Is the history of philosophy after Hegel all just people being upset that he was right about everything?

Is the history of philosophy after Hegel all just people being upset that he was right about everything?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iOk6HB609po
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

why he so write?

>base your materialism on Fichte
>right about anything
fuck off scribbler

Yes

BTFOing Hegel just makes him stronger
t. dialectics

Hegel was just an earnest, decent, serious reader serious doer kind of guy whom to come to know is to sincerely love. Even if he was wrong about most everything (as perhaps we all must be) his WAY of perceiving things is thoroughly human and therefore like babby bear's porridge: just right.

Hegel the obfuscous teutonic hieromancer must be forever cursed for unleashing the dialectic upon mankind. His arcane incantations will bring about communism and make us all into trannies.

Hegel is a large source of degenerate post modern inspiration so no.

thread

Hegel is literally the most influential philosopher. There is not a single philosopher after him who hasn't dealt with him.

his prose is so generative he's a joy to read

I don't agree with him

We can only hope

I think that title would go to Plato or Aristotle, actually.

my man
slow down
lookin good

Where do I start with Hegel? I feel Phenomenology might be a wrong introduction to his work.

How many pages is it?

That's Nietzsche and Heidegger also. Don't blame the philosopher for the followers.

Philosophy of History

There are only seven planets.

From what I've heard his Lectures on Philosophy are supposed to be an easy read compared to the Phenomenology or Science of Logic.

Eight if you count God.

This is true with his lectures in general, on religion, and on aesthetics as well. But this post is right to suggest one begin with the Lectures on the History of Philosophy first, and then perhaps on to what the othet user suggested, The Philosophy of History. Gets a little confusing: the two are VERY distinct works.

He was wrong about the number of planets

He's ok but he failed to complete the system of German Idealism. Trump will do that.
youtube.com/watch?v=iOk6HB609po

Start with the phenomenology, read secondary sources (Hyppolite) as needed.

The same can be said of Descartes, Kant or Plato. What's so unique about Hegel?

Plato's dialectic consists of human dialogue, Hegel's of spiritual (or mental-like) interaction and subsequent movement. DesCartes has become a curiosity, a museum piece. Kant the property of a different style of philosophizing altogether (for the most part).

>Plato's dialectic consists of human dialogue
>Plato is only contribution to philosophy is his dialogues
His dialogues were a tool to help with critical thinking. That isn't where he actually did his real philosophy. That Whitehead quote was made up over nothing. Hegel is very influential, Plato is more so because the very same people that react to Hegel also react to Plato.

It's a book. They made it up.

Schopenhauer pls go

I don't understand, phenomenology of the spirit was writen before Hussrel being born, but Hussrel created phenomenology. What the hell, laddos?

>Hegel would have been the greatest thinker who ever lived, said Kierkegaard, if only he had regarded his system as a thought-experiment. Instead he took himself seriously to have reached the truth, and so rendered himself comical.

True. But that's clearly a historicist statement, and Hegel owns that domain..

What do I need from Platon to even think about going into Hegel?
I'm big on Aristotle but only read Republic from Platon

The term itself comes from the 18th century and even Kant briefly considered calling his philosophy "phenomenology" in a letter he wrote. Hegel uses it to mean something like "the science of what appears (before consciousness)." Husserl simply does the same, but in a more Kantian way again, as he came out of the neo-Kantian milieu.

I think Husserl says somewhere that Hume was "doing" phenomenology, just not completely or properly.

>the philosophers in the immediate aftermath of hegel are all already contained within his system
why the frick did they even bother?

Boyo!

Freddy & Martin didn't believe in 'the right side of History' bs tho, which is why commies like OP focus on Hegel

Not if there's no synthesis. And there can't be one from beyond the grave

> Either one admits that antinomies exist, in which case pure reason is an insufficient criterion for epistemological-certainty, reducing Hegel's system to an empty thought-experiment with no bearing on reality;
> Or one admits that the principle of non-contradiction is absolutely cancelled, which amounts to saying that truth is in a continual process of becoming, reducing the truth of Hegel's system to a mere moment in the dialectic, as opposed to an absolute truth.

The absolute state of rationalism. KEK.

Well those commies read Hegel because of Marx and not vice-versa. Anyone going in blind in Hegel would think he is literally the Boehme or Meister Eckhart of his time, now with a more violent and totalizing God.

The taint of association with marxist materialism should one day be gone from Hegel.

Start with overviews if not my Hegel blog: empyreantrail.wordpress.com

Idk how people suggest starting anywhere but the Phenom or Science of Logic since everything else is literally gibberish without the technical knowledge from the Logic alone. If you have no idea of what concept structures are key, you're going to severely misunderstand Hegel's points. History of Philosophy and Phil of Hist are big ones: you'll miss out on the basis of the entire projects, and the details will be lost on you due to not just lacking technical knowledge, but because it requires an autistic attention and thinking to catch the structure of movement. The Philosophy of History, for example, moves in a dialectic of driving Spirits as principles, not in any development within them which Hegel explains (which is part of why it sucks).

The Phenomenology is, in theory, possible to understand on one's own, but that thing is so technical in itself that it would not even be a stroke of genius to grasp the real argument without any guidance, but a historical fluke. It makes sense in general chunks, but the details of transitions won't. The ultimate lesson will also be half lost on you without learning the trick Hegel had hoped you would learn at the end in Absolute Knowing. It took reading the Logic for me to grasp wtf was going on and why in detail. Once you have that, it's still a nightmare, but a workable nightmare.

Ideas don't go to graves

>"start with the logic"
>starts with the logic
>it tells me to start with the phenemology

anthony how are you everywhere on the internet people talk about hegel

I rather enjoyed the lecture series, and the Hegel I have- Phenomenology, Encyclopedia, Lectures- suits what I need him for fine (so long as I can make my own thinking clear, and can use Hegel here and there by way of example- for instance what can be made of his rather simple rationale for ranking the arts the way he does in the Aesthetic Lectures- what does it matter that I don't have him in his full philosophical integrity if I'm not a philosopher myself?)
That said, the Encyclopedia Logic was perhaps the most helpful of his books I read. Do I REALLY need tackle the Science? My aims are again, purely literary.

Web scrapers.

No

biggle rig :DDD

> NPC in the crowd hears "German Idealism"
> immediately assumes he's referring to a vague idea of Hitler and Aryan eugenics

If you want to wax lyrical and romantic like Kojeve, yes, yes you do want to grasp the basics of the Logic. If you're a fan of analogical thinking, the immanent logic of Hegel is like an analogical beating stick with red hot nails sticking out of it. The stuff on aesthetics is something I just recently looked into, the reasoning is missed without the Logic. It's basic stuff, but important. But if you don't care, do what you want, just don't claim it's Hegel.

I'm not everywhere I should be.