 4 get 1 free, and 50% off. On top of that, I had a 30% off coupon, that they STILL let me use even on top of the other promotions.

Grand total: $8.79 leaf bucks (About 7 USD)

I go there too. Amazing bunch you got there. House of leaves, The corrections and The pale king are amazing novels.

r8 my birthday haul, lads

>Stephen King next to Hegel

Gotta mix it up, man! And post here when you're done with the Erikson, I still haven't read a thing of his to date and been meaning to check him out

from a library sale last weekend

shut the fuck up

Takes too long to take a pic and crop it.

>Received
Origins of Totalitarianism, Arendt
Evolution of Civilizations, Quigley

>Ordered
Divine Comedy
The Epic of Gilgamesh
Thus Spake Zarathustra, Nietzsche
The Western Canon, Bloom

>Reading
A History of Religious Ideas vol. 3, Eliade

>Next
Maps of Meaning, Peterson

That is a really great stack, and an absolute steal for only $8.

Las ediciones en español de esos libros son de las peores. Busque Cátedra o Gredos.

I want to read all of ISOLT, but since it's so long, I'll probably start reading that last after all the other books I own. What Pinecone editions do you have?

Currently reading journey to end of the night from Céline

thicc

Liable to soonest consumption. I'm on an Anarchism/Marxism kick. I'd avoided them all 'till recently, not intentionally. Got out of academia and thought I'd expose myself to viewpoints not considered in my curriculum.

Got these yesterday. Probably starting Stone first from these, but The Boarding House sounds fun as well.
15USD for the lot, just wish the library stickers weren't on the four since they're nice editions

I fucking love how many beautiful editions I can buy in this city for just about nothing. The library store is a favorite stomping ground of mine. If I'd all the money in the world, I'd create a university library, immerse myself in study, and work to build an institution of learning and construction with brilliant minds as I can find them. I can probably still do all of this, I simply cannot figure out what I wish to study yet. I'm also convinced I need real world experience, and I'm not sure what in.

I've recently purchased one of those beautiful, leather-bound cumworthy volumes of Candide for $5. Everything else... I've got a similar edition of The Trial for $1, a complete works of Wilde for $2, E.E. Cummings for $1, etc. I love living in a town with 6 locally-owned bookstores and a fucking library store to boot.

Asheville, NC. Btw.

And what I meant by was "good haul". I probably won't get through anything like, but I'm excited about my bullshit. I'm going through a "STUDY CROWD BEHAVIOR AND LINGUISTICS" phase. Also, I need a good book on the history and thought of the USSR, preferably from the advent of Marxism to the end of Gorbachev, though I'd be happy with something that goes before and after. U'know? I'd also like something that deals with the meaning and creation of money from a few different perspectives, likely a textbook of some sort.

I'm this fucker btw. I'm reading VALIS right now, and it's bringing me right back into my "studying mysticism and comparative religion" days. I _love_ this book. Only on page 62 though.

Thus far, in VALIS, Dick seems to be giving an excellent portrayal of a mental breakdown, shredding reality and mixing its fragments together with self-supporting pieces of evidence, creating wonderfully logical and mystical arguments which support theories which may accurately describe an affair with the ineffable universe over which this one is superimposed, and the impotence of grasping at such understandings, the thrashings of a mind unable to reconcile the many aspects of existence with one another.

Thoughts on the book? Anyone? Should I just go make a VALIS thread?

My Struggle by Knausgard
The Rings of Saturn or Austerlitz by W.G. Sebald

>those disgusting shoes

Whatever, Mozart.

Are you?

Professional hack reporting in.

>buying books.
Kek

>borrowed

Mythology by Edith Hamilton
The History of the Peloponnesian by Thucydides
The Brother Karamazov.

Start? By throwing it all out. It's all crap.

I'd be gasping for a Carl Hiaasen after that lot.

All this for $5 at a book fair that benefits my local symphony orchestra. I've been meaning to read some of these for a long while.

I hate so much the Americans and their cheap books.

Yes, I'm only jealous actually.

Arendt is kino as fuck.
Only worthwhile political philosopher of the past 100 years.