Last thread: >>10099949

Last thread: Atheists and members of other Christian denominations are welcome. But please keep all discussion civil.

>Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. (1 Peter 4:10)

Thread theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=noetoc2W4Pc

Recommended Reading/Resources:
pastebin.com/PUWNWYyG
pastebin.com/u/wolfshiem

I forgot to add title, but I'll do so here:

/clg/ - Catholic Literature General

I worry you're stretching towards Protestant proselytization with these threads, user. Reminder that by doing charity to the wicked, you piles coals upon their heads.

There is no need for a catholic literature general especially not a permanent one. Write your literature recs in the sticky, open individual threads for individual literature based subjects and keep the catholic general on boards where it belongs.

And IF you'd have to make a literature-focused general where other denominations are welcome why not make a christian general or more fittingly religious literature general. This would open up the discussion instead of jerking off to your own pretended piety, would give room for all the people who like to discuss buddhism, islam etc. (ergo actually clean the board instead of bloat it) AND actually make it comparative instead of a bunch of christlarpers posting for larps sake.

As a sign of good will this gem. Probably what christians need right now. Steadfastness.

>There is no need for a catholic literature general

This was never about need. This was about individual interests being expressed.

>There is no need for a catholic literature general
this, Veeky Forums is a catholic board

As you probably note, religious Veeky Forums has a strong interest in Catholicism. Either you get a Catholic Lit General or you get a Religious Lit General dominated by Catholics who reject the opposition.

Catholic Lit General is the best idea.

Can anyone here refute this

Mary's a child abuser, and above the legal age of culpability, which the baby Jesus was not.

We don't need any general. If you want add a catholic section in the sticky. These threads are not about literature and the christlarpers browse /pol/ anyway and can have their general there. It's just through and through a bad idea.

And people like show why.

Is Catholicism compatible with anti-capitalism?

>would give room for all the people who like to discuss buddhism, islam etc
just make your own thread? no point in having these threads devolve into the eighth crusade

In Luke 1:38, Mary consents to being informed of the plan. Further, rape is a sexual act and no sex occurred. Hence the whole virgin birth thing.

Jesus is God.

Jesus is the incarnation of God. The incarnation of God did not impregnate Mary.

Hope that helped. The person obviously has no idea what they're talking about and said stupid shit.

>And people like show why.
no point in spamming the board with discussion of individual catholic literature when it's nice and contained in these

Again, it's never about need but the interests of individuals. If the thread is not valuable then it will die. These threads regularly have very good discussion.

I don't really post or contribute to those Catholic generals but what he's saying here is right: they regularly provide higher level discussion than other threads. Any regular lurker on Veeky Forums would concede as much.

There's no need to try and police this board like it's yours. If these guys want a regular general for Catholicism then what is the harm? Hide the threads if they really annoy you that much.

To a degree. It has a long tradition of having problems with Capitalism and Marxism.

Discussion of individual catholic literature would be about literature what generals generally are not. Certainly not on the level subject based threads would be.
This is about spamming cringey meme pics and deus vult to feel good about yourself.

Containment threads don't work and certainly not in this way because generals move way too fast because all the larpers "report in" and offtopic discussions like going to church (understandably) get thrown in.
A Peterson general, a bible general, a catholic general, which would then demand a protestant general, a /pol/ general would bloat this board out of proportion with sub par offtopic discussion and attract an userbase that is not primarily motivated to discuss literature.

This is board poison for ego stroking. All catholic literature related issues can be much better solved.

>If the thread is not valuable then it will die
And a new one will get in it's place. This is the nature of generals.
Proof: The OP didn't have a distinct reason to start this thread.

>These threads regularly have very good discussion.
And regularly very bad discussion. And regularly very good OR bad non-literature discussion.
/pol/ is for culture and politics, Veeky Forums is for religion and philosophy. Veeky Forums is for literature so only post if you want to discuss literature.

>This is board poison for ego stroking.

Says the guy trying to police it like he's a mod. You're taking all of this way too seriously. This is only Veeky Forums.

>And a new one will get in it's place. This is the nature of generals

This is blatantly untrue. You have no idea for what reason the OP decided to make another thread two days later.

Proof: we haven't had a poetry general in months. We haven't had a Dan Simmons General in a long time either, as with many many others.

>And regularly very bad discussion. And regularly very good OR bad non-literature discussion.

No, vast majority is good discussion and literature discussion or philosophical/theological discussion, within the rules of Veeky Forums as shown in the sticky.

Now thread policing damages discussion and is shitposting. Please do yourself a favor and cease. Report if you wish.

>Discussion of individual catholic literature would be about literature what generals generally are not.
ok so this user discussing the bible is not discussing literature? lel
>generals move way too fast
are you sure you're on the right board? just hide the thread if it bothers you this much
>off topic discussion gets thrown in
woah like every thread ever? outrageous!
>A Peterson general, a bible general, a catholic general, which would then demand a protestant general, a /pol/ general would bloat this board out of proportion with sub par offtopic discussion and attract an userbase that is not primarily motivated to discuss literature.
this doesn't even make sense
>And a new one will get in it's place. This is the nature of generals.
if no one is using them then no one will create one, just go back to r/books if you crave heavy moderation this badly

I personally don't have a problem with these threads, but I think people are objecting because Veeky Forums seems to be a natural place to hold them. It's likely that discussion would be shitty there though, and more infested with /pol/ trying to redefine Catholic virtues.

What are the most inaccessible of books on Christian spirituality? Cloud of Unknowing and Ladder of Divine Ascent are all that come to mind. Nothing to that level.

>This is blatantly untrue
Bruh the OP literally has no subject beyond starting a new general.

>vast majority is good discussion and literature discussion
Talk about blatantly untrue

>within the rules of Veeky Forums as shown in the sticky
That explicitely directs philosophical discussions to Veeky Forums.

>Now thread policing damages discussion and is shitposting
So far I'm the only one who recommended christian literature in this thread and suggested a more efficient way to
1. distribute general catholic literature knowledge via the sticky and
2. uphold the still good level of catholic literature discussion by making individual threads for individual subjects that focus on the literature part not on the catholic part.

Saying stuff like and don't drive down the discussion level is just dishonest.

>Report if you wish.
Mods don't even delete explicitely offtopic threads. Keep in mind that I in no way objected to discussing catholic literature, only the way it is handled because we all know it harms this board beyond the realms of the general.

Ascent of Mt. Carmel.
I'm btw. Just saying THIS would have been an actual subject to start a thread about

My diary desu

I was just meming, i post Veeky Forums is a catholic board at every chance for the free (You)s. There doesnt need to be a catholic general but i don't know why any of you fags care eitherway

Saw someone post this book a while back and looks very interesting. Has anyone read Jerusalem Delivered? Any opinions?

I have not but I think it is overshadowed by the Divine Comedy. I reckon Tasso is rarely read in Italy and read even less often outside Italy.

He's part of the Italian high school curriculum, biography and reading a few passages from his work. By comparison, still in high school, Dante's Comedy is read each week for one or two years, almost as a separate subject. The only other author who receives similar treatment is Manzoni. Tasso is more often compared to Ariosto, and Petrarch. At least back then, he was as famous as those other two.
I've yet to read his stuff.

Are you the Italian who was schooling my fellow Anglos and Americans on Dante? I think that I was the only native Anglo in that thread who said to read an Italian edition of the Divine Comedy rather than some criticism in English.

Frankly I'm impressed by your high school curriculum. We read more Steinbeck than Shakespeare in America and my British girlfriend told me they read Tennessee Williams instead of Shakespeare in college. We also rarely if ever read poetry in school. The state of Anglo education is pathetic.

>Catholic LARPers

holy shit lol

>Atheist LARPers