/litstagram/ literary Instagram discussion

Based Rupi has passed 1.6m followers on Instagram. Is the platform the greatest literature distributor in the history of mankind? Can it be used for quality writing or is it limited to being pure shit? Is Veeky Forums using Instagram to connect with fellow writers and readers? Discuss.

I've been binge reading everything the web has to offer and trying to apply it with little success so far. I can't find one quality writer to follow. Everyone that follows me unfollows the next day. Tell me it gets better.

I feel like having a litstagram is probably one of the most efficient ways to get your work and name out there, I see very little other options.

Rupi Kaur is a repulsive talentless whore and I hope a great reckoning is upon us.

I think so too, but I've noticed every successful writer on there is a "poet" that writes in the same vapid poorly constructed platitudes. Any thoughts on if there's potential for quality writing to perform well there?

Agreed. She really nailed her sjw marketing campaign though, for what it's worth. Period controversy and all. I'm curious if a good writer could replicate the same thing she did and succeed.

Your not wrong, I think if you actually studied what was popular amongst these people, spew out some trash you honestly think those people will like and then put your actual good quality work on there too you could get recognition for both. I've considered writing things I know a good chunk of litsagram would enjoy and taking a picture of it with an aesthetic background, I feel that would catch along. What do you think?

That's basically the approach I'm trying out now. I can absolutely see it working. There should be a huge group of people out there interested in quality writing. I'm just not sure to what extent a compromise is necessary or how to reach people that would be interested in the kind of writing I put out.

It's hard and it takes a lot of effort, I wasted my teens blogging and after about two years of consistent blogging and posting photos my photos ended up getting thousands of notifications each, shame I'm not interested and the things I was posting, but I suppose after some time and really putting work out there people would catch along, especially if your going at it with the angle you are.

Yeah, I'm guessing it just takes a lot of dedication and networking to just get noticed. I'm sure it helps if you can get on mainstream news by taking pics of your period blood too haha. Are you thinking of giving the Instagram thing a shot?

Hahaha.

Yeah I'm considering it pretty strongly actually, seems like the best way to get something out there now in days. I'm thinking about using a typewriter and and writing little things and posting them with like generic normie shit people would just eat up yaknow, like have a cup off coffee with some succulents in the corner maybe throw some crystals around it. I have a feeling it would work quite easily. Key too getting followers is too follow a bunch of people though.
How is Instagram working work uou?

Yeah people eat that kind of shit up. I think the Rupi parody memes here prove that really any random bullshit formatted in a normie-approved manner is basically good to go. I think you nailed the stuff you'd need. Just pair that with some love, depression, or sjw related themes and I can't see it failing really.

I've just been trying to skip all the generic normie shit entirely and just make cool images with some excerpts from my stuff. Got like 15 followers doing that but I'm pretty worried they're just doing the follow/unfollow on me. Pics are getting decent engagement from hashtags but again I can't tell how many people are actually into the writing.

I was thinking it might not be an awful idea to create some sort of Veeky Forums community and try to cross promote each other and so on. Only concern is that I guess it would kind of ruin the spirit of anonymity. People do Discords and stuff around here though so I'm not sure.

Milk and Honey is literally the worst book in existence. If you can think of a positive thing to say about a book that consists of "poems" which resemble Tumblr quotes I'll eat my hat.

Read the thread buddy. We're discussing if Instagram has potential for actual writers that aren't Rupi-tier trash.

Sorry I just fill with rage when I see her name and the fact that she has such a big following. I'm sure something good will come out of Instagram wrt to literature but at the moment it doesn't seem like a platform that any respectable writer would use to publish their work.

Yeah I could see getting feedback would be hard on Instagram, other then likes and what not. Guess it could be just more of a long term thing to gain a following, and you'd have to do something to get at least attention to your page, like a publicity stunt. Maybe something like hanging your work somewhere it shouldn't be, like An artistic critique on religion glued on a church then take a photo an post it on the gram. Or something yaknow.

I think any platform that gets you a public following is a good way to have a better chance of getting published, I don't understand how you don't see that.

Joseph McElroy has an instagram

I don't think there's anything particularly bad about Instagram itself. Plenty of quality visual artists using it well. I think for what it is, it's probably the best tailored social network for sharing literature. The main issue now is that it's famous for its vapid audience. But then again, there must be people interested in better writing somewhere there as well.

That's what I was thinking too. Just hard to imagine what that stunt could be for me being a white guy. Not really the hot commodity at this point.

Exactly.

That's interesting, but the man has only two pictures and basically no followers. It's tragic.

Do I feel you there man. Only thing I could think about is whoring out the being white thing yaknow? like instead of it being a negative thing, use it. Like writing about how inherently evil white men are, maybe dive into different perspectives of guys like trying to use women and things of the such, or guys being racist without there knowledge, try to make all the stories super deep and vague. it would be like " from a white men himself " kinda bullshit and I bet people would eat it up

Man, that top poem is actually kinda okay.

>i am not a hotel room i am home
>i am not street meat i am homemade jam

These two are horrible and you know it. The rest of the poem is pretty average. Pic related is actually pretty okay, though.

Jamming 15 images into an extended stanza with awkward line breaks doesn't make it a poem.

voice of my generation tbhq