What's the hardest dish you have ever made that turned out well?

What's the hardest dish you have ever made that turned out well?

Smoked brisket

Thai coconut chicken soup making my own chicken stock and harvesting actual lemongrass. its a fairly complex list of ingredients and order is important.

i followed the cake recipe on the box of of the cocoa box.

i was amazed it actually came out well 'cause i fuck up almost everything else in life.

Your post made me sad.

yeah im also a fuck up at making people happy :/

>harvesting actual lemongrass
Ooo that sounds really cool.

Thai cuisine somewhat bores me however.

barbecue brisket for me. only done it once before, didn't turn out well. was doing 2 boneless pork butts and a pork belly at the same time, cooking in the middle of the night for roughly 13 hours total. one of the butts didn't turn out super well because it was too close to the fire box, but the brisket turned out perfect. probably a 40 hour project, considering that the brisket was brining (in dragon's milk) for two days. i had the pork in a brine from a beer that was a one-of experimentation between Founder's and BLiS.

as for highest labor:time ratio, fucking pie. especially my salted caramel apple pie, which uses layered slices instead of wedges. and the crust is always very labor intensive to make.

get better!

kys

probably roast chicken christmas dinner with all the sides, it was a dinner for two so that probably helped with the difficulty but it still felt nice.

this, without a texas crutch

There was a complicated recipe for a shrimp pasta that a coworker gave me.
It called for like some weird type of vinegar, a specific type of white wine, like 3 different fresh herbs, a specific uncommon cheese, the whole deal.

I actually gave the effort and spent like $30 on ingredients for this single dish and it was just pretty good.

A couple of days later I remove all of the weird shit, no wine, sprinkled some Italian spice instead of 2 tbs of oregano, 3 tbs of basil, and 1 tbs of dill weed, swapped shrimp for chicken, and just used parm cheese and it was infinitely better. Much better tasting because it didn't have like everything in the kitchen pantry in it, was cheaper and faster to make.

Recipes have diminishing returns. Is it really worth it to make it super complicated most of the time? Probably not.

mcchicken casserole

I once made a black forest gateau, I've never been able to get it right again since, even with the same ingredients, same room temperature.

Probably because the second time around, you dumbed the taste down to your own liking

a baby.

8 years and kid's still not retarded.

Well then...

What do you like?

Rude!!

Good job, user

Sauerbraten from scratch. Turned out pretty good

tonkatsu ramen with chashu porkbelly, burnt garlic paste, marinated eggs,sesamechili oil,vegetables.
its like 2 days on and off work, delicious but i only made it twice, you really need to be in the mood for an all-out project

I made gnochi from scratch

I know gnochi is little bitch tier, but whatever

that just means you didn't hit it hard enough

I cooked turkey dinner with gravy and dressing last thanksgiving for the first time. Turned out so good I can't wait until next thanksgiving.

(You)

i get that on occasion at traditional restaurants. places serve it.

get outta hee

I made chicken kiev once. I hate temping chicken in the oven already, but now I gotta temp thin-ass chicken that's filled with hot butter and fried? It's a wonder I didn't burn or overcook it.

Probably bread and chicken broth

Our family does that on thanksgiving and on Christmas.

Some super complicated chilli. Took 2 days to make (because you have to let it sit and cool in between) and consisted of an unfathomable long list of ingredients, among which you find coffee, beer and all kinds of crazy shit.

It tasted bomb! Best thing I ever made. Unfortunately my family are the biggest bitch ass niggas in the universe and didn't want to it because WAAAAH TOO SPICY WAAAH!

sourdough bread
took 2 weeks to get the wild caught yeast to thrive and for me to get the flour/water mix right.
and then after all that making the bread itself takes three days of mixing and slowly folding and letting it rise (makes 2 loaves)

turns out amazing every time, but i only have the patience to make it like once every 6 months... in the meantime the starter makes really awesome (and easy) pizza dough...