/bread/

Do you hand knead or use a machine?

my knees

I buy it at Lidl.

I'm french so I eat baguette.

my hands are machines

>tfw new kitchenAid attachment for hook hand came in

Depends on the kind of bread I'm making tbqh. I'll use my machine for sticky slops like potato or brioche. I'll use my hands for wet slops like high hydration sourdough or dry slops like anadama or pain de mie

>baguette
Funny way to spell kebab. Somalian is a weird language

neither, i do stretch and folds instead of kneading.

that's kneading

Depends on what I'm making and how dense I want it to be. Typically I hand knead. I like to use a no-bowl method when I make dough. If I'm making a ton of dough for like calzones that I'll freeze, or if I'm baking en masse for a charity, I'll use a dough hook in the kitchenaid, while also hand kneading, so I can do 2 batches at once. That will last until I run out of bowls to proof in. At that point it's back to hand method as bowls and oven space becomes available.

it's different than traditional kneading, but i guess you could consider it a form of kneading.

Slap and fold is superior

i've tried it and it's fine. i do a super long slow bulk ferment so i never have a problem with gluten development using stretch and folds

Slapping is fun, but how in the hell does a slap stretch gluten? I'll stick with my traditional fold and press.

How do I make my sourdough sour? It always comes out tasting delicious, but not much different from regular bread.

It all depends on your region's airborne yeast. If you aren't getting a good sour result, order a starter from somewhere known for their sourdough.

Does it really depend on just the yeast? I'm in San Francisco.

You hit the kneading surface on the back swing, continue to stretch it toward you, then flop it back over itself, rotate, repeat. Why are you judging a technique you don't understand the basics of?

Most of the starter yeast comes from your hands or the flour itself, actually. If you want your dough more sour just use old unfed levain or do a really long ferment

When I use "Unbleached Bread Flour," am I making white bread? Should I buy whole wheat bread flour to make a healthier bread?

>Should I buy whole wheat bread flour to make a healthier bread?
yes

Bear in mind that whole wheat behaves very differently than white flour

about 20% of the loaf should be whole wheat flour. Ferment the whole wheat portion of the dough overnight.

Zojirushi bread maker
Making some excellent quality stuff so far, new at it but enjoying it immensely

unbleached bread flour makes white bread, yes. if you want to, purchase some whole wheat flour and incorporate it add up to 20-30% of the total flour. the high gluten ratio with the bread flour will compensate with the lower gluten of the whole wheat flour. if you can find fresh "high extraction whole wheat" flour (at a farmer's market or wherever), use that in a 50/50 ratio with your bread flour.

That crumb is all sorts of fucked up.

machines within machines within

I hand knead, but the only bread I've ever made was pizza dough on a few occasions.

What do you mean?

Depends on the kind of bread.