Oscar Wilde

Just bought the complete works of Oscar Wilde, aside from Dorian Gray I know nothing about his work (writing style, subject matter, etc) What kind of writer was he?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=27fpOzdmiVI
en.wikisource.org/wiki/Teleny,_or_The_Reverse_of_the_Medal
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

a homo

Great playright. Decent writer of childrens' stories. Average poet (by 1890s standards). Terrible essayist.

youtube.com/watch?v=27fpOzdmiVI

Ballad of Reading Gaol, the nightingale and the rose, and The Young King are his best.

Nigga you better fucking read Teleny, or the Reverse of the Medal. It will change your life.
>en.wikisource.org/wiki/Teleny,_or_The_Reverse_of_the_Medal

Was Wilde a sadist? 95% of his childrens' stories are about someone suffering and dying horribly, usually a beautiful boy.

Sounds like I have a fun read ahead of me

>gay sex
You won't get me this time

Thanks for that it was funny as hell, Now I definitely look forward to reading it

I think it was the christ story that fascinated him.

I liked The Importance of Being Earnest and some of his short stories best.

Why are you not reading Dorian Gray? It is his defining novel. You cannot be a reader of Wilde if you haven't read it.

He was a cool homo who understood the beauty of life and he glorified youth and physical beauty, something that is uncommon with elitist artists of today.

His love for aesthetics and purity are reflected in his writing.

Gay sex where a dude dies from having a bottle shoved up his ass and shattering, nigga.

I'll give it a shot then

Couldn't you argue that that in itself is a manifestation of sadism?
I'm honestly fascinated by this.

Oh please. Only a few even resemble that plot. What about the Nightingale or the Giant or the Rocket or the Happy Prince? None of them were specifically about suffering and dying.

More like the Picture of Dorian GAY

(Homosexuality is a subtext in the work.)

If only you had all of his writings at hand and could read them and judge for yourself instead of creating shit threads.

His non-fiction is solid. Read The Critic as Artist and The Decay of Lying.

Skip De Profundis, it's 100 pages of unbearable whining and blaming others for his own mistakes.

oscar wilde is not gay you revisionist faggot

You blind, blind nigga.
>Nightingale
Nightingale suffers and dies for student, student gets his heart broken
>Giant
Boy bearing the stigmata of Christ appears and talks about the "wounds of love"
>Rocket
The rocket fizzles out and doesn't achieve any of his aspirations
>Happy Prince
Prince literally tears himself apart to help others, swallow freezes to death too

Each of these stories, with the exception of the Rocket, features a martyrdom. Nightingale and Happy Prince have martyrdom as their central theme.

His kids books are relatively enjoyable, slightly dated fables with a biblical vibe. Dorain Gray is a masterpiece. The plays are funny and well written.

His aphorisms and wit are up there with anyone.

Is The Duchess of Padua a good place to start?