Simpsons-in-the-Strand

Simpson's-in-the-Strand is one of London's oldest traditional English restaurants. Situated in the Strand, it is part of the Savoy Buildings, which also contain one of the world's most famous hotels, the Savoy.

After a modest start in 1828 as a smoking room and soon afterwards as a coffee house, Simpson's achieved a dual fame, around 1850, for its traditional English food, particularly roast meats, and also as the most important venue in Britain for chess in the nineteenth century. Chess ceased to be a feature after Simpson's was bought by the Savoy Hotel group of companies at the end of the century, but as a purveyor of traditional English food, Simpson's has remained a celebrated dining venue throughout the twentieth century and into the twenty-first. P.G. Wodehouse called it "a restful temple of food".

Tour videos:

youtu.be/3_GhGgIOD5E
youtube.com/watch?v=SwC7oAAVk1E&index=4&list=PLCJRrExH6pfPW7wJ9W2Otae5U9PEDe6XO
youtube.com/watch?v=I2tTHbTgvmw

Other urls found in this thread:

en.chessbase.com/post/london-chess-classic-2016-closing-ceremony
londonunveiled.com/2013/01/14/simpsons/
thelondonmagazine.co.uk/going-out/london-restaurants/simpson’s-on-the-strand.html
theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/dec/10/simpsons-in-the-strand-london-i-cant-love-it-any-more-restaurant-review
books.google.com/books?id=bG8WAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA60#v=onepage&q&f=false
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

getting rarer and rarer to see that

en.chessbase.com/post/london-chess-classic-2016-closing-ceremony

Guests put on their best attire and head down to Simpsons-in-the-Strand, an iconic London venue which also boasts chess history.

The evening starts off with a champagne reception and a bit of light-hearted blitz amongst the players…at least that’s how it starts out! But, when you put 50,000 ELO points in one room, it can only mean trouble!

The Classic players are all relaxed after their long event is over and they often please some of their fans by facing them in a game or two. Some retired English GMs come out of the woodwork especially for this event, as playing against the world elite over a glass or two is something they just don’t want to miss!

Levon Aronian welcomes a familiar face… Grandmaster Dave Norwood

The dinner is always of high quality at Simpsons and the wine is always free-flowing, which definitely helps! However, the main attraction of the evening, is the tandem simul given by the Classic 10. There are usually 17-20 tables of guests, all with a chess board and a chess “expert” on their table. The Classic 10 take it in turn to make a move on each board, mixing up their styles of play and having fun on each table. Of course, some Grandmasters take it a lot more seriously than others and do not give the guests any chances whatsoever.

londonunveiled.com/2013/01/14/simpsons/

Simpson’s still focuses on British ingredients with Scottish beef a specialty. Meats are carved at the tableside from antique silver-domed trolleys – a practice that started in the mid 19th Century to avoid disturbing the chess games and allowing food to be taken directly to the chess tables. This style of service continues today. In 1974 it was one of only 9 London restaurants to be the first recipients of a Michelin Star in London. The restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The Knights Bar is open for drinks and small bites from 11 onwards.

i like your thread user.

Viral marketing shill faggot

I wish you'd at least put in some effort.

kys namefag

Go fuck yourself

But do they serve steamed hams?

No, just Sneed hams.

-this has been a post by the chop project

i suck old men cock

This is the oldest known Staunton Chess set in the world, "Old No. 8". It was the 8th set of the original production run by Jaques of London. It was made in 1849 and brought out to Simpsons a few years ago for an exhibition game with Gary Kasparov.

The place looks nice.
Is it very expensive?

Sneed hams (formerly chuck roast)

£35 for the roast beef + sides.
pic related is roast grouse, £16.

Pretty inexpensive considering the kind of place it is.

Yeah, that's not unreasonable. I thought it might be way out of my league but I could afford that.
Might go next time I visit London. I'll make a note of it anyway.

Nah, $50 a plate is pretty standard for old fashioned upscale steakhouses, and you're going to be spending at least as much on drinks as you do food if you have at least two glasses of anything halfway decent.

Review before renovation and new menu:

thelondonmagazine.co.uk/going-out/london-restaurants/simpson’s-on-the-strand.html

"Your mother always told you it was rude to draw attention to the fact that old people smell funny, even if they do, and it is tempting to suggest the same should be true for grand old buildings. But when the smell is unmissable, as it is at Simpsons-in-the-Strand, something has to be said, doesn’t it?

The smell is so terribly English, so much the very essence of country house and faded aristocracy. It is the smell of school dinners and wet tweed and damp dog. It is the smell of a century’s worth of boiled cabbage. "

Wow, those are insanely reasonable prices. I jelly. Over here places like that would quickly congeal into hipsters/nu-males jacking up prices and taking a flamethrower to traditional aesthetics.

After they updated:

theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/dec/10/simpsons-in-the-strand-london-i-cant-love-it-any-more-restaurant-review

"Simpson's in the Strand, is unique. Here, if he wishes, the Briton may, for the small sum of half a dollar, stupefy himself with food. The God of Fatted Plenty has the place under his protection. Its keynote is solid comfort. It is a pleasant, soothing, hearty place – a restful temple of food. No strident orchestra forces the diner to bolt beef in ragtime. No long central aisle distracts his attention with its stream of new arrivals. There he sits, alone with his food, while white-robed priests, wheeling their smoking trucks, move to and fro, ever ready with fresh supplies"

books.google.com/books?id=bG8WAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA60#v=onepage&q&f=false

>In 1984 Simpson's dropped its rule forbidding women from using the panelled street-level dining-room at lunchtime.

You're fucking retarded, my man. In every city in America there are at least a couple long-standing steakhouses with upscale atmospheres and good service that have similar prices.

Kek, eat shit faggot

Being this new

This must be one of the nice bits of London. When I was there it was like a modern day remake of 'Zulu'.

Pork cheek to start, Scottish beef for a main, and tracle sponge for afters. Probs a macallan 12 whilst waiting for food, then water, then a nice port and a pipe full of Danish Gold after the meal.

>traditional English restaurant
>Pajeet servers

Of course.

>getting dressed up and paying premium prices to eat at a glorified Toby Carvery

Absolute state of this country.

>traditional English restaurants
sounds disgusting

>A service charge of 12.5% has been included

Fuck the fuck off

looks depressing and boring

Not diverse enough, fuck white people and fuck donald drumpf

It's got coloured staff in the videos, so it's quite diverse. Food looks garbage though.

Isn't that what nontippers want? Instead of paying a tip you pay the price listed and the restaurant pays the staff a living wage?

I wish it was true. My city is over 200 years old and the most upscale place here serves mediocre food for really high prices. The interior is straight out of 1975 too.

Is it Halal? I would like to bring my harem and if it doesn't accept my culture by Allah I will shut this place down.

I think a Mr. Bean movie was filmed in that restaurant.

why is that chicken so overcooked

the british cant cook for shit, this is a meme restaurant.

And that is a meme comment

>Reddit memeing with an attention whore namefag
The state of you

>pretends he’ll ever get to come to England
Why would you worry, Cletus?

Don't confuse traditional British cuisine, with the British ability to cook.

They can cook fine, but their traditional food is garbage. Thankfully it's not 1940 any more so it doesn't matter.

Nontippers just want to snub waitstaff

35 quid for a couple of slices of beef, a yorkshire pudding and a couple of roasties. An extra fiver for some peas on the side. Then add your service charge on and you're looking at forty five quid.

That's before you've paid for three pints of Tetleys before Sunday Lunch, two pints with your dinner, and a Bells to finish.

fuck that.

You seem like you're english, are there still good local places to go for food like this that isn't this expensive?

Yes - find yourself a Sunday Carvery that isn't part of a chain (Toby and Crown are the big players that I would avoid if you're looking for something like Simpsons)

Golf clubs are often a good bet for a decent independent Sunday Carvery, as are Country Pubs.

The format is slightly different - rather than the roast beef coming to you on a trolley, you go to the Carving table, where any decent carvery will have a minimum of Beef, Turkey, Gammon and Lamb waiting. Tell the chef what you would like (choosing a combination of meats is totally fine) and he will carve for you and offer you a freshly baked Yorkshire Pudding, after which you can add a wide variety of vegetables, gravies and condiment sauces to your plate before returning to your table to enjoy your Sunday Lunch.

Prices range from around eight to 12 pounds per person depending on where you are in England.

Is this what britbong shilling is like?

cheeky artists drew the room to be higher and more impressive

back then, people were shorter tbf

>manlet-o-vision
nah I mean the whole room proportions are different too.

True. Comparing the two images closely it looks like they shortened the wood panels in the refit - I guess it was cheaper to use less wood and more paint.

>beef
>English

I'm pretty sure beef is French.

Sounds comfy as hell user.

Boeuf.
I can't stand english pour être honnête.
A language so simple and stupid, even a monkey could learn it in two weeks.

>International language, wondering why.

I count myself lucky to be English every Sunday Lunch user.

It's American actually.
British "cuisine" is just a poor man's American cuisine.

>I'm pretty sure beef is French.
Believe it or not beef is the flesh of a dead cow.

Spokane checking in.

tl;dr but
>naming your "fancy" restaurant after a shitty cartoon
Why? Talk about obsessed.

Where and what the fuck is this?

I'm in Spokane for work next month, I want to eat here.

Toby varies a lot. Some of them are genuinely top nosh and pretty cheap

The Davenport... there are many great restaurants around town.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

When I'm in Spokane (every few months) it's usually just Mexican joints and Zips.

I miss the surprising amount of good restaurants in Pullman/Moscow.

>there are many great restaurants around town.
This is a troll. We are nowhere near the level of Branson or Chicago when it comes to fine dining. If you think Denny's or the Davenport are fine dining you need to kill yourself.
Sounds like you'll love this little place called Red Lobster on Division St.

>Sounds like you'll love this little place called Red Lobster on Division St.
That was shit.

More like I fly in to town, work a full 10 hour day, have like 2 hours to eat before I have to go to sleep to be up to work another 10 hour day before flying out.

I prefer Seattle for food but I don't go there near as often .

I agree, the Red Lobster in Seattle is to die for.

Have you been to the Steam Plant? Kinda cool to have a beer there. Chirchill’s has better food, but if you never stepped foot in the Davenport, it’s worth having lunch there.

There is a serious amount of one-off little places that have some very nice fare.

I did step foot in the Davenport and they turned me away for wearing a Pokemon shirt.